Maternity sanitary pads

Unicorn

Reaction score
Are there specific maternity sanitary pads and if so where do they sell them or what would people recommend for using after the birth please? xx

Yes there are. They are widely available, I used tesco ones. They're big, well padded and soft. Normal pads just don't do the job the first week

My friend advised ones with witch hazel in as helps healing however I can't find any so I might do some myself, you can put some witch hazel on and then freeze them, meant to be more comfy after birth!? X

I actually bought tena lady pants after my son was born, after a recommendation of another new mum on here, they were brilliant and you won't ruin your underwear I'll deffo be doing it this time

Asda little angels mat pads! (Down baby isle not the sanitary isle)

10 for 98p and they were fab. Never leaked once. Stocked up again this time.

Unicorn UHW will provide u with their mahoosive pads while ur in hosp xxx

Last edited:
I got mine from boots. But best bet is to steal from he hospital
And ataah hem in your bag

I got mine from tesco. I've got a few packs of maxi ones for the first few days, then some thinner ones (but still maternity pads) for after that. They're a lot better at catching blood than tena or normal sanitary towels so highly recommended!! Xxx

My friend advised ones with witch hazel in as helps healing however I can't find any so I might do some myself, you can put some witch hazel on and then freeze them, meant to be more comfy after birth!? X
Dickinson's Brand Witch Hazel Hemorrhoidal Pads 100 Count https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001ZZJZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_KQBgxb467BVCM

Can buy them on Amazon. They're for piles and vaginal irritation. Not sure if they're just something you'd need to put over a mat-towel though xx

I just used always night pads which worked well for me xx

Dickinson's Brand Witch Hazel Hemorrhoidal Pads 100 Count https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001ZZJZK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_KQBgxb467BVCM

Can buy them on Amazon. They're for piles and vaginal irritation. Not sure if they're just something you'd need to put over a mat-towel though xx

Oh fab thank you! They get good reviews on Amazon and the reviews are from women post birth :) X

Excellent, thank you very much ladies xx

I've got a pack of thesehttp://www.pravera.co.uk/shop/organ...organic-cotton-first-day-maternity-pads-12pcs and a couple of freebie natracare maternity pads (http://www.hawthornhealth.com/general-health-c7/new-mother-maternity-pads-10s-p24312/s28102?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=natracare-new-mother-maternity-pads-10-apos-s-ntc-3045&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=COD1u-S2pcwCFfgW0wodGVgNzA)
I usually use washable SanPro :oops: so I was a bit dubious about going back to disposables, but these look ok. Not sure whether I'll buy another pack of them or just use up what I already bought and then go back to my regular pads. Suppose it depends how heavy the bleeding is. :oooo:

Last edited:
Had my first go at using maternity towels this week, and good god they're awful. I understand the need for thickness, but they slipped and slide everywhere. I need ones with wings I think - can I use extra long/extra protection "normal" towels, or bladder weakness ones instead?

They are so thick, I went looking today and felt them. I also had to wear one when I had leakage myself and it was really horrible. Obviously this being my first I don't know how much we will bleed but iv heard it's alot. I would like ones with wings also as they do move and don't offer protection on the sides.

I used Boots pads- didn't need wings even though I do for normal sanitary towels. I thought they were great- the thickness gives really good cushioning for all the bruising etc from the birth and I found they stayed in one place really well. I might be wrong but bladder weakness ones might not have the right kind of absorbency.

With my first (12 yrs ago) I used Boots and they were really soft and nice when you're a bit sore. But then when I had my second 2 yrs later and bought the same ones they'd changed them and they were thinner (still thick but not as thick and cushiony, first time round it was like sitting on cotton wool lol).
I wasn't as keen on them second time round. It was 9yrs ago though so I don't know if they are better again now or not.

Had my first go at using maternity towels this week, and good god they're awful. I understand the need for thickness, but they slipped and slide everywhere. I need ones with wings I think - can I use extra long/extra protection "normal" towels, or bladder weakness ones instead?
You don't have to get the thick ones. They do ones similar to a normal pad that are much thinner x

Asda little angels were the best I used. Didn't like Boots own ones xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back