Maternity towels vs Sanitary towels

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by My1stBaby, Jan 15, 2012.

1. My1stBaby

My1stBaby Well-Known Member

Can anybody tell me whether specific maternity towels are any different to normal sanitary towels for after the birth..? I ended buying Always night pads with wings as I know they're good but then suddenly thought what if maternity towels have something specific that normal pads dont have....

xxx

2. BabyBrain

BabyBrain Well-Known Member

I'm severely allergic to sanitary towels so am trying tena lady instead. The mw said if I react to them they will give me heavy duty surgical dressings to use. From what I've seen mat pads are longer, when women lose fluids down there it goes to the back more than the front so don't have them too far forward xxxxxxxxx

3. kerry5a

kerry5a Well-Known Member

I got told that maternity pads are better after birth because they are thicker so give you more padding. I must say after having my first the extra padding was a comfort if you know what I mean lol

4. My1stBaby

oh no what a nightmare!! hmm ok well thats why I got longer 'night' pads to wear for the day aswell cause I've been warned about how much you bleed. Not looking forward to that bit :s

Our dates are only one day apart so we cant even try and then update with our experience ! Is this your first??

xxx

5. BabyBrain

BabyBrain Well-Known Member

Yeah it's my first :D I am excitedly pooping my pants lol

Personally I wouldn't use the always ones in hospital cos chances are it'll be hot and the plastic backing might make you sweaty and uncomfortable. It's always that triggered my allergy and I ended up with terrible blisters all in the foof area and down the insides of my legs :( although they have probably changed how they make them now.

I have a feeling this little monkey will be early so you never know lol xxxxxxxxx

6. My1stBaby

Haha me too i keep dreaming about going into labour and having baby, in all my dreams it doesnt hurt so maybe thats a sign that my labour will be pain free.... pah I wish!

ok maybe ill get proper maternity pads for the first week and then start using the normal pads when its slowed down a bit (im hoping it slows down after a week lol)

xxx

7. nikki8092

nikki8092 Well-Known Member

Maternity pads are bigger and thicker, when i had both mine i was going through one every half hour and they were soaked so normal pads would have been useless. Im going to be stocking up as i took 20 in for an overnight stay with jake and hubby ended up buying me more. xx

8. nikki8092

nikki8092 Well-Known Member

P.S you only need the maternity ones for a few days xx

9. misscrazycooki

misscrazycooki Well-Known Member

The hospital provided me with some random ones of their own. they were more paper than plastic. I ended up using my own once I moved off the labour ward. I didn't move for two days from an infection hehe x

10. My1stBaby

ok thanks for your advice ill go and get some maternity towels for the first few days then :)

xxx

11. Nonabean

Nonabean Well-Known Member

The maternity pads allow the MWs to better monitor what your blood loss is, as normal sanitary towels are more absorbent. That's why they want you to use the maternity pads when you're in the hospital. xx

12. Rachaellius

Rachaellius Well-Known Member

You'll defo need maternity ones for at least a few days afterwards, they are much thicker. I found myself wearing two maternity pads for a few days, because my bleeding was quite heavy and because it was extra padding when sitting down xx

13. niknaks

niknaks Well-Known Member

Id say maternity pads because of the length. I also used nighttime sanitary pads because of the length but had to use two as they aren't long enough. Xxx

14. lrb

lrb Well-Known Member

With the pads being so thick surely it's uncomfortable with normal knickers???? Like I almost wanna say gaps either side of the pads as they will b so thick! My friend said she wore her boyfriends boxers to help hold things in.. What else do u all think u will wear? Just bigger knickers??? X

15. TORino

TORino Well-Known Member

I am so dreading this bit.

I used to wear cycling shorts when I was younger under my PJs when I went to bed to hold everything together and for extra protection my periods were that heavy.

I hate hate hate pads.

16. My1stBaby

i used to have to wear two night pads during the night for my heavy periods and id still leak on bedding etc and i never managed to solve this problem so ive got my thinking cap on for when the time comes..... cycling shorts is a good idea.....but OH will think im mad lol

Im gonna get some bigger knickers but want them to be really tight too..... are there specific maternity knickers?

xx

17. Constantstar

Constantstar Well-Known Member

I bought both and got to say the maternity ones although bulkier were much softer and reliable do the first few days/ weeks , then I moved on to sanitary towels x

18. Zoeox

Zoeox Well-Known Member

My friend who had her baby back in November, used the thicker Mat towels for the first few heavier days and then moved onto normal towels as she said they are the same as smaller Mat towels, which I think I'll be doing too. x

19. lrb

lrb Well-Known Member

Got some incontenant pads do u recon they will be any good?

20. JoJo79

JoJo79 Well-Known Member

was gonna say the same i ended up doubling up on maternity pads after having my girls after id had 2 "gushing" incidents!! xxxx