maternity leave - help, worried i've planned it too late!

pinkclara

Reaction score
hi girls

i'm a newbie to tri 3 - can't believe its gone so fast!

anyway, starting to worry that i've made a complete hash of my maternity leave;

planning to work until 3rd August - have then got 2 weeks holiday, which means maternity leave will start around due date.

have felt great this pregnancy (until now) - really struggling since warmer weather as job involves a lot of driving to and from clients. working full time, but its also the type of work where i often have to stay later until a problem is resolved.

as i can only take 6 months off - my plan was to go off as late as possible, but i'm now concerned that i will be so tired when LO arrives.

what do you think? thought some of you lovely ladies who are further along would be able to advise!?

thanks clara xxx

It's ttotally upto u Hun. Maybe see how u feel when the weather goes a bit cooler again but u don't want to do too much and get urself too tired before baby is here. If ur finding it too hard har a word with work about changin ur dates. they should definitely be sympathetic and understand xxx good luck xxx

I finished at 37+2 startin with 2 weeks annual leave and mat leave startin the week I'm due,
Yes I was shattered havin an hours commute each way, havin swollen ankles but I wouldn't have changed it for the world.
I'm actually bored now and just waiting.
Its definately a case of how you are and how you can cope x

Everyone manages differently hun. I was to work up until 1 June (this Friday) when I'll be 36w5 but I really started to struggle with my shift work. I was either starting work at 7.30am which meant getting up at 6ish or I was working until 10.30pm. Definitely not a good combination when pregnant even through the work at reception in Leisure Centre isn't that strenuous lol. I ended up finishing 2 weeks ago but was in fortunate position of being able to take 3 weeks annual leave before maternity starts. I'm not due back to work until 15 March and get new leave allocation on 1 April. :dance::dance:

See how you feel closer to the time. Your employer shouldn't be holding you fast to the date you gave as they have to understand that you don't know how your pregnancy will progress. xx

hey hun
your due the day before me!
im working until the 31st July....when ill be 37 weeks.
im taking 2 weeks hol and my maternity leave will start 14th Aug
i sit in an office so im feeling ok so far
i make sure i get out at lunch time most of the time
i go for a walk
but who knows how ill feel in the next 8-9 weeks as I get bigger
im just hoping keeping active and eating healthy will make me cope better!
heat is ok.....apart from the prickly heat that has attacked my arm!
xx

I'm working up to 38 weeks too, for the same reasons as you, I'd like more time with the LO when he arrives. I know it'll be hard and I'll probably be shattered but its only temporary and I know I'll enjoy the time with Pickle instead.

I figure that so long as I continue to eat well, keep hydrated and get early nights to combat any tiredness during the day I should be ok. It might be a different story when I get to 36 weeks but its only an extra two weeks.

Have you got air-con in your car or can you plan your journeys to include a short 1- min rest stop? Could your work adjust your working hours so that you dont have to stay so late?
xx

I think it all depends on the individual and your job. In the early days of pregnancy when you think about the future, it's like reading about something, and until you've actually lived it, you never really know how you're going to feel, physically and mentally.
If you need to finish sooner, then do so, your body is obviously telling you to slow down.
I'm a mobile hairdresser and I'm due to finish at 34 weeks, I just know that the travelling and standing for so long isn't going to be achievable after that point, and because I'm self employed I'm having to start doing some work 6 weeks after this little one arrives, and as hard as that will be, it's necessary to keep our heads above water and baby will be none the wiser, and in the safe hands of my mum. You must look after yourself for now so that you and your baby stay well xx

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1clqs5

I originally planned to finish on 1st June when I'd be 37+5 but then I just got sooo tired and my mind was not on the job at all - day dreaming about baby all day long!! So I brought it forward a week and added in a few days extra annual leave into the weeks before that. So from 34 weeks ish I worked two weeks of only 3 working days then off on may leave from just over 36 weeks. My mat leave officially still starts on June 1st though. I used annual leave. I also won't get long with baby at home.

I have had a great pregnancy and it just suddenly hit me out of the blue at 33/34 weeks how tired I was. You just need to go with the flow and see how u feel. Xx

The difficulty in saying anything is that we're all so different during pregnancy, so it's hard to judge.

Personally, I finished at 36 weeks and I wish I'd stayed longer, especially as I can only have a couple of months off. The past 4 weeks have been very boring and have dragged like hell, I haven't been any more tired whatsoever and tbh would quite happily go and do a shift tomorrow! x

don't have more advice than the other ladies, just wanted to welcome you to tri 3

Hi, I'm 32 weeks on Wednesday. And when I finish up
My job I will be 33weeks and 2days!! I work in retail, an on my feet 9-6, so it's very tiring and this heat isn't good! I am very lucky I am taking 5weeks holidays before starting my mat leave. I think it's harder than I ever imagined. Is there anyway you could take additional holidays?xxx

thanks for the replies girls!
- had a chat with my manager and i can move the date if i need. felt loads better today so think you're all right; will just have to see how it goes. must admit thought that once your forms were submitted to HR then it was set in stone! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back