Maternity Allowance

Lulu_Laroo

Reaction score
As some of you probably know, I was unlucky & lost my job just after I found out I was pregnant in December (due to cuts, they didn't know I was pregnant). I did temping for a couple of weeks but really struggled to find anything else and so we've been on my partners wage ever since.
I know that some people are entitled to Maternity Allowance if they have worked previously, and I'm looking into it now. I won't be able to claim until mid-June but the websites says:

You may be eligible if: You've been employed and/or self-employed for at least 26 weeks in your 'test period' (66 weeks up to and including the week before the week your baby is due) - part weeks count as full weeks.

This is where it gets confusing, because I was working full-time up until June 2010 and was made redundant, got a new job in November 2010 which only lasted for one month before cuts were made and I lost again!

So... do you think I am eligible for MA or not?! It's confusing my preggy-brain!

Right, if I counted right (I have baby brain too, so can't guarantee it), 66 weeks before your baby is due should be counted from 20 May 2010. So you have been working at least until 18 November 2010, right (this should be 26 weeks)? If so, then you should be entitled to MA... I think :)

When u apply u will be asked to send wage slips from 15(I think) weeks. These can be from any weeks in the qualifying period. U will then be awarded 90% of ur waGe or £125 a week (whichever is LEAST) u will then get this money fortnightly or 4 weekly for 39 weeks.

Thanks, can you tell maths was never my favourite subject?! :)
If I am not entitled to it, does anyone know if I am entitled to anything else? We get housing benefit but it's only a very small amount. Argh, such a nightmare, I'm going to have to go back to work part-time pretty soon after baby is born at this rate.

Are u over 25? If so u should be entitled to tax credits and will definitely get tax credits wen baby's born regardless of ur age xx

I am 27. I've looked into tax credits but doesn't look like we'd be entitled to much. We are surviving ok on OH's wage but don't have much spare money to do anything else apart from pay the bills! I'd love to just go to work but nobody will take me on when pregnant. :(

Have you Done the 'do I qualify' test online? It should tell you what ur entitled to. Google it and u should find the link xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back