Making up a bottle

Beatlesfan

Reaction score
Just wanted to know can you use just boiled water to make a bottle up and then cool it in cold water?

Do you have to wait 30 mins for boiled water to cool?

thanks.

Do you sterilise the jug you store it in? If so, how do you sterilise it?

i do all my bottles with just boiled water...and use and add milk as and when i need them. If i need it immediatlely i do cool under a cold running tap - i have never thought that is a problem

xx

I'm not sure why they say to leave the boiled water to stand for 30 mins before adding the milk powder. I'm guessing it could be:
1) As a matter of safety, ie water that has cooled for about 30 mins has a smaller burns risk
2) Adding water that has a temperature of almost 100C may denature the milk powder hence destroying the nutrients.

cooling the water down under cold water does absolutly no harm to the water...you dont need a sterile jug..as long as the cold water doesnt touch the teat ur ok...( i would put the teats and lid on personally) you cant add milk powder to boiling water.. it needs to have cooled a bit 1st.. (below 60 degrees for most enzymes so i would go lower to 40 just to be safe)

lisa&alex said:
cooling the water down under cold water does absolutly no harm to the water...you dont need a sterile jug..as long as the cold water doesnt touch the teat ur ok...( i would put the teats and lid on personally) you cant add milk powder to boiling water.. it needs to have cooled a bit 1st.. (below 60 degrees for most enzymes so i would go lower to 40 just to be safe)

According to the Food Standards Agency: "feeds are made up using boiled water that is greater than 70°C; in practice, this means using water that has been left to cool for no more than half an hour"

http://www.food.gov.uk/news/newsarchive ... ementnov05

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back