How do you make up formula?

nickilubs

Reaction score
:oops: Had a panic moment about a hour ago when I expressed milk and she was downing the whole bottle with no trouble and still wanted more! Soooo sent OH out to get some formula just incase. We havent used it as she has seemed to of settled with out more feed so Im waiting for my milk to build and then I will give her another feed.

We have got SMA Gold is this okay for her if we do need to use it? Also how do you make up the formula? Do I boil the kettle and make the formula using the boiled water straight from the kettle then cool it under the tap till its the right temp. Or can I pre boil the water then leave it in the fridge and warm it in warm water and add the formula when I need it, or can I boiled water to cool at room temp and add the formula that way?

Im hoping not to use it but its handy to know just incase. Thanks xx

You can boil the water, let it cool for 30 mins then add the powder and check temp. If too hot then run under coldd water.

I make up his bottles in the morning with 4/5oz boiled water then top up to the required volume when we want the bottle and add the powder. I find it mixes better this way and then its a nice temp for him to drink :D

fwiw there is a growth spurt around this age, so you can expect demand to increase.

Not sure why you are expressing feeds but hopefully your supply is going ok expressing wise to do this. I could get loads out one time, then hardly anything the next. I found it annoying for anything other than occasional feeding. I know a couple of ladies who expressed all/most of their feeds and have nothing but admiration for them! Hard bloody work.

TBH its a pain it the arse expressing it all but she wont take the breast and well if the milks there then I will give it to her, but today shes gone mad wanting loads and I haven't got it to give. Normally I can express 7-8oz so have loads that I put in the fridge but she drank all the spare and everything I have now! MUNCHKIN!

Hummmmm haven't cracked open the tin yet I'm not giving up that easily. Shes still getting a bit stressy but she had 5oz less than 2hours ago so she cant be that hungry!

Can you boil the water in the morning and then leave it at room temp through out the day and use it as you need it?

Thats what I do - make up all 5 bottles in the morning, leave on the worktop and use as needed. Any we don't use get chucked and re steralised the next morning.

nickilubs said:
TBH its a pain it the arse expressing it all but she wont take the breast and well if the milks there then I will give it to her, but today shes gone mad wanting loads and I haven't got it to give. Normally I can express 7-8oz so have loads that I put in the fridge but she drank all the spare and everything I have now! MUNCHKIN!

Hummmmm haven't cracked open the tin yet I'm not giving up that easily. Shes still getting a bit stressy but she had 5oz less than 2hours ago so she cant be that hungry!

Can you boil the water in the morning and then leave it at room temp through out the day and use it as you need it?

That's what I do. Cooled boiled water can be left in bottles at room temp for 24 hours. I then add formula when needed and serve at room temp! EASY! hehe

I just make up Lewis's bottles the night before and stick them in the fridge, pull out as required, warm up, add formula, he drinks :D

I know exactly what I need for him each day though so it's very easy to do that for me!

We put the required amount of boiled water into the bottles, leave them on the side, then when we need them we put them in the microwanve to warm the water up a bit, add the powder and done. If we are out I just use the water at room temp. I find that room temp works fine with small bottles, but the 9oz bedtime bottle needs to be warm for the powder to mix properly.

SMA Gold is fine, we have been using that since about 8 weeks old.

After we boil the water we put it in a jug that is in a bowl of cold water to help cool it faster. We make the bottle up after 30 minutes and it is at the perfect temp for him :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back