Low platelets?

Bubbles1987

Reaction score
Hi. So last Thursday at my 32 week midwife appointment she said my 28 bloods showed low platelets levels. She said should be 150-450 and mine was 123. She said she just needed to repeat bloods but would like to see me in two weeks. Then this morning the surgery calls me to say doctor has seen results and been another drop in platelets and I need to have another blood test this week! She said the doctor said not to worry but no one has actually told me what it means and what the purpose of blood tests are and at what point do they intervene or if there is any intervention or what? Any one had experience of this?? Xx

Totally tri hoping here but I have a constant low platelet count so can offer a bit of advice! Did they tell you what your count is at the moment? I found out today mine have dropped from 158 to 90. Low platelets means that your blood won't clot properly for this reason there are certain things they try to avoid. Each hospital/consultant will have varying guidelines but generally if it drops below 80 you can't have a epidural. They also try to avoid any intervention including forceps or section because there is a risk you could bleed more. You may be referred to a consultant to discuss your option. Try not to worry your levels could easily rise. Hope this helps X

Excellent thank you. They didn't say what it was this time just lower than previously which was 123. I am hoping there might be something I can eat to increase them a bit. You have confirmed a few things I have read on Internet so thank you for that. I'll see what midwife says after the next blood test results. I had forceps in theatre with epidural in case they had to do c section first time so was hoping I won't need them this time anyway :)

Good luck with rest of pregnancy xx

Vitamin K helps blood to clot. I'm not sure if that helps at all. I would assume they'd give you vitamin K supplements, but maybe that depends on the reason why your platelet count is low. Seemingly there are several things that can cause it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back