Low blood platelets???

twinkle84

Reaction score
Hey,
Ive just been for my 28 wk bloods and my platelets are low. Have to go back for another blood test. They have told me not to worry, but i cant help it. I have researched it on the net too. Does anyone else have this prob or know anything about it? Thanks xx

I have low platelets!!!
Got tested a couple of weeks back and they had gone from 144 at booking in to 114. So went for another test on Monday and saw the consultant today. Platelets have now gone to 110. The consultant wants me to have a blood test every 2 weeks now to check what's happening with them.
He said, if they go below 80 they would not give an epidural and if they go down to single digits (not very likely) they would be very worried. (I looked on the internet and it said for very very low they would do a transfusion)

What was your count? I think if they are low they will just monitor you more closely until the birth. But not a lot can be done about it, i think.

Hope it helps... a bit maybe!!!

Hey! I also had low platlettes at 28 weeks and have just had another test done. I was told not to worry as it is normal in pregnancy mine where 128 at 28 weeks! x

What do low platelets indicate- is it to do with iron?

Phew, thanks I thought I was alone there! Mine were 116. Got to go back on Tuesday for another blood test to see if it was a one off or if they are perminately low and then I guess if they are they will keep checking. x

Annie - Midwife said a low platelet count means that your blood doesnt clot as wel as it would normally and there is a chance of heavy bleeding at birth. Which of course now im terrified. I was worried enough about birth without this, but at least they are aware of it. x

Cyprusare - Thanks for the info and nice to know im not alone x

No probs, I think it is common for your platelet count to go down during pregnancy generally. But if they go significantly below 150 they like to monitor you more closely. But there really isn't anything you can do about it. And no-one seems particularly worried (mid-wife/consultant) so I'm tryiong to put it to the back of my mind and focus on getting the nursery ready!!!! hehe!
x

Yeah, youre right im just a worrier haha. Keep in touch and let me know how you getting on, esp because we close in due dates. Ive just finished my nursery, well just got to put curtains up. Have you got a theme or colour? x

We have just put the curtains up!! I have gone for humphreys corner bedtime range - not the new one in mothercare, but the more neutral one. The curtains are gorgeous! It is expensive though but family are getting different bits so eventually it will all come together! x

Aww lovely, really like that range. I know it is so expensive. We have done ours mothercare precious bear and like you have had lots of help from fam and friends. x

Hi Twinkle. I got a letter through about platelets, at my booking in appt they were at 142 so got more blood taken today to see what they are at now. To go back in 6 weeks. I too am a worrier and thought i was alone with this. They told me today they were checking for anything that could be underlying that's causing them to drop (reassuring ehh) but at this stage the consultant doesn't seem overly concerned. They apparently can drop because of pregnancy. I can appreciate your worry though as i feel the same.

Ah thanks for that. It is reassuring to know im not alone. You just get the news and panic. Yes ive heard they can drop and as long as they dont go too low its not a concern. Looked up on the net and it said its either something you develop in pregnancy or its underlying thing that you just have and if its that can be passed onto baby, which made me feel worse. But they know what they are doing and at least they can monitor these things. Try not to worry either and let me know how you get on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back