Low lying placenta

msxmd

Reaction score
Hi :) when i went for my 20 week scan i was told i had a low lying placenta and i would need another scan to see if it has moved which were having on the 23d dec, i didnt think much about it until i saw my midwife recently and she told me i shouldnt be having sex and to call the hospital straight away if i had any bleeding, which really having worried me as me and my fiance have been having sex quite regulary, so i went online to look it up and was horrified by some of the stuff i read, like even couching is dangerous and sex is a big no and that i could bleed to death if the placenta was ruptured, so i called tiage and the midwife there didnt really give me any helpful info and wouldnt confirm or deny sex was ok and basically it was up to me to decide!!! which is frustrating as i just really want a straight professional answer from a reliable source, so was wondering if anyone else here has had a low lying placenta who knows a bit more about it

I wouldnt go off what you can Google. A low lying placenta can be problematic but not always. They often move up by the time you're ready to give birth. In the mean time I'd avoid rough sex and just take it steady when lifting and so on until you can sit and talk to someone in more detail.

:wave: Welcome to Pregnancy Forum :D

It will depend on what grade of low lying placenta, and whether or not the cervix is fully covered, partially covered or whether its just abit low.

Grade 1/2 is the less severe and Grade 3/4 is the most severe so I'd find this out first. If it's grade 3/4 I'd be inclined to refrain from intercourse and definitely any spotting contact your dr :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back