Low Lying Placenta

Julie33

Reaction score
Hi Folks

Been in hospital this weekend due to bright red bleeding - went onto orbit as soon as I saw the blood, but everything is fine now.

I got a scan and was told baby is doing well but I have a low lying placenta which means my placenta is lying parcially over my cervix opening. This could mean placenta previa if it doesn't move before 28 weeks.

Midwife and doctor at hospital have told me not to worry but I'm pregnant and not able to stop worrying.

Any one else got this?

Same thing came up on my scan yesterday, though I haven't had any bleeding. it is quite common apparently and a very low risk of the placenta not moving in time, something like 5% of cases

http://www.pregnancyforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=29942

I have another scan at 36 weeks to assess it and will have to have a cesaerean if it has not moved. It is too dangerous to risk going into labour apparently.

Is scarey isn't it, but plenty of time for it to rectify itself and at least the doctors are aware of the problem. If you want to chat more about it feel free to PM me :hug:

Hi Julie

:hug:

Sorry to hear about your bleeding at the weekend. I totally know how you feel because I had the same thing just 2 weeks ago. It is really scary. :( Have you stopped bleeding now? It took me about 4 days to finally stop. I couldn't have a scan for 5 days and was very worried about all sorts of things happening in that time.

Good news is you are a bit earlier on in your pregnancy so there is time yet for your placenta to shift. At the scan they found mine was ok as it was high but that didn't answer the question why I was bleeding. :think:

When I was pregnant with my first son I spent 6 weeks in hospital in the ante natal ward. I made good friends with a lovely lady who had placenta previa. Yes she did end up having a caesarian section (like I did)but both she and the baby were absolutely fine. Please try not to worry too much. It's like TopBird said in her thread... you can't change it anyway so why worry?

:hug:

Sabrina
x

Hi

Hope things change for you soon, try not to worry :hug:
Katrinaxx

I also have the same problem. I am due another scan at 36 weeks.

I'm also scheduled another scan at 36 weeks to check that a placental lobe that showed up on my 20 week scan has moved out the way of my cervix. Midwife reassured me that these things often correct themselves but if not looks like an elective caeserean for me!

Snap! Also had this with my last pregnancy and it corrected itself as bump got bigger. Hopefully yours will too (more common for it to move than stay in the way) but if not it means c-section.
We just have to think, there are worse things we could have. Thats how I'm looking at it and wait until the next scan shows whats happening. Good luck x

Is kind of reassuring it is so normal to be honest, as quite a few of us have the same thing!

Heres to hoping it moves up for us all in time.... :hug: though a c-section is not exactly the end of the world is it, we still get a baby at the end of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back