Low Lying Placenta

ems72

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a newbie to this site, due 29th June :D

I have a question about low lying placenta.

I had a bleed at 30 weeks and a scan showed that I have a low lying placenta. They re-scanned me at 33 weeks and 36 weeks and it is still low. It's not covering the cervix but it is still close. They are scanning me again at 38 weeks. If it's still low they will discuss a c-section which they will probably carry out at 39 weeks.

Has anybody else suffered this? I'd be interested to hear your story.

Thanks
Emma

36+5 wks

I am of no help in this, but just wanted to say welcome :cheer:

Hope your low lying placenta does not cause too many problems. is it right that they book the c-section to try and get baby out before you would go into natural labour?

I hope everyone goes well for you :hug:

I had a lot of problems getting a straight answer because I had this diagnosed at my first scan (which ended up being at 23 weeks but that's another story) so they booked me in for a repeat scan at 28 weeks. I had a growth scan 4 weeks later to check that bub was on track and then they checked the placenta, all looked clear but they recommended I go back the following week where they wouldn't focus on the baby, just the placenta.

At that one I was told I had an "accessory lobe" (which is an extra bit of placenta that doesn't do anything but has a blood supply so can still be a problem) partially covering my cervix. Was to go back at 32 weeks (I think). At that scan I had to pee ridiculously but the sonographer took a look and said that the placenta was a full 7.2cm away from my cervix. Whether or not it moved that much in just a few weeks I don't know but I'm not convinced they had a clue because when I asked the midwife after the birth about this "accessory lobe" she said there was none and it was a perfectly normal placenta.

The only thing I can add is to have a full bladder at your scan even though you're far on and it's really uncomfortable, but I was told they were so precise about the last scan because my bladder was full and it was much clearer.

All I can say is that they always prepare for the worst but things usually turn out fine. Are you going to be scanned by the consultant? I was told that if I ended up with a diagnosis of placenta praevia that it would be confirmed by the consultant obstetrician. My friend who is now 34 weeks has been through an almost identical scenario.

All the best :hug: :hug:

Thank you for your replies :)

The scan that I had last week (36wks) was with the consultant obstiatrician. She did a transvaginal scan and an abdominal scan but found it difficult to see exactly how close the placenta is to the edge because the baby's head was in the way. When I had the scan at 33 weeks the placenta was 6mm away from the edge. I think the minimum it needs to be for it to be safe is 2cm.

She's told me that when I go at 38 weeks to have a half full bladder. She said that if the baby's head comes down lower than the placenta it will be ok to have a natural birth. So it's just a case of wait and see.

Emma :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back