Louie is chewing his fists already!!! HELP!

foxymum

Reaction score
as you know Louie is my 3rd child but i have forgotton most things that i used to do with the others, he is constantly chewing his fists & has a HUGE patch of dribble on his clothes/bibs all the time with in 10 mins of changing his clothes.
tried giving him things to chew but he gets frustrated & ends up with them over his face, like a comfort blanket for example.

how can i help him?

Alfies started aswell and bless him iv tried everything god love him the only thing that seems to work a bit is ambesol liquid and he wont use a teether either so he knaws on his fist hv said it wouldnt hurt him, i use bibs to soak up slather as i was constantly changing his clothes and if all else fails hun if hes in pain a cuddle with mummy works for Alfie :hug:

whats ambesol?
what do you do with it?

i've just noticed that Louie & Alfie were born a day apart!!! :hug:

ahhh yeah bless them hasnt it gone quick though! :hug:

Ambesol liquid, it stinks horrible and he will most likely pull a face when you put it on his gums but it works well. Its just like a little pot and you put a little bit on your finger and rub it on his gums it is easier to use than gels as Alfie is a little monkey and sucks it off my finger, all chemists sell it hun but u probs need 2 ask 4 it

foxymum said:
as you know Louie is my 3rd child but i have forgotton most things that i used to do with the others, he is constantly chewing his fists & has a HUGE patch of dribble on his clothes/bibs all the time with in 10 mins of changing his clothes.
tried giving him things to chew but he gets frustrated & ends up with them over his face, like a comfort blanket for example.

how can i help him?

does he want some solids? trying to eat themselves is always a sign they are hungry and ready for more grub.

oh :shock: do you reckon it could be that then.
i wanted him to be as old as poss before he has solids, although josh was given baby rice the day he was 12 wks.

do you think i should try?

fingerscrossed said:
ahhh yeah bless them hasnt it gone quick though! :hug:

Ambesol liquid, it stinks horrible and he will most likely pull a face when you put it on his gums but it works well. Its just like a little pot and you put a little bit on your finger and rub it on his gums it is easier to use than gels as Alfie is a little monkey and sucks it off my finger, all chemists sell it hun but u probs need 2 ask 4 it

thank u for that hun.xx

foxymum said:
oh :shock: do you reckon it could be that then.
i wanted him to be as old as poss before he has solids, although josh was given baby rice the day he was 12 wks.

do you think i should try?

yeah definately. 12 weeks is ok to start solids. :) other signs are waking in the night more. unsettled between feeds.

might give it a go then if it continues.
thanks. :hug:

are you breastfeeding or bottle foxy?

if you're breastfeeding it may be that hes going through a growth spurt and just feeding him more frequently might up your milk supply and in a few days he will settle down again.

try that but if he keeps chewing and still unsettled try a little solid food.

Charlie's doing the same, and is really really grizzly between feeds now, which is not like him at all. He isn't waking in the night, or taking any more milk, but I still think he's ready for solids.

I've got it all prepared in the freezer, and I was going to try him with a little bit of carrot tonight.

Oh no, my little man is growing up. :(

I would reckon it is teething pains. Ellie started at just over 3months as well - only a few days after the colic stopped. We have some Ambesol but Ellie hates the taste and much prefers the taste of bonjela. We also got some Tommee Tippee stage one teethers from tesco's which I keep in the fridge and give to her when she seems in pain. Now when she is in pain and sees you coming with the teether she reaches out for it, takes it and puts it in her mouth. She also opens her mouth ready for you when she sees us with the bonjela. I am also giving her the Ashton and Parson teething powders morning and night, which I think are helping, as one morning I had forgotten to give them to her and realised I had when she was much worse than normal with her teeth.

Leorah is sucking on her fists but I thought this is because she has found her hands and is self soothing. Do you think she may have teething pain? I'm pretty sure she's satisfied with just milk.

Could be either. If you put your finger in her mouth does she suck or bite. If she bites it is more likely to be teething or if she sucks it is more likely to be a comfort thing.

Stanley has been like this for a couple of weeks now. He wears a bib permanently and is waking in the night again. :?

You might want to talk to your HV about weaning. 17 weeks is supposed to be the very earliest (although they recommend 6 months). It does change often though, it may have been 12 weeks when you had your first couple Budge. :think:

I'm going to start in the next couple of weeks (Stanley is nearly 16 wks) as he's already over 17 lbs and showing all the signs :D

budge said:

if you're breastfeeding it may be that hes going through a growth spurt and just feeding him more frequently might up your milk supply and in a few days he will settle down again.

i'm bottle feeding budge.
went into town earlier & bought supplies of: teething rings, calgel & some organic plain baby rice, but i'm not gonna try yet, see what happens, he is still doing the gnawing thing, but keeps dropping the teether!!!
hes very unsettled today but i really am scared to do the solid thing yet, as someone told me a baby died as its stomach wasn't ready for solids.

skatty said:
Oh good she just sucks :)

Thats good. Ellie REALLY bites my fingers. She actually grabs your finger and pulls it into her mouth as it is much nicer to bite on that her own fingers.

foxymum said:
budge said:

i'm bottle feeding budge.
went into town earlier & bought supplies of: teething rings, calgel & some organic plain baby rice, but i'm not gonna try yet, see what happens, he is still doing the gnawing thing, but keeps dropping the teether!!!
hes very unsettled today but i really am scared to do the solid thing yet, as someone told me a baby died as its stomach wasn't ready for solids.

every baby is individual. they all need solids at different times. When we were all babies our mums were told to wean us at 12 weeks and we are all ok. :? . Mine were around 12 to 17 weeks when i weaned them. you have to just trust your own instincts. And when you do start solids the key is to start gradually. that baby who dies was most likely not introduced gradually enough nd got constipated or something.

foxymum said:
but i really am scared to do the solid thing yet, as someone told me a baby died as its stomach wasn't ready for solids.

That sounds like scaremongering! Have never heard anything like that. There ARE risks to early weaning though. Stomach problems later in life, plus increased risk of asthma, excema and allergies. I'm sure many of us were weaned early (rusk in a bottle at 6 weeks was the norm when I was little) but they do discover links to health all the time. I refer to my earlier post and suggest speaking to a health professional if you're at all worried.

Good Luck hon xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back