Lost baby and horrendous time in a&e for medial misscarrage. pls read.

girlygirl

Reaction score
Well long story, posted about 2 weeks ago as had a scan as had bleeding...dont want to scare anyone as had bleeding in 1st preg, girl and turned out fine....preg 2 no bleeding, boy, he was fine too....3rd preg omg!! had a scan 2 weeks ago who said its either stopped growing or wrong dates, scanned again tues. Baby def stopped growing at 5 weeks, maybe less. Knew it would be that, as we were 100% sure on dates. Emotioanally in fine, as have 2 healthty children, it was a tadpole and not even formed so must be something wrong with it. Sounds like it was not even a fetus there, only sack, and baby didnt form. If it was 1st preg then would be v hard. my mate lost one at 19 weeks, had to give birth, so i count myself lucky. Not wanting to scare anyone honestly, just want to make ppl aware of the risks i occured.

Had 3 options;
  • to let nature take its cause, which i was already 10 weeks and still no sign of misscarrying although a little spotting. Chance of infection and if not worked then would need tablet or Op anyway
  • Medical managment to take the tablets, small % chance of failiure, 5% chance of hospitalisation as bleeding and hemoraging.
  • Op to vacume out the contents, but 5% or so chance of them rupturing cervix and them going into the bladder and then through Kidney. or a 1% chance of hysterectomy.
So chose the medical option. Had 1 tablet Tues, went back Thursday for the other lot of tablets. Took the 4 tablets Thursday, went to tescos on way home to get some pads as only had one pack at home. Felt dizzy and lightheadded so drove home, was on my own, felt scared i was going to faint. Started bleeding in hospital already. Got back to parents to pick kids up and oh my god...THe blood came. ran to the toilet as i covered parents sofa. splashed everywhere in the toilet. This happened a few times, huge clots came out about 3 inches long. Called lovely lady who dealt with misscarrage, she said some ladys can have a rush but if it continues or gets worse call back. Went home, took next dose of tablets and went to bed to rest while son slept and daughter went shoping with parents. Hubby came home early. Blood contunied to poor out of me, when i felt it id run to toilet so not sure how much i lost. Would drip out like a tap contuniously, then just gush, and could feel clots coming through me.
Had dinner then had to rush to toilet again and this time it splashed up the wall, hubby said to go to a&e.
They said if you soacked more than 2 pads in a hour to go. I was sure it would be 6 tena lady grandad size pads! but mine was down toilet. So called ward where they dealt with m/c. Lady said it sounds ok, but if i feel the need to go to a&e then go, but its up to me!!! Lucky hubby made me go, parents came back to babysit and put kids to bed.
A&e was so embarassing, parent gave me tena pads to wear that were my grandads, huge. was so embarassing but honestly without them i would have flooded the floor. work men were staring at me! was mortified, they watched me as i was queueing up to check in. must have thought i was in labour, but im a skinny size 6! or had dihorrea! not a m/c!!! Saw me half and hour later after pushing them to see me (they couldnt understand)...then inside a&e they left me 2 hours, staff just walking up and down coridoor not doing anything, iw as reading a book so obviously looked fine but tena pad hid it!. After calling ppl in, soaked 2 tena pads with eveidence of clots. Staff thougt it was nornal and said oh yes tablets for stomach ulcers, (used for too)take last dose of tablets. HAd about 4 stafff tell me to take them. luckily i didnt...
eventually gynae came and saw me. Then within 5 mins had about 6 staff in my room. Had me on 2 drips. Blood pressure was dangerously low, had 4 litres of blood on standby. NEarly fainted as was so weak, im not squemish just cause of loss of blood. Then was sick. Gynae was fab, he said no dont take tablets, lucky you didnt. why didnt i come in hours ago?! I said i called twice and they thought it was normal! Needed to look down there at bleeding. So did.
This bloody hurt, he put in the clamp thing so fast it was sore, then with these bbq like tongs he scraped away inside me womb...honestly thought he was just having a look, not do what he was doing...he pulled sack away, and alot of blood. Bed was covered. Nurse, who was so lovely, had to go out as weazy but hubby said later she was upset, bless her. Hubby in tears telling me not to die on him.
Gynae said he stopped bleeding, he thought. Pulled away sack, it didnt want to detach from my womb and caused me to bleed heavily as a result. If i wanted to look at the sack i had no choice as he showed me when he put it in a test tube thing!! I was actually quite interested but can imagine some ppl to be upset by it. He asked if i wanted it myself to dipsose of, which i didnt...
Anyway he said to stay in, assess blood and if it doesnt stop had to go to theatre at 5am ish. Fabulous. He asked if i had children, and wa glad that i did. I should have asked what he would need to do in theatre, as i recon now if it wouldnt have stopped it would be hysterectomy. No beds in hospital so ended up on some old ppls ward! ha ha. But bleeding stopped, had anohter gush but only when stood up for a wee 2 hours after, prob what was left. But after that like a period. Had a tear at about 2am for what id been truough. could have died.
Went home next day at about 3pm.

Anyhows long story. But just want to warn ppl out there about risks. was the best option for me, in my opinion, but honestly if anyone goes through this go to A&E. If i wouldnt have gone, id have bleed to death, they said. I was honestly going to go to sleep in my bath that night as too much blood to mess up my bed!!! i woulnt be here now. Blood still low and on iron tablets. Bloodpressure still low and still lightheadded but didnt stop me going on a hen party following night! Im lucky really, ready to get ready for baby no 3 agian tho, wouldnt put me off. Just hope i can have another home birth cause of bleeding in womb. Just thinking of 3rd stage.

Pls ppl be aware of risks.xx I wish i would have read up on things b4 i decided things. although looking back id do same again as risks seemed lowest.

Flippin heck hun, glad all is ok now :hugs: x

to top it all off, had a 12 week scan letter come through the day i came out.

I'm really sorry for your loss and the problems you've had. I'm really pleased you are ok though. Similar things have happened in my family, my sister recently had her baby at 36 weeks having spent 9 weeks in hospital as she bled, at one point losing nearly 2 pints, and then the night they delivered, had bled for hours where they just couldn't stop it! My stepmum had a voluntary d&c, and later she started bleeding heavily and spent several days in hospital only for it to happen again a couple of weeks later. Its totally put her off having a second baby

I'm really sorry for your loss and the problems you've had. I'm really pleased you are ok though. Similar things have happened in my family, my sister recently had her baby at 36 weeks having spent 9 weeks in hospital as she bled, at one point losing nearly 2 pints, and then the night they delivered, had bled for hours where they just couldn't stop it! My stepmum had a voluntary d&c, and later she started bleeding heavily and spent several days in hospital only for it to happen again a couple of weeks later. Its totally put her off having a second baby

omg so scary. Was baby ok too? Makes me think twice about another home birth. if we decide on mumber 3. Im thankfull it never happenned b4.
Sound v common after searching on the internet. But never heard of it after a d&c. awefull. They sould keep you in atleast 3 hrs in a&e incase this happens.
x

Oh you poor thing :hug: So glad you're ok, and I can't believe they kept telling you it was normal!! So sorry for your loss :hug: x

omg so scary. Was baby ok too? Makes me think twice about another home birth. if we decide on mumber 3. Im thankfull it never happenned b4.
Sound v common after searching on the internet. But never heard of it after a d&c. awefull. They sould keep you in atleast 3 hrs in a&e incase this happens.
x
The baby is fine, he's doing really well, he was quite hefty considering (5lb 14oz) and he's now home. With my stepmum, it happened about a week later, they think they might have missed something/part of it when they did it

Oh I'm sorry for your loss Girly girl - Thank you for posting this warning about heavy blood loss it's soo dangerous. I posted my story too last march to warn ladies to be careful

I too had the same probs as you did after my Missed MC lost at 11 plus 5, but baby was only 9 weeks. I was booked in for D&C for a few days time, then at 12 midnight night before - started MC naturally, bled for 4 hours like a tap, blocked toilet, laid in the bath naked filling it up in the end waiting for hubby to come home from night work to unbung loo for me! Was throwing up bigtime and laying on landing as faint. Called my mum over to take me to A&E and soaked her car seat through 3 towels, got wheeled in as having big cramps and still with my sick tub on lap!! And they gave me loads of fluids as all veins collapsed and 2 blood transfusions to pick me up and then had D&C at 7am in end came out the following evening.

If you can't keep a pad on for a minute (mine was 20 secs soaked) and it is not changing in 30 mins , I would go to A&E, in hindsight I was a donkey to wait 4 hours, but thought that was normal loss, and was on nil by mouth fluids for my D&C in the morning at diff hosp).

Hope your resting and getting lots of iron as you will be right washed out for about 2 weeks, but it will get better - sending you a hug after what is a very scary time X

Last edited:
So sorry hun, what an awful time you have had :hugs: xxx

Aww... really sorry to hear your sad news... and so sorry that you have been through such a difficult time... *hugs*

Oh I'm sorry for your loss Girly girl - Thank you for posting this warning about heavy blood loss it's soo dangerous. I posted my story too last march to warn ladies to be careful

I too had the same probs as you did after my Missed MC lost at 11 plus 5, but baby was only 9 weeks. I was booked in for D&C for a few days time, then at 12 midnight night before - started MC naturally, bled for 4 hours like a tap, blocked toilet, laid in the bath naked filling it up in the end waiting for hubby to come home from night work to unbung loo for me! Was throwing up bigtime and laying on landing as faint. Called my mum over to take me to A&E and soaked her car seat through 3 towels, got wheeled in as having big cramps and still with my sick tub on lap!! And they gave me loads of fluids as all veins collapsed and 2 blood transfusions to pick me up and then had D&C at 7am in end came out the following evening.

If you can't keep a pad on for a minute (mine was 20 secs soaked) and it is not changing in 30 mins , I would go to A&E, in hindsight I was a donkey to wait 4 hours, but thought that was normal loss, and was on nil by mouth fluids for my D&C in the morning at diff hosp).

Hope your resting and getting lots of iron as you will be right washed out for about 2 weeks, but it will get better - sending you a hug after what is a very scary time X

Its strange as you think its normal at the time. Looking back now i think omg!! i was fine about the m/c but what i had to go through, like yourself, was horrible.
How long did you bleed for after? Mine is hardly there now, this all started thurs for me.
Sounds like your blood loss was alot worse than mine. The staff need to be more educated on this in a&e, as im sure they deal with so much, but they were useless.
All happens for a reason though. xx

x
The baby is fine, he's doing really well, he was quite hefty considering (5lb 14oz) and he's now home. With my stepmum, it happened about a week later, they think they might have missed something/part of it when they did it

So many risks with m/c you wouldnt realise unless its close to home. I just thought they all bleed out of you and needed d&c after a certain time frame.
Glad everyone ok,.

so sorry for your loss and traumatic time. i have to boys and i had a miscarriage last year, the blood loss was horrific, i didnt realise how bad it could get. x

Its strange as you think its normal at the time. Looking back now i think omg!! i was fine about the m/c but what i had to go through, like yourself, was horrible.
How long did you bleed for after? Mine is hardly there now, this all started thurs for me.
Sounds like your blood loss was alot worse than mine. The staff need to be more educated on this in a&e, as im sure they deal with so much, but they were useless.
All happens for a reason though. xx

Bleeding length was brill after the D&C , just light bleed like light period , I think about 6/7 days , hope yours is too , you sound like your being really positive about this all - well done you X

Sorry to hear your loss and everything you went through. Glad your okay now, and that you went to A&E like hubby said. Good Luck for baby No 3, x

Sounds awful, thanks for letting everyone know what can happen, sometimes your mind just goes on autopilot and you just don't think things 'can be that bad' when they are.

:hug: this is a truly awful experience you have had. Thinking of you xx

Thanks all. Wouldnt put me off trying again, ppl say im spoilt with a girl and a boy, but just love it all. Preg, labour - fabulous!, Breastfeeding, everything.
Just want to warn ppl of risks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back