looking at weaning and really don't know where to start, help please!

I weaned at 4 months, I was advised to by medics but I have to be 100% honest and say I would have done it anyway around that age, I weaned DS1 at 4 months too but that was the advised age at the time.

My advice would be to start with about a tablespoon full of individual fruit or veg puree rather than a mix of several veg or a jar or packet. Then when you know he's tolerating that well you can introduce other things. We're giving finger foods as well but it's up to you if you want to do that.

Thanks for all your comments, everyone had their own opinions and it's nice to hear both sides, I only thought she may be ready as there was a change in her. She's slept through from 5 weeks, was happy with her feeds it was only when she started waking and not settling that I didn't think milk was enough for her, just like back when I couldn't give her enough breast milk. I was never going to jump into it which is why I needed advice and when I do actually start how do I start?maybe it's a growth spert, and hopefully she'll go back to being settled again, if not I'll just have to get used to the early wake up calls again lol!
Thanks all! X

Hi hun! Not gonna add much but just wanted to say that we waited til 6 months because there is a history of digestive problems in my family- just something else to consider if this applies to u! Good luck xx

Hannah slept right through from early but then at 3 months started to wake early again......its just what these little people do! :(

i am hoping once we get past this 4 month sleep regression thing that she will go back to waking a bit later...

the last few nights i have been leaving her when she wakes early and not automatically jumping up to feed her. last 2 nights she woke at 3am...i left her, she went back to sleep and slept til 6am. without me even needing to get out of bed :) xx

You know your own baby, and if you honestly feel she needs weaning then that's your choice. Noah is 5 months now and we began weaning a week ago. I tried putting it off for as long as I could and didn't want to start until he was 6 months but needs must! He kept wanting milk every hour and a half but wouldnt take more in his bottle per feed to keep him going longer. I checked all the signs for been ready for it and he was showing them all, so I thought why not.
They do say to try and wean at 6 months, but if you do it earlier then never before 17 weeks. So try and get her to 17 weeks at least then go for it :)

We offered him cow&gate pure baby rice to begin with but he didn't take to it, so after a few days, I took some advice from my friend who works with children and got some fruit and hand blended it to a puree.
Noah's weaning began 7 days ago and he refused baby rice and creamy porridge from cow&gate but loves puree banana and pear and sweet potato too :)
He's having it first thing in the morning (because he's in a very good mood then) and trying a little bit around teatime. He's on 150ml bottles usually but this morning he only drank 80ml of it with some sweet potato :)

I bought a weaning book from The Works for £3.99 and it's brilliant! It's simply called 'Weaning' by Annabel Karmel

For years babies were weaned at 4months, my HV said it changed to 6 months because so many people were doing it badly. 4 months is fine as long as it is just fruit and veg, not wheat/meat products at digestive system is not mature enough to cope.

If you decide to start, the hipp organic website has a downloadable chart that suggests food and how much and when. Personally I made my own food for my eldest and just freezed it in small cube trays, much cheaper than jars, but the chart is quite useful to give you ideas how to introduce. But all babies are different so let them take the lead.

Just make sure you have plenty of time and be prepared for mess and yucky nappies! Until 6 months milk has to be their main source of food so just small tastes of food are needed.

I can't wait to wean Joe but at 4 1/2 months he isn't really showing signs of needing to be yet but like you I want to be ready and know what i'm doing - good luck x

For years babies were weaned at 4months, my HV said it changed to 6 months because so many people were doing it badly

I agree. My mum said she weaned all her kids at 4 months. I think everywhere says 6 months to try and get women breastfeeding for as long as possible.
Wean when you think your baby needs it. As long as it's not ridiculously early of course! And as long as it's not confused with a growth spurt :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back