Night feeds

millylillyrose

Reaction score
My 2 week old is feeding beautifully, BF is going really well for us, and she feeds probably every 2-3 hours durin the day,
but my question is...at night time, i feed her around 10ish and put her down and recently she's not been waking for feed till around 4:30 5ish...and i worry so much that she's going too long. I was told to feed her every 2-3 hours, how long would that be for. is it ok for her to go 5 hrs without a feed at just 2 weeks old? gosh i probably sound like a paranoid freak.

Your daughter is so beautiful!! Love the pics of her, great to hear the feeding is going so well :cheer: :hug: I wanted to reply because Ophelia is similar, she just had a feed, and when I go to bed, she'll have a bit more, then probably nothing for a good 5, 6hrs. She was born almost 3wks ago weighing 5lb 11oz, and on wednesday she weighed 6lb 2oz and is doing just fine, so I do believe feeding on demand is definitely the way to go as long as you and baby are happy and baby is gainging something or staying the same weight :hug: She looks just perfect from her pics, I would say leave her to it, she is feeding when she has to and taking what she needs when she does. I did worry about the every2-3hrs though myself so I can understand your feeling on it but I look at my little girl and know she's happy, healthy and fed, so I'm letting her tell me what's best. Very best wishes :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hun, you will know your baby better than anyone else, so as long as she is feeding well through the day and has a good amount beofre and after her 5 hour sleep, then I would say leave her, she is doing great! The most important thing is that she seems happy and healthy, is steadily gaining weight and sleeping well. So if she is happy and you are happy with her, then leave well alone. My daughter is in a very similar pattern, and feeds almost exactly every 3 hours during the day, then has a last feed about 11pm when I go to bed. Then she will go until 4 or 5 am before feeding again. TBH Im not worrying about it, I am counting my lucky stars that she is sleeping well and letting me sleep too! :lol: She is a very calm and contented baby, and after being born at 8lb 6oz was weighed at 9lb 2oz on wednesday, so she is clearly getting enough milk!

I would take all advice from your mw/hv with a pinch of salt tbh, they will give you good general guidelines but I wouldnt take everything they say to the letter or you really will become a paranoid mum! Let your baby lead you, you will know when things are out of place or she is not doing so well, just trust your instincts! :hug: Sounds to me like you are both doing beautifully x :clap:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

hi, i think she'd wake up if she was hungry hun so don't worry too much unless she starts loosing weight. Sounds like you are lucky and have a good sleeper. :cheer:

If she is gaining weight normally, poops 3/4 times a day and has a wet nappy for about 6 then don't worry.... shes doing just fine...

Not all babies need to be fed every couple of hours, its usually the norm, but in your case you've got a little sleeper. she will wake if she is hungry and will probably make up for it during the day by cluster feeding near bed time :)

Shes ever so beautiful too.. :hug: :hug: You're an amazingly talented photographer btw... :D

Oh god I feel so jealous of you all...

Meadow is up all night long.

Did your babies just do this automatically?

Dawn

Daffodil said:
Oh god I feel so jealous of you all...

Meadow is up all night long.

Did your babies just do this automatically?

Dawn

Blimey no. Galen only settled and slept longer than 3 hours about 2 weeks ago now. Around 15 weeks. And only in the past 10 days has gone for 8 hours. In the early weeks he was more or less awake 18 hours out of 24 :doh:

I wouldn't worry about it Lola used to do the same thing when she was little :D

The midwife was always shocked when i told her how long she'd slept especially with her being breastfed.

(I wish she still slept that long now :sleep: )

I feel a little differently to the others about leaving a 2 week old to go that long without a feed (everything I've read has been no longer than 5 hours), but then, I'm probably biased by my own experience - I had an extreme sleeper and had to wake her for EVERY feed day and night and then struggled to keep her awake for them, so I was not at all confident she would wake on her own when she was hungry (she proved my point when I slept through my night alarms a couple of times - oops). BUT if your DD wakes for her feeds during the day there's no reason why she wouldn't do the same during the night if she's hungry. The only advice I was given by a paediatrician was to make sure that I fed her at least 7 times a day - so if you're getting that in and she's still sleeping well at night - lucky you and sweet dreams! BTW as the others have said your photos (and daughter) are just beautiful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back