When do newborns start to go longer between feeds??

Reaction score
During the night Charlotte will go between 2-4 hrs between feeds but in the day I am waking her every 3 hrs to feed. When will this change, I don't want to leave her longer in the day incase she's up all night.

With my son he still only goes 2 hours, 2 1/2 between feeds during the day and he is 6 months old now :lol: :roll: He is a breastfed baby btw.

It really depends on the baby. Every 3 hours in the day sounds reasonable to me and 2-4 at night is also good. She is still small and cannot really go longer than that atm without needing a feed if she is breastfed. Formula fed babies can go a bit longer between feeds as formula is thicker and takes longer to digest. But I'd say atm not really more than 4 hours maximum. If she is taking feeds well every 3 hours thats the main thing. If she is looking for it sooner then adjust as you need.

Also her sleep pattern will slowly start to adjust as her body learns to recognise day and night over the coming weeks.

THanks..... thought as much, just wishful thinking on my part I guess :sleep:

I think it's different for every baby. Lucy eats constantly in the afternoon and evening. At 3 weeks, she would sleep at night for five hours though, slowly she increased it to six, then seven. We *shockhorror* got eight and a half hours last night :O!!

But she eats all evening to build herself up for it!

Calum was around 3months before he went through the night from 11pm till 6.30am, he fed every 4 hours before that. Now still feeds every 4 hours during the day and sleeps from 11pm till 6.30am/8am.

Macey fed every four hours from day one, then at four weeks she started going 5-6 hous at night and now she feeds every four hours in the day and sleeps from her last feed at 11 to about 7,

All babies are different though, some need to feed still in the night to gain weight, Macey was 11lb 4oz when she was born and so has never really been a big eater as she just needed to average out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back