Long car journey

Lulabell

Reaction score
This weekend we are heading to Birmingham from Dorset and taking Joshua with us. My hubby's family live up there. And as his grandad is poorly, we fear this could be the only chance he gets to meet Joshua. Any tips to keep Joshua happy and comfortable? We plan to stop half way where I'll get him out for half hour or so. Was also thinking possibly having him in a sleepsuit for the journey? What do you guys think?xx

We have always set off really early, around 5am, when doing long journeys. Have put LO asleep in a travel grobag and
Sleep suit and then just transferred her to the car seat in that. Around 8am stop for breakfast, feed her and get her dressed. Lo then ready for another sleep when back jn car. Always worked best for us as even jf sleep whole morning doesn't upset bedtime like afternoon sleep would.

My family are 500 miles away so when we visit I've put Kynon in a sleep suit and cardi. We stopped every 2-3 hours to get him out of the car seat and feed him. He slept the whole way there and most of the way back. Im going down at Easter so hope he does the same again. The only trouble I had was he didn't want to sleep until really late as he had slept all day. When dd was a baby and little i used to travel over night, not sure I can do this yet with Kynon as he makes me tired with his constant feeds!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

When ben was little we always travelled at 9pm ish after bath, bedtime feed then put him to sleep in the car seat. He'd always sleep the whole journey then.

same as what the others said, would leave at 7pm so that they would sleep. now that she is a bit older i'm ok with leaving her in the car seat but when she was younger i would not leave her longer than 1.5 - 2 hours!

he'll be fine he'll sleep the whole time just make sure you stop and feed, change etc

I'm not so sure about the sleeping the whole way. I'm going up north for a few weeks next week and I'm taking the train. This is because the last time we attempted this LO slept for only an hour and then shouted/cried and generally complained the whole way. It was almost literally the journey from hell :shock:!

She's been like this for every trip of over 25min since then. We're not sure why but we suspect that she gets tired of being semi-restrained in the car seat and also quite bored as she still faces backwards. So no more long car trips in the evenings for us until she can face forward and entertain herself by looking out of the window.

Sorry that that might not be much help lol. We did find that she would complain much less if we drove during the day though as she could see better and play with toys etc. so I'd advise scheduling your trip during the day :)

Last edited:
late evening or early morning is the best time to travel. Because they sleep in the car. If the baby is dry and well eaten, they sleep actually. Just in case some books and toys to entertain him....If possible some breaks every 2-3 hours.

We are doing the same in a weeks time, travelling from ipswuch to Scotland for a wedding. Grace will be 4 weeks, hopefully she will sleep! But good idea about sleep suit, b more comfortable n easy to change if sick. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back