livid - i'm changing nurseries

leckershell

Reaction score
Bit of a rant really... I'm changing Ryan's nursery.
I do feel partly sad as there are some nice people there but also partly fed up and angry at the way they can be sometimes.

Bit annoyed as they changed the payment terms and the likes, and messed me about with days when I was part-time, but recently I'm just feeling a bit neglected. I think it's just a gut feeling but I don't feel happy with them. Won't go into it all cos you'd get bored but the final straw was yesterday..

Those of you that 'know' Ryan will know he's quite capable, and active, and pretty good on his feet. He 'fell' off the slide yesterday at nursery.. the plastic indoors one admittedly but still. Apparently he bumped his head (they gave me a head injury form) and was 'out of it' for a few minutes and in shock. I didn't know anything about it until I fetched him at 5.30. They said he didn't cry..

It makes me wonder,
1. Why wasn't anybody watching him
2. Why didn't anybody call me
3. Why didn't anybody call a doctor
4. How long he was on the floor for 'not crying' until somebody noticed

Maybe I'm being too harsh. But he was up all last night vomiting. I would think that a head injury would be something to call the parents about?! If I had known I would have got him checked over by a doctor but to leave it til I arrived and then just flippantly ask me to sign the accident book just seems a bit wrong. I am also concerned why he 'fell' off when he uses it everyday and I know he can climb up and down it perfectly well. If a kid had pushed him off or something or the staff wasn't paying attention that's ok (well it's not ok but you know what i mean) but I just feel like someone's not quite telling me the truth.

I know nurseries can be busy but I just don't think that's acceptable to be honest. I called the health visitor and she took 'out of it and in shock' to mean he was unconcious. I didn't even ask the nursery tbh as I was only thinking about his health and only today have come to think it over.

And when I picked him up today, there was 1 nursery lady to 6 babies instead of 1 to 3, and she rolled a baby on his back when he was being sick so he 'didn't make a mess of his clothes'. Surely that's actually quite dangerous? I dread to think what happens when I'm not there. Also, I spoke to 3 others there about it to find out who was around at the time, and they all already knew about it so it must have been a big deal..

I'm quite sad to be leaving but visited my original 2nd choice nursery this afternoon (Ryan was supposedly sick so I've fetched him and hes fine... again) and hope to start there in 2 weeks handover period. They seem bigger but more professional.

Have any of your babies moved nurseries and did it affect them? He seemed happy enough there this afternoon when we visited but do they wake at night or get any sort of 'change' problems?

Argh. xx

Thats awful! "out of it"? they should have called you right away, thats not right at all.
What did he bang his head on? The floor? The slide?
I wouldn't have that, I would move him, I'm sure he'll settle in fine somewhere else.
You should call ofsted about the ratios too!

I'd be livid too! I think you def doing right to change nurseries, i think i'd want more info on what happened! Don't know about the effect of changing but just wanted to give you a :hug: and to say i hope your little man's ok xxx

OMG that's awful!!

Is he OK today? He he was knocked unconscious and then was sick he may have had concussion. They should have called you!

Hope he's OK. Definitely report them!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

i'm not surprised your livid thats just out of order!!!
Hope Ryan is ok today.
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Urchin said:
Thats awful! "out of it"? they should have called you right away, thats not right at all.
What did he bang his head on? The floor? The slide?
I wouldn't have that, I would move him, I'm sure he'll settle in fine somewhere else.
You should call ofsted about the ratios too!

I'd be livid too hun.

Ditto what Urchin said about the ratios. That is NOT legal. What if there was a fire? I would arrange a meeting with whoever manages the place too.

Hope he's over his bump :hug:

Oh no poor Ryan, that is really bad, he obviously had quite a bang to the head if he was vomiting last night! They of course should have phoned you! and you should report the ratio thing because they have these rules for a reason and as you found out the kids are not being watched carefully enough..accidents happen of course but more accidents happen if there is one person trying to watch 6 children/babies!

The should have called you :shock: I'd make a complaint to ofstead!

I had similar with harry he fell off a changing unit and I didn't get told until I collected him later in the day!

You have every right to feel like that..when I worked in a nursery, head injuries were taken seriously and the parents were informed ASAP, whether it was serious or not. Although accident forms were filled out for parents to be informed and signed, they're more to cover the Nurseries' back should the parent take it further. I think you're doing the right thing, what you've said sounds awful :hug:

bloody hell darling thats awful, report them :evil: I hope Ryan is ok after his shock!!

That's awful. Thye should have phoned you :evil:

OMG! That is hideous, no wonder you are livid, I would be too!! :twisted: My sons nursery are really good about things like that, and if anything are a bit TOO careful. They have phoned me before over silly little bumps that I wouldnt think twice about, so Im pretty sure if something big happened they would be straight on the phone. Makes you wonder if they deliberately didnt tell you because they knew the staff ratios were wrong and would get slapped for it if the accident was because of negligence? If only 1 woman is watching 6 babies, of course accidents will happen, you cant possibly monitor and control 6 kids at once, not safely. I would def report them and also complain to management...they are well out of order! :shakehead:

you are SOOoooooo right to be feeling livid at the nursery. I would be fuming that they hadn't contacted me. Hope Ryan is ok now :hug:

Thanks girls, seems you all think I'm justified in this, I was thinking maybe I was being a bit harsh.

He's been ill today so not entirely sure if the vomiting was head bang related or virus related... OH is a bit worried about switching nurseries too but I'll have to work on him. :wall:

Urchin he fell off the back of the slide onto the floor (inside, not outside concrete or anything).

Ryan's not feeling great but again it's probably due to this virus that's going round, I hope :(

Awwww the poor little poppet. I hope he is alright :hug:

I would defo report it!!!

Have you taken him to the doctors?

Honestly if you are worried you are better off going and getting him checked out. After a head bump if you notice any different behavior it's recommended you get them checked asap.
probably nothing but please get him checked.

I agree with Urchin to get him checked out. Also, the situation you described of not being informed straight away and Ryan being "out of it" is totally unacceptable and very bad practice. Please make a complaint to the nursery and to OFSTED about the incident and ratios. You could be protecting future children there.
Also, change Ryan's nursery. You are not over-reacting at all. I would be so angry. We are thinking of stopping our LO going to the child minder, I have posted about a few concerns, but I am getting more of a gut feeling that it is not for Imogen. She is doing much better at the nursery where they can work round her. Trust your instinct and do what is right for you and LO.
Hugs for you, I can't begin to imagine how you felt after being told all of that when you picked Ryan up. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: hope he is feeling better soon. But I would get him checked out anyway, if doc says yep virus straight away, at least you will know.

Hes had watery poo all day and Nat's getting ill too, they went to baby clinic and apparently it's the virus but at least they got him checked over.

That's awful and you're not a bitch for being angry. The ratio thing was one of the reasons we changed James' nursery - he was only there 3 weeks but the ratio never seemed to be 1:3. You should get in touch with ofsted - that's what they're there for. Can't really help with the changing nurseries bit as James is now with a childminder.

You are right to be angry - I work in a school and until recently we always rang parents if a child bumped their head, now teachers are told so they can keep an eye and a letter is sent home. But if they have been unconcious, parent's would be rung and asked to come and collect them to take them to the doctors - and that is with much older children.

I would def make an official complaint about the ratios, imagine what could happen in that situation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back