Life in the UK test - has anyone taken it? * UPDATED-PASSED

BabyMagic

Reaction score
I have finally decided to apply for a British citizenship. Not that I really need it as I already have an EU passport, but we have decided that it is better for everyone in the family to carry the same passport (OH and LO are already British). Plus there is currently a Green Paper about making it harder to apply...

Before putting the application in you need to do a 'Life in the UK' test (and study this book). Has anyone done it? If yes, was the test difficult? There is quite a lot of nitty gritty information on a book and I am just wondering how much I need to study. What sort of questions do they ask?

If all goes well with my application there is this 'Becoming a British Citizen' ceremony with oaths and stuff - oh dear, I am not really into those sort of things (I didn't even attend my own graduation for BA or MA :rotfl: ).

Updated 26 August

I did the test last week and passed it. I got a bit paranoid about passing so I pretty much recited the whole book (0.3% of the UK population are buddist, ca. 8% of the kids go to independent schools etc :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ).

Tbh, it was fairly easy but they did ask a few harder questions but I am pretty sure I got 100% as I knew the answers to all of them.

Only problem was that we started the test an hour late (they were waiting for other four people who never turned up). It took me 6 minutes to answer the 24 questions and double check my answers. I still had to wait for 45 minutes for others to finish so LO was started to get a bit too hungry so I ended up bf:ing her at the centre... Then it took me about another 15 minutes to get out after having the usual baby admirers attack :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

what nationality are you?

i've heard of people taking it, but i don't know anyone who has.

it's strange, i bet after you have taken and passed the tests etc, you will probably know more about Britain than we do ourselves!!!

I have been studying for the American version for getting green card and then eventually citizenship.

For it you have to know all past presidents, states, capitals, certain laws depending on the state you choose to live etc.

I want to do it once I'll be able to afford it. I'll qualify to apply from my wedding next year, but it will take me longer to actually save up the 700 or so quid the whole thing will cost. As I'm being a EU citizen too, it won't make that much difference, if I have to wait a bit longer, I'm just a bit miffed that I won't be able to vote yet in the next general elections.

From all I've read the test is relatively difficult as it has to do not only with "life in the UK" but also asks questions like "what is the demographic make-up of the immigrant population in London and how many are there?" Surely something a lot of people who are citizens by birth won't know.
There is something somewhere on the bbc website once with some model questions. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4099770.stm but I guess that's only a small sample.

Anyway, can you let me know how you found it, as I definitely want to go for it once I can. Oh, and where are you from?

widowwadman said:
Ihttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4099770.stm but I guess that's only a small sample.
i got 7 :lol: :lol:

SarahH said:
I have been studying for the American version for getting green card and then eventually citizenship.

For it you have to know all past presidents, states, capitals, certain laws depending on the state you choose to live etc.

Oooh I looked into that! I was crap haha they would never want me! :D

*Star* said:
what nationality are you?

i've heard of people taking it, but i don't know anyone who has.

it's strange, i bet after you have taken and passed the tests etc, you will probably know more about Britain than we do ourselves!!!

I am Finnish.

Did you know that: "Until 1882, when a woman got married, her earnings, property and money automatically belonged to her husband." :shock:

Do you know what quangos are????

Do you know what percentage of the UK population live in England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland???

"In most households, women continue to have the main responsibility for childcare and housework. There is evidence that there is now greater equality in homes and that more men are taking some responsibility for raising the family and doing housework." How equal are you and your OH in terms of housework??? Not much equality here :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: (mind though OH is great, he provides a cleaner so not complaining...)

Kimbo said:
widowwadman said:
Ihttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4099770.stm but I guess that's only a small sample.
i got 7 :lol: :lol:

I got 13 Wooohooo at least I would be allowed in Britain!! (if I wasnt born here already lol) Canad dont want me, Australia dont want me neither do the US :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: (well not that I have ever really tried! Just online lol)

I got 8. I've been wanting to move abroad for some time anyway, don't like the weather here, it's too cold.

what the heck is a quango?

Well Xena (hold on, need to find the page again as I have clearly forgotten :rotfl: ). It was something to do with work done outside Cabinet Minister....

Here we go:
"Non-departmental public bodies, also known as quangos, are independent organisations that carry out functions on behalf of public which it would be inappropriate to place under the political control of an Cabinet minister. There are many hundreds of these bodies, carrying out a wide variety of public duties. Appointments to these bodies are usually made by ministers, but they must do so in an open and fair way."

:think: Can someone translate this please???? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

A quasi autonomous non governmental organisation. That's an easy one...

widowwadman said:
A quasi autonomous non governmental organisation. That's an easy one...

So are they like charities or solicitors or what, or all private companies??? This b***y book doesn't give any examples...

Help the daft Finn... :rotfl:

Think of self-regulatory bodies, such as the press complaints commission and things like that, if I'm not completely wrong. And another example would be network rail,

Basically they're independent private (never publicly owned) bodies which deal with matters which are of interest to the government, but where it would be inappropriate for the government to be directly involved or to fund it. They're "at an arm's length from a minister"

lea m said:
SarahH said:

Oooh I looked into that! I was crap haha they would never want me! :D

Tbh, I think they only want me as they are getting a whole lot of dollars for legal fees to get the bloody green card! :roll: :evil:

i got 10 right- are they serious with questions like "what should you do if you spill someones pint on them in the pub"

and the one about tea? what a load of crap!

i did it last year to get residency. i recommend getting the book pf practice questions as wel, it gives you an idea of exactly what level of knowledge you need.

Also in my test the first question was word for word one of the practice question which helped me reax cos i knew i knew that one!

Good luck it isn't too hard but a bit frustrating havong to do it in the first palce as some people have said you need to know things the average british person doesn't which seems discrimination to me (IMO only).

Sandi

I've heard it's hard but know a few people who have passed - and you're right! It's stuff most of us Britts wouldn't have a clue about :rotfl: Like what are our main crops etc :shock:

Hubby needs to take it but he's not eligible yet. Because he switched from one visa to another he still wont have got his indefinate leave until March/April next year :roll: Although he's been here about 7years they wont add all the visa up! Every time he got a new one they start counting all over again :wall:

OMG Babymagic....Why would you want to be part of a country that thinks Father Christmas lives in the North Pole when hes most definitely in Lapland.. :rotfl: :rotfl: My DH says he's insulted....he's Finnish too... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Squiglet said:
OMG Babymagic....Why would you want to be part of a country that thinks Father Christmas lives in the North Pole when hes most definitely in Lapland.. :rotfl: :rotfl: My DH says he's insulted....he's Finnish too... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

HA! See I argued this one as well.... North Pole my a*se

I got SEVEN. I'll just close the door behind me shall I. :? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back