Lets talk about Birth :D

Tillytots

Reaction score
What are everyones thoughts on birth and what are your plans ie. home or hospital / water or dry land? I know its a way off yet but I like to think about it to mentally prepare myself.

Im actually really excited about it giving birth :cheer:

I plan to have a home birth with a birthing pool in my front room. Midwife is happy with this providing the rest of my pregnancy goes smoothy. Apparently my tiny little town has the second highest rate of homebirths in Kent. They fully support home birthing even for your 1st which I think is brilliant. I want to avoid hospital at all costs if poss!

xx

Let's not talk about birth!

My only way of dealing with this impending doom is to ignore the fact it's going to happen and to avoid reading those chapters in all my books. I'm also NEVER moving to Tri 3.

I have a serious phobia of needles, doctors and hospitals so my midwife wants me to go to the midwife-based unit nearby where it's a bit more chilled out. Still, I don't fancy the hour's ambulance drive to Lancaster hospital if anything goes wrong / I need a caesarean.

ARGH Sarah you're stressing me!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

i want a dry homebirth
consultant today said she is very happy for me to have one aslong as nothing happens between now and then :)
me and hubby are going to start on the birth-plan after xmas then have a trial run in feb lol (getting towels out making bottles ect)
manda xx

people keep asking me if i am scared lol but the wierd thing is i am not im just looking forward to being able 2 punch my x in the face and get away with it :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Tegala :rotfl: can't believe you are having him there!!!

debecca said:

My only way of dealing with this impending doom is to ignore the fact it's going to happen and to avoid reading those chapters in all my books. I'm also NEVER moving to Tri 3.

I have a serious phobia of needles, doctors and hospitals so my midwife wants me to go to the midwife-based unit nearby where it's a bit more chilled out. Still, I don't fancy the hour's ambulance drive to Lancaster hospital if anything goes wrong / I need a caesarean.

ARGH Sarah you're stressing me!!!!!!!!! :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
right, Ive made it my mission to try and chill you out about it. I have about 23 weeks....plenty of time! Im needle phobic too so know where you're coming from there. I hate hospital hence me wanting home birth. I have quite a drive if I need caesarean but Il worry about that IF it happens.

xx

debecca said:
Tegala :rotfl: can't believe you are having him there!!!

i was thinking no i wont but then he said he really wanted to be there and we are getting along really well (as friends)...

infact im really excited to abuse him :rotfl:
im letting everything bad that he done pass UNTILL im in laubour

he really doesnt know what hes got comming for him :rotfl: :rotfl:

debecca said:

Awwww, midwife lead units tend to be much nicer from what I am told as they are smaller and of course, less people in there.

And awwww some more about never moving to Tri 3 :hug:

i love the idea of a home birth but not sure i could stand the mess afterwards... :shock: :shock: plus i live in a flat with neighbours above, below and next door to me - so not really sure i want to subject them to that!! :rotfl:

all being well, i'm going to the midwife unit at st george's - it hasn't even opened yet but is supposed to be really nice; v home from home sort of environment. i've ordered a tens machine (not convinced it'll help but worth a try), i fancy using the birthing pool during labour but not for birth, then am hoping to get by with gas & air and a birthing ball and we'll see what happens!

i'm actually really looking forward to it!! :cheer: :cheer:

Tillytots said:
What are everyones thoughts on birth and what are your plans ie. home or hospital / water or dry land? I know its a way off yet but I like to think about it to mentally prepare myself.

Crikey, what do you mean a way off yet! I've already decided on my hospital and everything. Had to do that before I was 12 weeks :roll: :rotfl:

Short version - I live in Devon but did not want to go to the huge main hospital in Exeter as its almost an hours drive away. Also does not have best reputation. Could not go more local and be in my local MW led unit as am asthmatic and prone to the occasional bad attack when under stress. So needed to be in a consultant led unit. As I refused my own Health Authority I had to have paperwork sent to another hospital of my choice in Somerset so they would take me on their books. Its 30 minutes drive away and meant to be a better experience than down in Exeter. Plus I know a couple of doctors working there which was reasurring as they speak highly of the staff in the maternity unit.

I'm 37 and as I have no idea of how this, my first pregnancy will go, as much as I'd like a home birth, I decided against it. I have definate thoughts on a birthing plan and don't wish to have pain relief other than gas and air, but as people have said, never say never and be prepared to change my mind. However, I have a high pain threshold with pain I can understand and rationalise, so hope to manage.

But I want no doctor or consultant near me unless I require emergency medical treatment. I'm happy to leave it to the MW to assisit during birth and shall request this. I hope to move around a lot as that helps me pain wise. I hope for it to be as natural as possible and not to feel rushed and that I have a time limit to deliver within before they try and speed me up. That is my one big fear. If baby is ok, it takes as long as it takes and no clock watching from anyone :shakehead:

Really I am a tough old boot and if the hospital is not happy with my requests and we can't agree I shall then go for a home birth and if need be a privately hired MW. It may cost at shorter notice, but hell, people pay £2000 to go on holiday and to me, having a baby is far more important than that, so I can fully justify spending the money if we have to, if it means I have the birth I would like.

Of course, if I need emergency medical treatment then hospital it is, but I shall be sure to be asking lots of questions :roll:

Erm so in summation, I've not thought about it much at all :rotfl:

Homebirth all the way for me, had one with my second baby and it was sooo chilled out i didnt need pain relief. So calm and had a really nice experience.

Im just hoping all goes well with this pregnancy to allow me to stay at home.

I don't want to talk about it, it makes me very twitchy!!

Mind you, saying all I've just said, once I made the decisions I've hardly thought about them since. I talked it over with hubby, we decided and then I've sort of forgotten all about it. I won't worry now till much nearer the time.

I'm planning on going to the small midwife unit in the next town, it's halfway between a hospital and home birth.

They have a maximum of 2 women in labour there are a time so you get lots of attention and they encourage you to spend lots of time in the birthing pools. You go home about 3 hours after giving birth if you're well enough which suits me fine :D You have to let the midwives know you're in labour quite early on so they can get there, unlock and turn the lights on! (Apart from antenatal clinics on certain days, it's shut at night unless someone's in labour)

I'm not sure what would happen if more than two women were in labour at the same time, will have to ask. I think they only deliver 60 babies on average there a year so maybe it's never been an issue.

Pain relief wise you can get gas and air, pethidine or the injection (dia-something). They don't have epidurals but I'm not keen on having one anyway cos with an epidural you're stuck in bed for hours after and I'd much rather have a nice soak in the bath to help me feel more human again.

I felt really ignored and neglected when I had James in hospital last time, the midwives were rushed off their feet and hardly said a word to me! I'm adement I'm not going to one unless me or baby are at risk.

I considered a home birth but not keen on the mess (my mum had homebirths and said each time there was blood on the carpet :shock: )
Also, when you have a homebirth you have to dispose of your own placenta, I don't like the idea of that lying in the dustbin for 2 weeks waiting for the bin men to take it away :lol:

ETA....

I'm the same there...if I need to be transferred to hospital it's an hours ambulance ride from the midwife unit to Aberdeen!
It's quite rare this would happen though, and your midwife wouldn't suggest the unit if she thought there was a risk of that happening

hospital for me as I had some complications last time, but going for mobile labour this time and hope to be home after 6 hours

Lets talk about men, or shopping, or sex, or clothes or gardening or music or cars anything but I'm not discussing birth absolutely no way, full stop , not you can't make me!! :wall: :eek:

Hospital with lovely drugs on stand-by :D

Would like to be as natural and active as possible with minimum drugs but as I haven't even got a bump yet, I'm prepared to accept that things might change. I like the idea of pain relief on tap if needed. maybe I'm just a big wuss :lol:

I'm looking forward to it! I think my mind has blocked out the worst though, selective memory :lol:

My mum says when it's your second and you get the first contraction it all comes flooding back and you think 'oh bollocks!' :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back