Home or birth unit

becks20

Reaction score
I know there are a few posts about this but i just want to know what you would do in my sistuation.

I really want a home birth as my mum lives an hour away and i want her to be at the birth so if i went into labour she could come in whenever she gets here and also my daughter would beable to see the baby just after its born, BUT i dont want the hassle of all the sheeting, bags, 2 clear work surfaces for the midwifes etc.

But... iv been told my my SIL that the hospital have opened a midwife led birthing unit, but i cant find no info about it, but id like a water birth which the midwife said i could have, BUT if i have to go into hospital id have to drop my daughter off with either SIL who will have a 3month old or my MIL and then we woould have to try get parked up hospital then my mum wouldnt beable to come in half way through or whatever the time be and if i have the baby during night would i be put on the ward and my partner sent home? or would i beable to leave after having the baby?

im really stuck on what to do :( any help would be apprechiated! Thanks x

I would speak to ur midwife about the new unit, also to guage their reaction about home births, my old one was really pro them which was good, but I guess each area may be different with their approach due to resources

I would speak to ur midwife about the new unit, also to guage their reaction about home births, my old one was really pro them which was good, but I guess each area may be different with their approach due to resources

i have asked them about home birth which there rection was, shocked and "Oh" basically they didnt want me to have one. YET my SIL who is having her 1st baby in may told the same midwife that she wanted a home birth and they said " yea we do loads of home births in the area, yea you can have one" iv had a child already so i thought id be at a lower risk but they clearly think not x

You need to check with the unit. Most will let you home after 6 hours these days. I had my LO at 9pm so I stayed in the Birth Centre over night and left late the next morning.

I'm having this one at home. The MWs sort everything. I was told I didnt really need anything unless I wanted a pool. I've got a couple of shower curtains to use as plastic sheets but thats about it. The MWs tidy everything away after and they only need a small area to work from :)

iv been told the midwifes here need 2 clear work surfaces to work from and id need to buy the sheeting towels etc, iv got pros and cons for home birth and birthing unit i just really dunno what to do but i no if i do decide on a home birth im gonna have to fight for it i think x

that seems really odd... I'ld ask her again about the home birth and see what her reaction is, if it somethng u want then go for it... I was initially thinking about staffing and stuff being a put of for them due to safety but if ur SIL is planning one with ese than that is obviously not a problem...

when I spoke to my new midwife about not being keen on being in hospital I was told that ours has changed its policy apparently and will let u go after 2 hours as that is gennerally the maximum that the mw would stay with u at home for...

I think you are entitled to a home birth, in fact your choice should be taken seriously - women should be allowed to give birth up a tree if it takes their fancy :lol: good luck!

My aunt had her last three children at home and said the mw cleared up everything after. You only need old towels/sheets and some plastic sheeting. And once you've had babe it can be bagged and binned in 5 mins. I was a bit worried about that 'cos OH hates mess, but he'l just have to live with it hehe. On the flip side my mw said that if all is well with birth in hospital i can leave within 3 hours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back