Anyone thinking about a home birth?

tania

Reaction score
Had always thought would defo go to hospital for my first baby, but the hospital near us is absolutely ancient and disgusting - a new one has opened but they aren't moving maternity there until next July - and I really don't want to have the baby there. Have started hypnobirthing classes and looking at how to stay relaxed etc while giving birth and have started thinking about maybe hiring a birthing pool and doing it at home - the hospital sends a midwife out to you and has an ambulance on standby just in case.

Really not sure what to do though - have spoken to some friends who had homebirths and they seemed to have much more positive experiences of childbirth than my friends who have done it in hospital. Like the idea of being at home and relaxed but worried in case anything goes wrong - we are prob 15-20 minutes away from the hospital if there was an emergency.

Just wondered if anyone else had thought about it?

I personally havent condsidered it as I dont think its for me but I know people who are considering it at the moment as one of the maternity units near me is closing so a lot of people are opting for home birth!

I would absolutely love a home birth in a birthing pool, but unfortunately i have very rapid labours and go into shock afterwards and the baby can too but luckily enough none of babies ever have only me, so i am not allowed i get induced early to make sure i am in hospital and unfortunately i dont even have time to fill a sink let alone a pool. i have heard alot of positive stories of homebirth, i always look into it because incase i go into labour by myself and i end up having baby at home.

I am very much considering a home-hypno-waterbirth. I start a course a week on sunday and after reading lots of hypno-homebirth stories, it is something I would really like to do. There is a hypnobirth group on baby centre that you could join to read more stories.

Mrs B - let me know how you get on with the hypnobirthing class. We just started on Monday night but think its going to be good. Do think its something that would work better at home though.

Hard cos my mum is dead against us doing the homebirth thing as shes worried about something going wrong, and keeps sending me stories about people who have had to have emergency sections etc :-(

When I first fell pregnant the thought of a home birth horrified me, but now I can definately see the advantages of it. Too be honest I have not really given it much thought and just assumed I would be giving birth in the hospital. Your post has really made me think and I think I am off to so some research!

I think for me my main concern would be the safety aspect but like you I live not too far from the hospital so could easily be transfered if something went wrong. I'm not sure if I could convince OH that it is a good idea though!

I will do. I think it will work well wherever you choose to have baby. But from my reading it does seem that hypnobirthing and homebirths can work well together as hypnobirthing encourages you to to stay calm which helps to have an easier birth and also the fact that you are at home helps to keep you calmer.

Check out this site for some stories http://www.tums2mums.com/index_files/hypnobirthing_stories.htm it is who I am using for my course.

Also check out your local NCT, they will probably have a homebirth group and you can go to where you can learn of other people's experiences.

And tell your mum to stop trying to scare you! It really isnt fair, it is your choice where you give birth. Does your local hospital offer you 1-1 care when in labour? Because you will get that with a homebirth.

I'd love to have a home birth but i would be way to scared that something would go wrong and we're 30 mins for our hospital and theres always the chance of snow, but from what i've heard it's a really positive experience xx

I am planning a home birth myself. I have the first home visit from the midwife next Friday. Fingers crossed that I get the go ahead!

I would have loved a home birth, but as this is our first baby, hubby put his foot down and said no, and the midwife said that we were better off at the hospital this time if one or the other of us is feeling insecure, that way if anything should go wrong my hubby wouldnt blame me for wanting to give birth at home. I see her point. Incredibly jeleous of you ladies and wish i could be doing it at home.

I was all go for a home birth, was prepared with my natal hypnotherapy and had the ok from mw etc. As it turned out I had to go to hospital as no one was free to come out and he was back to back which caused me bad pain on my torn disc. I used the natal hypnotherapy whilst I was at home though and got to 8 cm just using the visualisation techniques and my OH was amazing. I only had 3 puffs in gas and air at hospital before I was 10 cm and pushing. It was lovely to be at home and having candle lit baths and candle lit bedroom with lavender oil in my burner but the hospital I gave birth in was lovely and midwife led so was very relaxed. I felt in complete control even when I needed to go to high dependancy to have him and then go back to low dependancy, it was like a hone from home.

I was all go for a home birth, was prepared with my natal hypnotherapy and had the ok from mw etc. As it turned out I had to go to hospital as no one was free to come out and he was back to back which caused me bad pain on my torn disc. I used the natal hypnotherapy whilst I was at home though and got to 8 cm just using the visualisation techniques and my OH was amazing. I only had 3 puffs in gas and air at hospital before I was 10 cm and pushing. It was lovely to be at home and having candle lit baths and candle lit bedroom with lavender oil in my burner but the hospital I gave birth in was lovely and midwife led so was very relaxed. I felt in complete control even when I needed to go to high dependancy to have him and then go back to low dependancy, it was like a hone from home.

Helen did you find you still managed to use your hypnotherapy techniques in the hospital? I am worried will be able to do them at home then if go into hospital for the actual birth it will all go out the window cos the change in atmosphere. Like I said the hospital here not nice or homely at all, but I don't know if I get good enough at going into the relaxed state if I will be able to do it in hospital anyway?

Yeah I found they still helped and I could still do them in hospital, especially the breathing techniques which just kicked in automatically. The biggest help was the techniques kept me calm and in control which was very important to me x

thought you couldn't have a home birth with your first? I have choosen hospital but now I know I'm being induced its defo going to be there anyways :S x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back