hospital bag

jayla's mummy

Reaction score
ladies im really confussed i dont know what i have to pack in my hospital bag( for the labour,me and the baby). i thought id start thinking about it since time is going by so fast. if you have any suggestions...
xnatx

this list is from midwives online

What shall I bring to hospital when I go into labour?

This list is primarily for those women who plan to deliver in hospital, however if you are planning for a home birth many of the items suggested you may need.
Your own midwife may have a list also. There are 3 sections in the list:
1. For mums to be,

Your toilet bag with toothpaste, toothbrush, comb, shampoo, soap, hairbrush etc.
2 towels (small and large). I suggest that your bath towel should be a darker shade.
Sanitary towels, the large absorbent type, probably 2 packs.DO NOT USE TAMPONS.
Something comfortable to wear in labour, a loose T-shirt, night-shirt, something that you don't mind getting messy. If you are going to breastfeed you may wish to think about the type that you can open at the front. You may wish to wear a hospital gown for labour. In addition bring nightwear to put on after the birth. If you are in hospital in very early labour you may wish to wear something loose and comfortable during the day.
Dressing gown and slippers
2 or 3 nursing bras. (If you are going to breast-feed). When you are buying these remember that your breasts may be larger. If you are not breast feeding, ordinary bras will be fine but your breast may be larger initially.
about 6 extra pants. You may wish to include old pants or even disposable ones. They may get messy. Think about comfort too.
Odd-bits for the labour room. A personal stereo, tapes, CDs, water spray and sponges, massage oil, anything that you think will be helpful. Some people like to bring their own pillows, sweets.
Books, magazines, something's that will help you to relax, you may do needlework etc.
Plenty of change for the phone, a phonecard. Many hospitals do not allow the use of mobile phones in the maternity unit. Your address/phone numbers book.
comfortable outdoor clothes for travelling home in.
2. For your birthpartner/friend,

Plenty of cold drinks, snacks, sandwiches etc,
change for the phone and telephone numbers,
wear something loose and comfortable,
books, magazines or newspaper for when you take a break,
3. For your baby,

Most hospitals provide a gown for the baby after birth, however you may wish to dress the baby in your own babyclothes. Remember that they may get a bit messy. Do not over-dress you baby, hospitals are very warm places.
3 or 4 babygrows/stretch suits.
disposable nappies (check with your midwife as some provide these)
3 or 4 vests
a cardigan
Shawl/blanket to wrap the baby to come home in.
Hat, mitts, bootees to travel home in.
Some items are not supplied by your hospital so chat with your midwife, they may advise other items.

Hi

I think youve pretty much covered it definetly dont forget your camera
Katrina

Straws for you, if you have to lie down and cant move (epidural), its easier to drink with a straw...socks too, your feet get really cold, take 2 pairs incase your waters go on one pair and wet them, you have a spare pair :wink: Oh, and lucozade tablets/drinks...I couldnt eat once I went onto labour ward for induction so survied on them :lol:

I remeber taking a really good book, cos once i was on that labour ward and stephen had fallen asleep, i had a read (was too sore to sleep from epi!).
So defo a good book or take money for the tv and the phone.

If not if yuo have a gameboy or something, labiuyr wards are boring unfortunatelyif your baby is settled and asleep

thank you ladies its so much easier asking women who have been there and done it you all really covered everything. i think ill take a good harry potter book. hehehe. ta luvz
xnatx

None of the lists I have seen include food for the mother, do we not get to eat during labour?? What if you are in labour for days (my friend had a 3 day labour!) surely they can't starve you for that ammount of time, you'd have no enery to push!

Labour snacks are big definite! I actually didn't eat during labour - I ate them on my first day on the ward as I gave birth at 6.37am and they didn't feed me until 4pm :shakehead: (They took my lunch order, then came back at 1.30 to clear my tray, I told her I hadn't had my food bought to me, and she just said, oh okay then! No offer of getting me anything)

The best tip I was given was antiseptic wipes......for cleaning the loo before you go, as they don't obviously clean it between ladies & without being too gross, it is more likely to have dirty seat :puke: Sorry about that snippet of info :oops:

Also, a jug to pour water over your bits whilst you pee to help with the stinging :shock:

None of the lists I have seen include food for the mother, do we not get to eat during labour?? What if you are in labour for days (my friend had a 3 day labour!) surely they can't starve you for that ammount of time, you'd have no enery to push!

I was been encouraged to eat after i was induced. i was offered tea and toast afterwards but was at the same hosp as Em so best to have something there just incase.

I also drank masses of water as the gas and air made me really thirsty...i took a 4 pack of bottles of small water and drank them all + more

Take drinks in the sports bottles, you know with the pull up caps.....much easier to drink out of & you can refill them :wink:

after i was induced and waiting for it to really get going i went to the cafe and had some food then dozed off.
i think that list has it all though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back