Just lost a job because I am pregnant.

Spuggy

Reaction score
Really gutted. I found out I was pregnant this week (fab news!) and also had an interview at a vets practice as a p/t receptionist. I didn't tell them at the interview that I was pregnant as I wanted a good chance at getting it.

They called me Wednesday when I was out and told my husband that they wanted me for the job. It would be part-time and was actually only for 9 months maternity cover for someone else. Ideal I thought.

Anyway, I had a sleepless night thinking about whether to tell them about the pregnancy when I called to confirm that I wanted the job. When I woke up I decided that I would accept the job and I would also tell them my news, mainly beacuse I didn't want to put the baby at risk by being exposed to anything on the job that would harm it.

When I called she was shocked, said "the lady before me did the same thing" and said she would call me back. Anyway, she did call back and said that they no longer wanted to take me on as it wouldn't be fair on the other staff when I couldn't pull my weight later on and that I would have to take time out for classes. And also, it would mean a month or so gap between when the other lady came back. Basically it wasn't good for the practice.

I was so upset as I have been looking for a job like this for a while and I really wanted it.

Much later I got a call from Headoffice who must have heard about this (obviously concerned about how illegal this was) and said, "the job is yours"! Basically, saying the woman at the branch was confused. It was all so fake and everything she said was so text book. Purely because she was worried I would sue.

So, after all this confusion and being upset, I could't take the job. It would have been soo uncomfortable working somewhere where you know they didn't want to take you on and later when I perhaps couldn't pull my weight I would feel really bad.

So, there you are. Gutted.

Perhaps give ACAS a ring for advice, Im sure this is some sort of constructive dismissal type of thing. I would be so angry at that, give them a ring and explain, its clearly not fair how they have treated you.

Their number is 08457 47 47 47

Let me know what they say xx

Perhaps give ACAS a ring for advice, Im sure this is some sort of constructive dismissal type of thing. I would be so angry at that, give them a ring and explain, its clearly not fair how they have treated you.

Their number is 08457 47 47 47

Let me know what they say xx

I was about to say the same thing - ACAS. Voice your concerns over how you felt and why you turned the job down.

It does sounds like they're tried to cover their arse, they've made you feel now that even though they offered you the job, you're the one who's turned it down. I'd definitely take some advice as Rosies mummy suggested.

That's awful hun :hug: you should definitely seek advice because they basically made you feel you couldn't accept the job because of being pregnant. They can't do that! x

I absolutely hate to think of people like this getting away with things such as this - its discrimination in every sense of the word. Dont let them get away with it! Even if you dont take the job make them squirm and then maybe they wouldnt dare to do this to anyone else.

Ahh I'm so sorry about that. I'm a full time Carer, and I used to do very heavy work. But when I became pregnant my boss took me off my usual rounds because there's a lot of heavy lifting involved. And instead she put me on easier rounds but it's only like 12 hours a week. It really isn't enough for me. So I really don't know what to do now. :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back