Didn't get the job!

topbird

Reaction score
:( :(

This a long running saga... I applied for a job internally. HR knew I was pregnant but said they would not tell the division I was going for the job with.

I went for a 1st interview at start of Feb, it went brilliantly and got told I had a second interview but didn't hear anything for 4 weeks! so by this point I was showing and in maternity clothes, so HR decided to tell the person I was going for the job with.

Second interview finally came long last week - absolute mare - he was like a completely different person, very aggressive and confrontational, by the end of it I just wanted to cry I could not wait to get out of the room. Worst interview I have ever had.

The reason they gave was lack of industry knowledge - what b*ll*cks!!! I work for the same company and no one else does.

Don't know why I thought I might get taken seriously, applying for a job when pregnant! I am gutted - I hate my current job so much and the thought of having to come back here after the baby is born just makes me want to cry! :(

The divison I work for are doing really badly and my job is rapidly disappearing, so doubt I will have one to come back to anyway. When I told my boss I was applying for another job he actually said: "Oh good - saves me trying to think of something for you to do!!" :x

Really sorry to hear that :hug:

Thats a bit out of order if they didn't give you job just because you are pregnant, im sure there is something you can do about that like unfair treatment or something im sure i have seen a story like yours and the girl won money because of it.... if you feel that angry about it hun it could be something to find out about.... Really sorry again must make you feel really down :hug:

oh thats horrible. some people are so judgemental :hug:

its a shame you cant prove the reason he didnt employ you. that would make him think twice in future

Hi topbird,

I am so sorry to hear about the job, it was all looking so positive!

It does sound like you have been discriminated against, but doubtful if it would be possible to prove it, unless someone else was in the room both times and willing to testify?

I am having a cr*p time at work too (see my other thread) so I completly sympathise - I don't want to come back here either and hate my job too, there may not be a job here either - however I was told last night by my lawyer that if you are made redundant while on maternity leave, then you have loads more rights and this is really when you want (!) to be made redundant as the law is so on your side!

I really hope everything works out for you honey.

Love

Valentine xxx

Thanks everyone :hug:

it is hard to not assume I have been the victim of discimination as it makes it easier to swallow than I just was not up to the job, which may also be true!

If they had another candidate who did have better industry knowledge and this was one of the criteria for selection (which it wasn't as it is not on the list of key attributes they were looking for on the job description) then I do not know why they bothered to drag 4 people back for second interviews as 3 of us obviously never had a chance.

So V - tell me about getting made redundant when on maternity leave - what could I get??

That truely sucks, sorry you had such a horrible interviewer.
Are there any other jobs in your company you can go for?
Surely your employer is legally bound to offer you similar employment at the same pay when you get back. I know it's not ideal but you could start reapplying as soon as you get back from maternity leave so you won't have to spend long in your old job and hopefully you'll be given a fair go by the interviewers next time.
good luck xxxxx

Aww I'm sorry you didnt' get the job TopBird. Maybe it's just as well though if you were going to have to work with that horrible man. It could be a lucky escape given his temperment. :shock:

I guess it does look a bit like your pregnancy made a difference and in that respect I would be angry too. Trouble is it sounds like it might be quite difficult to prove :think:

If there's nothing else suitable and you really are so unhappy maybe you could enquire about voluntary redundancy. Or just take the benefits of maternity leave and pay but not go back after the baby is born?

I know employers aren't SUPPOSED to discriminate these days (there are laws etc) but I'm 100% sure some still do. :talkhand: It's disgusting really when you think how men just escape all that stuff.

:hug:
Sabrina
x

Hi

What a jerk i hate people like that i bet if you were not pregnant you would of gotten the job!! would of made a complaint at least as i do think it was discrimination which is not fair .
:hug: Im sure you willbe able to find a better job before you have to go back to work .
Katrina

Sabrina said:
Aww I'm sorry you didnt' get the job TopBird. Maybe it's just as well though if you were going to have to work with that horrible man. It could be a lucky escape given his temperment. :shock:

LOL - was thinking that too just now! If he is that switchy in interviews imagine working for him!! Maybe it was a lucky escape. he could be a real slave driver...

HR are going to write to me formally explaining why I didn't get the job, so i will respond to the letter, just so it is on file and I have had my say, but won't persue it any further than that - not worth putting my bump through all the stress.

At least at the moment I am not expected to do any work and should I decide to come back (and there is still a job!) I can pretty much write my own rules as my current boss is totally spineless. Other people with small children walk all over him. One girl has her child minder drop her 3 year old kid off at 4.30 (1/2 hour before we finish) and he runs riot round the office for 1/2 hour screaming so loud I have had to call customers back as they cannot hear me and the boss has done nothing about it.

Saulino - I hope so, have been making a list of agencies etc... and my CV is bang up to date thanks to this interview so can invest a bit of my maternity leave in finding something better.

topbird said:
So V - tell me about getting made redundant when on maternity leave - what could I get??

Hi TB!

I'm really not too sure to be honest - my lawyer just said that as an employee you were in a much better position to be made redundant when on maternity leave - you have many more rights. She always advises employers to make people redundant before they go on maternity leave (charming!).

I'll see if I can find out more and get back to you - something to research while I should be working!

Hope that helps!

Valentine xxx

Sorry to hear that, that's rubbish! I would advise that towards the end of your maternity leave you could start looking for something else, you are bound to find it!

Try not to worry too much :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back