Start new job

Emma58

Reaction score
I start my new job today after having 6 weeks hols off!
I am going to tell them I am pg and get it out of the way straight away I feel really bad I wasn't pg when I had the interview but obviously found out I am during the holidays.
I am really worried they aren't going to be happy I don't think.

congrats on the new job, what will you be doing?

im sure they will be fine about it. :hug:

edited as my laptop keeps missing letters out!

Good luck, I hope your first day goes well :hug: :hug:

I'm sure they'll be fine about you being pg, even if they're not they can't do anything about it now you've got the job.

I'm trying to find a new job myself cos I hate my current one and haven't got the patience for it in my current hormonal state

I start my new job next monday. I was pregnant at the interview but didn't say anything. So think how bad I feel. It was too good to turn down though. It's for an accountant job and they put you through the full course at college and everything. Going to feel so bad telling them I'm pregnant! :(

i start my new job on sat i dint tell them i was pg at interview either and im not going to tell them im pg till 4 weeks after i start as they have a policy on saking people in the first 4 weeks if they do anything wrong and dont want them to find some stupid thing to get rid of me because im pg
only prob is i gotta wear my maternity tops till i get my uniform as my vest i live in make it way to ob lol
good luck for your job
manda xx

good luck with ure job.
i got made redundant last friday and now ive got to find a job but its not even like im 5 weeks and can say i didnt know! im almost 13 weeks!! i dunno what to do :(

aww hun :hug: :hug: That's bad timing. If it were me I wouldn't tell them until I'd got the job. Maybe you could look for jobs that are fixed term contracts, or maternity cover?

littlepip said:
good luck with ure job.
i got made redundant last friday and now ive got to find a job but its not even like im 5 weeks and can say i didnt know! im almost 13 weeks!! i dunno what to do :(

by law you dont have to tell them till you are like 25 weeks
and no1 will ask you if you are as no1 wants to seem rude
manda xx

You have to have worked for the company for 26 weeks by your 15th week (so basically 10 weeks before you fall pregnant) to be entitled to Maternity Pay so you will have to do with the SMP (I think its £102.75 a week). Check Inland Rev. website for details.

My company have an amazing maternity policy (18 weeks full pay, 18 weeks 1/2 pay and then up to 16 weeks on SMP.....) I'm going to take the full year off!!

x

yer i wont get mat pay from my company sadly but i still might be intilled to a good pay from goverment as havent been unemployed for 3 years now
manda xx

From what I can tell the normal Maternity Allowance you get from the goverment (when you don't qualify for SMP) changed in April this year. Now it's the same amount and length of time as SMP. The only difference is you won't get the 6 weeks of full pay from your employer. I think you get £112 a week or 90% of your wages if they're normally less than that

its all really confusing aint it everyone should just get the same rate weather youve worked or not really would make things alot easier and maybe if youve worked you get an extra £30 a week or something
manda xx

I bottled it and never told them. It was so busy in there today there just wasn't the right moment. And the lady who is my line manager was constantly rushed off her feet, I kept building up to it thinking I'll tell them now but it never happened.

Don't know when i'll have the courage to tell them will have to be soon though i'm already starting to show and i'm only 8 weeks!

I wouldn't tell them until you have been there a few weeks - whats your probation period?

I dont mean to sound horrible but if you tell them you are pregnant whilst you are in your probation period they are able to sack you and you wouldnt be able to do anything about it :(

Unfortunately some companies can be really horrible :(

I'm not sure what my probation period is. I am working as a Teaching assistant so obviously employed by local authority who I wouldn't have thought would stoop so low (but you never know)
The only problem I have is my son starts there tomorrow and I will have to swear him to secrecy not to tell anyone because at the minute he wants to tell everyone he meets and i don't want any of the teachers to find out from him blabbing!! AAArrrgggh it's so complicated it's doin my head in I really don't know what to do for best

did you not get a contract or anything? you could just ask casualy just say you was wondering what the probationary time is
good luck
manda xx

Hi there, I don't know if it helps but I work for a local authority where the probationary period is six months.

any one know about getting maternity pay when your self employed?

a friend of mine got sacked from a care home for being pregnant and took them to a tribunial and won £4,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back