Advice needed.. pregnancy& new job

Munz

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm in a dilemma! week before I found out that I was pregnant, I was offered a job.. I don't start till mid Jan 2012 ( il be 10 weeks, fingers crossed!) but I have a introduction meeting with my new manager and colleagues to be tomorrow. Should I tell them I am expecting? or should I wait till after I am 12weeks? or when would be the best time to tell them?

I'm worried they might withdraw the job offer!

And what benefits/ schemes are we entitled to as expectant mothers??

I think you don't legally have to tell them until you are 25 weeks (if you can keep the bump a secret that long!!), but it is difficult as they may need to do risk assessments etc. Does the job have an induction perid and have you signed a contract yet? Would the citizens advice bureau be able to advise you on employment law?

I wouldn't tell at this stage, not only because they might find a reason to withdraw the offer, but also just in case anything happens before the end of tri 1.

You might find you're only entitled to Maternity Allowance but you could find out about occupational maternity pay depending on what your job is.

Best of luck xx

Hellywelly my induction or training period is 16weeks from when I start and at 7 weeks I already have a lil bump showing! lol but once your employed you can't get sacked for being pregnant can you? I have signed on the dotted line!! lol
I think I need to get in touch with CAB and find out what the laws says.

Leesey I think your right leave it till 2 Tri, and thanks I will look into exactly what I am entitled to :)

I started a new job in the nhs in october having accepted in july and only told them when i had my 12 week scan around the 12th december, as with maternity pay you all my books say you have to be in your currnet employment 26 weeks before gettin pregnant to get the maternity pay your work will pay for otherwise its the government paid one x

Legally they can't sack you for being pregnant. But if u have a probationary period I don't think they have to give u a reason for sacking you at the end of that - so I'd be a wee bit wary.

Xxx

To be entitled to maternity pay u have to have been employed 1 full week before u find out do basically u have to be employed for 39 of the 40 weeks to be entitled otherwise it's maternity allowance which works same way and same amount just without the 6 weeks paid leave from ur company. They CANNOT sack u because ur pregnant but they can end ur contract and give u bull crap excuse as u are in probation. They can end ur contract in the first week with only 24 hours notice and no reason. Best to keep lo a secret till u are over 12 weeks xxxx

I started a new job in the nhs in october having accepted in july and only told them when i had my 12 week scan around the 12th december, as with maternity pay you all my books say you have to be in your currnet employment 26 weeks before gettin pregnant to get the maternity pay your work will pay for otherwise its the government paid one x

For statuatory maternity pay you have to be employed by the same employer 26 weeks into the 15th week before ur baby is due - the qualifying week (week 25) so to get smp you need to have worked one week before falling pregnant.

Otherwise you can get Maternity Allowance.
xxx

Hi all,
I have been looking into this exact problem and the girls are right with regard to maternity pay etc....

According to directgov you don't have to tell your employers that you are pregnant until 15 weeks before your due date. If you haven't been in the job for 26 weeks at that point then you dont get SMP but you would qualify for MA. You are still entitled to the same amount of maternity leave though.

I was offered a job on 25th November, starting 1st Jan for a one year contract....I found out on 20th Dec that I am pregnant....

I was wondering if anyone could help me though....

My new job is in a school, so I'll finish for the summer holidays about 6weeks before my due date (perfect huh!??)....and then if I take 26 weeks maternity leave, I'll be due to return in January - at which point my contract will have expired.....or be up for renewal....as it runs from 1st Jan 2011 - 1st Jan 2012.....

So are they within their rights to just not renew my contract that that point? Or do I have the right to return to my job?

I'm planning to not say anything until at least the 12 week mark.

Sorry this is such a long post!!!! I would really appreciate any help!

x

Just guessing - but i would say they have a right not to renew - cos they'd stated that was the contract length before you were pregnant. It doesnt seem fair from the employers point of view that they'd HAVE to renew a contract they werent intending to just because you are pregnant.

But its a guess, i dont actually know. - sorry that was a bit pointless

xx

Just guessing - but i would say they have a right not to renew - cos they'd stated that was the contract length before you were pregnant. It doesnt seem fair from the employers point of view that they'd HAVE to renew a contract they werent intending to just because you are pregnant.

But its a guess, i dont actually know. - sorry that was a bit pointless

xx

Thanks l_maclean! :)

That's kind of what I thought too, I was job hunting for months and when this job came up I was delighted....we were TTC but I never thought I'd be so lucky as to fall pregnant so quickly so the two are coinciding!

Never mind, worst case scenario is that I look for a new job in a years time! I just want to enjoy being pregnant, it's a brilliant feeling!!

XX:)

Hi all,
I have been looking into this exact problem and the girls are right with regard to maternity pay etc....

According to directgov you don't have to tell your employers that you are pregnant until 15 weeks before your due date. If you haven't been in the job for 26 weeks at that point then you dont get SMP but you would qualify for MA. You are still entitled to the same amount of maternity leave though.

I was offered a job on 25th November, starting 1st Jan for a one year contract....I found out on 20th Dec that I am pregnant....

I was wondering if anyone could help me though....

My new job is in a school, so I'll finish for the summer holidays about 6weeks before my due date (perfect huh!??)....and then if I take 26 weeks maternity leave, I'll be due to return in January - at which point my contract will have expired.....or be up for renewal....as it runs from 1st Jan 2011 - 1st Jan 2012.....

So are they within their rights to just not renew my contract that that point? Or do I have the right to return to my job?

I'm planning to not say anything until at least the 12 week mark.

Sorry this is such a long post!!!! I would really appreciate any help!

x

I work in a school and i'm due 4 weeks after the end of term. So i'm stuck whether to try and stick it out till 20th july when i'm due 10th august or leave earlier!. I'd say though depending on the reason for your contract they can not renew it. But you get 39weeks paid maternity leave don't you? So if your contract doesn't get renewed i guess you'd still get your 39weeks, even if that runs after the contract ends.

I didn't want to tell my employers till 13 weeks but was getting such bad sickness i had to.

Em91 - sounds like we're in the same kind of position!! And we're due just 3 weeks apart too!! I'm due 30th Aug.

I want to not tell them until at least 12 weeks gone, if not longer, but I suppose it depends on how it goes. I will prob want to make a decision on how much time I take off pretty soon cuz I'm a bit of a control freak!

It would be good to work up to the end of term then have the 6 weeks of summer holiday and start materniity leave from my due date.....but I suppose it's a bit different with you cuz you're due that bit earlier.

How long have you been working there? Can I ask - are you a teacher, support staff or admin? I'm starting as a cover supervisor because I want to go on to retrain and become a teacher - although I think that's going to be a bit delayed now!!

xx

Hi guys

I'm in a dilemma! week before I found out that I was pregnant, I was offered a job.. I don't start till mid Jan 2012 ( il be 10 weeks, fingers crossed!) but I have a introduction meeting with my new manager and colleagues to be tomorrow. Should I tell them I am expecting? or should I wait till after I am 12weeks? or when would be the best time to tell them?

I'm worried they might withdraw the job offer!

And what benefits/ schemes are we entitled to as expectant mothers??

i'd deff wait till your 12 weeks and then tell them. I'm sure they can't withdraw because of it but like the others say if you're on probation they can probably make an excuse. Sorry for stealing your thread above ^

Mouse-i've PM'd you

Last edited:
thought id jump on the band wagon lol if anyone can help me - im currently 8 weeks pregnant working on a tem contract actually covering someones mat leave (must be a prgnancy chair im sat in lol) - i have been offered a permanant contract which im due to sign this week - iv worked there since august do you think i will be entitled to mat pay ? i havent told them about the prgnancey yet and not too sure if legally i have to before i sign ?

if there's no break in your employment then you should be entitled to SMP at least, company pay might be different. SMP you have to work for the same employer for 26weeks prior to 15 weeks before ur due date (week 25) - so basically 1 week before you are pregnant.

Legally you dont have to tell an employer till you are 25weeks. xxx

thats great thanx im gonna keep stum for as long as i can :) x

Help!!!

I received a letter about my dating scan today woohoo (20th Jan)!! however it's on the first week of me starting my new job (16 Jan)!!! oh crap! I duno weather to tell my employer before I start work or once I've started... I really wanted to keep it quiet for as long as poss.. il be approx 10 +5 by then.
I thought u have ur first scan at 12 weeks???

Ladies please advise!! what should I do????

Is there a reason you're having a dating scan?? - like are you unsure of your exact dates? - cos in that case they'd prob want to do it earlier - especiallly if your in an area that offers the nuchal screening as standard. You could always ask if they can change the date?? -

Failing that could you just tell your employer that its a hospital appointment - and maybe just take a little bit of the day off rather than the full day. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back