Just got a new slow cooker

jojo_2012

Reaction score
Can't think of a better place to put this topic sorry.

Just got a 6.5litre slow cooker. Put lamb stew in it for 5hrs on medium does that sound right? I just browned the meat and onions lightly and chucked it in with the stock.

Does anyone have any yummy recipes they could share?

Sounds right hun!! I have lots I totally love my slow fucker!!

Will upload some when I am home on the lappy for you :)

:whistle: Fapatalking :whistle:

I am now going to forever refer to this machine as my slow fucker thank you lynette xx

Im looking at the machine it's hot but it isn't simmering or anything is that normal?

I broke mine out of the box the other day for the first time (wedding present from 5 years ago!)
With ours you cook on high for 8 hours or low for 10-12 xx

Braising steak browned.
Fry onions, add steak. 2tbspn flour and cook gently for a min. Add tbspn tomato paste, 2 tbspn mustard (english), seasoning, beef oxo cube and 500ml bottle of Guinness or stout. Then a splash of hot water. Pour into slow cooker. Add carrots and swede or any root veg you fancy. Cook on high for 3-4 hours then onto medium or low until ready to munch. It should bubble for a while. You could even make this and make it into a hotpot. Simply add thin potato slices (or sweet potato or a mix!) ontop of the stew and pour over melted butter ontop and cook the same way. Make quite a thick layer of potato though.

You can make a really good slow cooked chilli con carne, sausage casseroles, byriani, puddings and even pies! But. Love the stout stew and when the snow hits make some dumplings too :)

I'm hungry now x

Replying so its easy to find for ideas

pickle and poppets mummy taptaptapping

Seriously considering buying one! Do you think if I put it on low for 12 hours while I'm at work and if OH could home a couple of hours before I did it would all be cooked through properly? I'm guessing it would be if it was browned first in a pan

Just said to mum I was gonna buy one now and practice using before goin back to work. Checked Argos. Confused.com.

Using Tapatalk. Can't see tickers.

Seriously considering buying one! Do you think if I put it on low for 12 hours while I'm at work and if OH could home a couple of hours before I did it would all be cooked through properly? I'm guessing it would be if it was browned first in a pan

I don't brown my meat before I put it in.. I chuck all the ingredients in raw go to work for 12.5hrs cook on low and when I come home it's all done and well tasty.. Melts in ur mouth mmmmmmm.. So in answer to ur question yes it'll be cooked thru properly lol xx

I just throw it all in and don't bother with browning meat etc i bought a slow cooker cool book a while ago and it has everything in there from stews to cakes!! Maybe have an experimental afternoon with it :)

Comparing the lamb stew where I fried it lightly first to the beef brisket I just threw in the beef was much more tender it just fell apart. So I dont think I'll fry meat in future.

Onions and leeks on the other hand werent cooked how I liked them so I'll still brown them first.

Put in some chicken with pancetta onion garlic and stock and served it with rice also with onion and garlic in. It was soooooo good :)

Getting one this weekend!!!! Xxxx

I've got the morphy Richards 6.5litre I wanted one big enough to hold a joint. I liked the look of the braise and cook ones too though a bit more expensive but saves you using an extra pan I suppose.

Do I always have to cover the meat entirely in water? Should I try cutting my beef brisket in half to make it cook better without loads of water?

Last edited:
Don't need to cover it. If I'm doing a roast, I just put some water in the bottom, and usually rest the meat on some thick sliced onion, so it's not on the bottom. I believe you can roast dry but I'm not brave enough for that.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I did some chicken thigh's in mine yesterday

Carrot, onion, couple of bay leave's, stock chucked the thighs on top for about 6hrs on high, took thighs out served with jacket spuds and veg, got the stock for soup for the next couple of days :)

I don't normally brown meat just chuck it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back