Food question

Emma58

Reaction score
I have put in the oven a Beef Casserole (one of the ones that you use a packet mix with) - it said to put beef and carrots in a frying pan for three minutes before transferring to casserole dish. I've done that but I just wondered not all of the meat has browned some of it was still red.

Does that matter or should it have all browned off before i put it into the casserole dish.

Sorry if i sound really dopey but I am a bit funny when it comes to cooking meat.

I would usually have browned it all first but it should be ok.
I would leave it a little bit longer in the oven to make sure it's all cooked through! xxx

You should be fine it'll cook itself in the oven anyhow, browning it tends to just be to "seal in" the flavour and juices in the meat.

:D Thanks for the replies I think i'll just cook it a little longer in the oven.

I get so worried when doing meat the last time I did a beef casserole you just put the beef straight in with the veggies.

:think: Think I need to do a cookery course.

Ooooooo, you've done a bish, bash, bosh!

Cookery courses are fab! I made steak in orange and ginger last night :cheer:

Becs said:
Ooooooo, you've done a bish, bash, bosh!

:rotfl: :rotfl: I wasn't as fast as the woman on the ad though!!
You don't see her reading and re reading the instructions like I do!!

leckershell said:
Cookery courses are fab! I made steak in orange and ginger last night :cheer:

I'm definitely going to look into that :think: not sure where in my area would do them but I think when I have had the baby it might be something I could go out and do once a week for a break.

Yep I've decided I am definitely going to do that.
Will have a look at local information and find out some more. My main problem is meat i'm never quite sure whether I have cooked it correctly or for long enough.

i love cooking, my dad taught me when i was really young, used to help him when he was throwing dinner parties.

to brown beef, i wouldnt even leave it 3min, just throw it in a really hot pan for like a few seconds to seal the outside and then put in the casserole.

I really like cooking but I am not very confident.

It's the same with baking I'd love to be able to bake a proper cake from scratch one's like my Nanna used to make instead of spending a fortune buying one.

If you're really worried about checking if meat is cooked properly, you can by food thermometres, they're not very expensive and I know Wilkos do a small one. But also if you're checking yourself, put a knife in the middle and if it's boiling hot then its done. I really recommend a cookery course, I done GCSE food tech and also an NVQ at college and it was brilliant, you learn so much and generally have fun!

Emma58 said:
I really like cooking but I am not very confident.

It's the same with baking I'd love to be able to bake a proper cake from scratch one's like my Nanna used to make instead of spending a fortune buying one.

Im really confident (she says now doubting herself lol) with baking...i love it but cooking is a very scary thing for me too lol....think me and OH are gonna buy a cook book and see how we get on lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back