Just found out I am pregnant and have a few questions

Katkin72

Reaction score
Hi, I've only just found out this morning I am 2 weeks pregnant - its not really sunk in yet lol.
I have a couple of questions as this is my 1st pregnancy and everything is new for me!

Is it normal to have cramping a bit like period pains and very slight blood spotting in my CM?

Also, when should I contact my GP surgery to let them know I am pregnant?

I'm sure I will have hundreds more questions over the next few weeks and months lol.

Thanks in advance for any advice xx

Ooh, and another question lol - is it normal to have an unquenchable thirst when you are pregnant? I can't drink enough water as I have been constantly thirsty all day today!

Hi katrin
Cramping is very normal.
Light spotting is quite common especially around the time that you would have been due af but personally I would get any bleeding just checked out.
You can ring your docs straight away and ask their procedure as it varies from place to place - some you just get referred straight to midwife.
Yes being thirsty isn't unusual either I have had that on and off.
Ask away as that's what we ate here for!
Oh and you say you are 2 weeks but docs will calculate it from the first day of your last period so you are probably around 4 weeks x

Hi Katrin,

Congratulations!

Yes all the things you describe are normal, I agree you should get all spotting/bleeding checked out but it is likely to be implantation spotting as your little bean snuggles in.

Cramping is very common, I had it a lot throughout the first trimester as my uterus grew on size. If its ever really very painful with bleeding then you'll need to contact your Dr.

Ask away on the question front everyone here is very supportive.

Wishing you a happy healthy nine months xxx

Thanks for yor replies jodied and FirstBabyEek :)

How long does it take for the realisation to sink in that you're going to be a mummy??! I'm really excited but kind of in denial too lol. I guess I'm scared to get too excited as its so early atm. I guess reality will sink in once I have my 1st scan and I know it's definate lol :)

Before I got my positive test I had been complaining for several days that my boobs were sore, now I know why! Also, I am totally obsessed with checking them as they seem to be getting bigger already - think I'm mre excited about that than anything else hehe.

Hi hun,

Congratulations!

I had really bad AF like type pains for a few days before I tested (I didn't test until 15dpo - so this was at 13/14dpo)

I didn't have any bleeding at all though.

I would make an appointment with your GP - they'll do their preliminary assessment (just genereal health check) and refer you to the MW.

I would mention the bleeding, although it's still too early for a scan. They may offer you some blood tests.

Also they will count from LMP so you'll be 4 weeks pregnant and not 2!

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks Carnat - I'm going to ring my GP surgery for an appt next week :) how soon do you get a MW appt? Xxx

8 weeks for MW booking appt.

and the thirst thing- I was the same n now my li boy is 4 mnths, omg. Preg forum has been a god send xx

Thanks for your reply GregorysGirl - it's good to know other women have had the same symptoms :) xxx

Congrats! Definitely get in touch with the docs, I had to see my gp first who gave me a quick check over and referred me to meet the midwife at 8 weeks, she also booked my 12 wek scan there and then :)

Good luck with everything, make sure you tell your docs anything you're worried about they can put your mind at ease. I don't think the realisation that I'm going to be a mummy hit me till my first scan.. And every week the feeling gets a bit stronger :)

Thanks navylouise - does the GP do an internal check too? My GP is male and not sure I feel comfortable with him rooting around lol. :shock:

Well, cramping and spotting has pretty much eased up now thank goodness - just feel very bloated and full now!

No I doubt your GP will do an internal, mine just said congratulations and referred me to the midwife who I saw at 9 weeks.

Start taking some folic acid as soon as you can. An all in one pregnancy vitamin would be better but folic acid is a must.

I don't think it ever really sinks in, I still have 'oh my!' moments now.

Good luck honey xx

No I doubt your GP will do an internal, mine just said congratulations and referred me to the midwife who I saw at 9 weeks.

Start taking some folic acid as soon as you can. An all in one pregnancy vitamin would be better but folic acid is a must.

I don't think it ever really sinks in, I still have 'oh my!' moments now.

Good luck honey xx

Phew, thats a relief lol :shock:
I started taking folic acid in January to prepare for getting pregnant, and at the weekend I bought some pregnacare plus omega 3 tablets so hopefully that will help with a healthy pregnancy :) Wow, there is sooooo much to learn lol xxx

The thirst thing is normal - make sure you drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. Even if you can't eat much, MW always say as long as you can manage to drink thats the main thing. That way you are protecting yourself from UTI's, it helps with labour and keeps you in good shape x

The GP definitely shouldn't do an internal check! Mine just told me my due date based on my last missed period, took my blood pressure and weight and that was that :)

Good luck with it all :) we're all in the same boat just at various different stages so there's always someone going through the same things as you on here!

Thanks for your replies babyem and NavyLouise :)

Not feeling very positive today - have been having some AF type pains and am terrified every time I go to the loo that I will have started bleeding :-( think I have convinced myself something is going to go wrong - I am sooooo worried which I'm sure isn't doing me or the baby any good! I have an appt with my GP Friday morning but have also bought some more pregnancy tests to do before then to check I'm still pregnant!

Af pains are all normal. And so is knicker watch lol. I lost count the amount of times I convinced myself I had started bleeding and had to check xxx

Me too, this pregnancy I've had bad AF pain and backache, enough to convince me something is going down. My friends has had the exact same thing and she's now 12 weeks pregnant. I wouldn't worry too much it is normal to have a few ache's and pains xxxx

I had severe cramping too but didnt know I was pregnant. It was like the worst AF type pain I'd known. Keep drinking loads and your doing right with the vits. The GP will sort out your referral to the MW and they arrange the rest for you.

Congratulations and wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back