1st GP appointment since I found out I am pregnant

Katkin72

Reaction score
I found out I was pregnant a week ago and I have my 1st appt with my doctor in the morning. Don't know why but I am getting really nervous lol. I don't know what to expect though it probably won't be much other than a blood & urine test?? My friend gave me a urine sample pot the other day as she said they would want to test my FMU....... :)
Think I'm scared the GP is going to tell me it's all in my head and actually I'm not pregnant atall :shock:

My GP didn't do anything really - just made a note on my records, referred me for my booking appointment and had a very small chat with me. It was quite disappointing really :D

My doctor grinned at me (he knew how long and hard we'd been trying), checked my medication and altered some, and told me to ring the Midwife to book in. I had a urine test teh next day when I went for our first fertility clinic appointment, and obviously they wanted to check before discharging me from their care without even seeing me

As you are 5 weeks I doubt the GP will do bloods just yet?? They will probably do a referral to the MW's who will see you at aroud 10 weeks and they will do your bloods etc. This is how it works in my area anyway. Good luck :)

Thanks ladies, I'll update this thread later once I've seen the doc :)

I think I will start my pregnancy journal this evening - I've been too scared to start it in case I jinx my pregnancy lol. But, as I haven't had any more spotting for quite a few days and I've googled the crap out of 'reasons for abdominal pains' and have kind of reassured myself it is perfectly normal (plus all the advice from you lovely ladies on PF), I think I'll take a chance and start to record my journey. Eeeekkkkkk - even that's an exciting prospect lol. :)

Just got back from the surgery - my GP is really lovely, he shook my hand and said congratulations when I told him I was pregnant :) He took my blood pressure, checked my heartbeat and felt my stomach to check I wasn't at risk of an ectopic pregnancy (I had told him about the sharp pains I have been getting). He then said the surgery would pass my details onto the midwife team and someone would contact main due course. Neither the GP or the receptionist knew how long that could take so I'm guessing not for quite a few weeks yet. Oohh, starting to get a little bit more excited now - is that allowed??!! Lol xxx

well done you!

course its allowed!

i got a stand in doc for my appt and it was shit, i got a leaflet printed "trying to get pregnant" lol so that was a bit pointless but he did refer me for my booking.. and take my LMP that was about it!

go right now and start a journal! make the most of it ;) xxxx

well done you!

course its allowed!

i got a stand in doc for my appt and it was shit, i got a leaflet printed "trying to get pregnant" lol so that was a bit pointless but he did refer me for my booking.. and take my LMP that was about it!

Aww sorry to hear your appt was shit russellmuscle :-(
I was really lucky my GP was so lovely and made me feel special and excited about my pregnancy - something I've not dared to do yet lol. I know it's still very early days but I'm going to concentrate on being positive from now on rather than expect the worst! Feel free to slap me if I start stressing lol.
Well, better get my arse into gear and go to work before they start wondering if im going to bother showing up atall today! Will start my journal this evening :)

well done you!

course its allowed!

Aww sorry to hear your appt was shit russellmuscle :-(
I was really lucky my GP was so lovely and made me feel special and excited about my pregnancy - something I've not dared to do yet lol. I know it's still very early days but I'm going to concentrate on being positive from now on rather than expect the worst! Feel free to slap me if I start stressing lol.
Well, better get my arse into gear and go to work before they start wondering if im going to bother showing up atall today! Will start my journal this evening :)

good! you should be excited!

I didnt start getting excited till I got my 8 week scan and saw everything was fine then my 12 week was much better again! I take days off on days I go to the docs lol, I find that either good or bad(not that ive had any bad news yet) puts me off my work lol! so be sure to take a holiday when its your scan as you wont be thinking about anything else.

i thought in all honesty my first scan (12w) flew in - and even then I got mine at when I thought was 13w so just relax and be quietly excited lol jk!

my doctor just said congrats, gave me a hug and refferd me to the midwife lol

my doctor said congrats told me to stop my pills (i was taking weight loss pills) and told me to book with a midwife i was disappointed i was told she would do my urine and blood tests but she didnt and told me they will do it at my 12 week scan , i went when i was 11+1 by my date and they said i was 2 days out so i was 10+6 and was told they will do it at my 13 week scan which is next monday, im having a shitty pregnancy at the moment with common cold and pure tiredness but nothing i can do just hope it will pass in the next couple of weeks this is my first pregnancy and im over the moon been trying for 5years and it finally happened naturally :D

You have a lovely doc.
Mine just went over my meds - made sure I'd stopped all athritus and migraine meds, did BP and said Heartrate a bit high and booked me into the midwife a week later for pee test and re-test of BP.
Proper booking in appointment wasn't until 8 weeks tho :)

I never saw my GP, we just get a referral straight to the MW in our trust.

Glad all went well!! x

I'm glad you had such a Lovely appointment xxx

Thank you ladies :) xxx

Pinkladylouise - I'm sorry you're having a shitty time at the moment, I hope you start to feel much better soon xxx

Thats fab! Congrats and I'm glad you had a good appointment! My first with GP was awful, she spent 20 mins telling me about the likelihood of miscarriage and that because I'm young and healthy it wouldn't matter anyway as I'd probably get pregnant again quickly - I burst into teers as soon as I left!

Luckily I moved docs just after and now have a lovely GP! :)
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, don't be scared to start that journal!! :D

Last edited:
Thats fab! Congrats and I'm glad you had a good appointment! My first with GP was awful, she spent 20 mins telling me about the likelihood of miscarriage and that because I'm young and healthy it wouldn't matter anyway as I'd probably get pregnant again quickly - I burst into teers as soon as I left!

Luckily I moved docs just after and now have a lovely GP! :)
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy, don't be scared to start that journal!! :D

Oh my god NavyLouise, what an insensitive GP - I think I would have put in a complaint! I'm so glad your new GP is lovely :) Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back