IVF ICSI girls...

mrspc

Reaction score
Hi girls, sorry to be a pain but I'm driving myself mad going round in circles in google! I want to know if I will have to pay for my IVF and where I should have it. I can choose between two big hospitals- how would I make that decision? I can't find any info about how long waiting lists are or how many rounds I would be entitled to!

How long did you wait? Are you NHS? How many rounds are you entitled to on NHS? Any anecdotes/ links would be really helpful.

Thanks so much lovelies xxx

Which Primary Care Trust are you under? Where do you live?

Near Wigan. I can choose between Liverpool and Manchester x

Waiting lists and amount of fresh cycles you are entitled to vary by postcode/area, for us we are only entitled to 1 fresh cycle and 2 FET even though other boroughs in SE London are entitled to 2 fresh cycles :(
We hardly had any waiting list, infact there wasn't really one at all. We were told in mid February we needed ICSI as my husband has a low count, within about 10-14 days we had a letter inviting us to an information evening, our appointment with the IVF consultant and a copy of the letter from our PCT confirming they agreed funding. 7th Match we attended the information evening, 26th March was our appointment and we could have started from my next cycle if we wished.

What area do you live? there maybe someone who can advice

Ok, so assuming your PCT is ALW, then you are entitled to 2 free cycles as long as you have a BMI of 19-29 :)

Here is a list of the ALW guidelines:
http://www.alwpct.nhs.uk/images/uploads/AC_Eligibility_criteria_ALW_jun_final_2011_NEW.pdf

I just went to the pct website and searched "assisted fertility" and followed the links.

As for which hospital to use, I'd go and see them both and just figure out which one feels better. Your treatment should be pretty straight forward and success rates can be misleading.

Typically, the more cycles provided by your PCT, the longer the waiting list. I waited about 6 months from diagnosis but only get 1 cycle. I've heard of girls waiting 18 months in a 3 cycle area.

Your fertility consultant should be able to provide more info on the wait xx

I visited the clinics we had on our list it have us a good idea of the people there and my gut feeling about the place. Ask other girls in your area who have had treatment about waiting times and treatment as well.
Good luck hon

Gizzy xxx

Thanks so much girls, I feel a bit better now.

Thanks again, Lou! Where we are falls between ALW PCT and Central Lancs PCT on the map so I'll have to check with GP which one we are. I looked at Central Lancs document and that says 2 cycles too and same criteria so it doesn't really make a difference either way from that pov. We've just got to wait for second SA before referral and feel a bit annoyed cos just want to get going now!

It's just outrageous how things can vary so much from place to place in such a small country.

So once I get to the fertility clinic, I will still have a choice of IVF clinics? I was under the impression from our GP (who, as you know knows less than I do) that I had to choose a route at referral. Go to one clinic and the IVF will be at Liverpool, go to the other and it's Manchester. Does that sound right?

xx

It feels like forever ago, but I recall being referred from my GP to a fertility consultant and the local hospital (who could have done our IVF) but at the point where we had been diagnosed as definitely needing IVF we expressed a desire to go to a clinic in a different PCT and then as the funding was being confirmed we were referred to our chosen clinic.

Contact your PCT and ask which clinics they will be willing to refer to as the might be a leading one quite close that you haven't realised is available to you.

For example, I know that there is a CARE clinic in Manchester and CARE are a very reputable company and accept Nhs patients... If you can go to Manchester hospital then surely you could go to CARE Manchester too. There might be similar clinics too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back