Item lost in post - who's responsible?

Minime

Reaction score
I bought something on ebay and they charged £4.95 postage, insurance was not offered. Its a company not an individual by the way. Its been about 2 weeks and there's no sign of it and the place just sent me a message saying I've got to go the local sorting office as it might be there. I havent been out in the mornings for about a fortnight and know I havent missed any post plus my postie knows me and if I have a parcel he knocks and waves when he sees me. I've had everything else I've ordered delivered no problem. I'm up at 6am every day so never miss the postie!

Anyway they said I have to fill in some claim form with royal mail :?

They KNOW I'm moving tommorow and I thought it was the sellers responsibility to claim with royal mail as they would have a minimum of proof of postage surely?

I just asked them when exactly am I supposed to get time to do this and they have not given me any proof that its been posted either.

We have just had this problem too. We were the sellers and it was only for a small 99p item but they said they hadn't received it so we refunded them! I would have thought it would be down to the seller too to be honest.
If you have no luck and end up having to claim yourself, I have some claim forms here (Kev works for Royal Mail) if you would like me to pop one in the post to you :hug:

They're saying they have to be filled in by the customer but not until 15 days after the post date. I didn't think it was down to a buyer to be hassling with stuff like that as its the company who should reimburse me via paypal then they make the claim against royal mail, I'm nothing to do with it.

I've had one other item not arrive in the 7 years I've been on ebay and I never had this hassle with that seller, they just resent the goods and they made the claim with royal mail themselves. :?

I agree with you! Unless they have said they won't be responsible for lost items. It makes sense for the seller to claim as like you said, they know how much exactly to claim for etc.

Ebay drives me mad sometimes :wall:

Did you pay by PayPal? If you did, it doesn't matter how the seller sent it, it's in their policy that it's the seller's responsibility to show it's been delivered. This means sending it trackable (i.e. recorded/special/courier). Even if it says in the auction they won't take responsibility if an item goes missing, tough. The seller is responsible for getting it to you.

With royal mail it's the customer who has to claim for items lost. It's the seller who used the mail service = they are the customer (not you) and they should claim. RM won't deal with a claim until 15 days have elapsed.

I would file as item not received with ebay and PayPal. Regardless of the 15 days RM require, the seller should refund you. As they don't have proof it's been delivered PayPal will almost definitely refund your money if the seller doesn't first.

his is a snippet of what they are saying to me...

"The Royal Mail will not claim any parcel as 'lost' until 15 working days from the date of collection. Therefore if the parcel arrives in the meantime please let me know, as I will have to notify the Royal Mail so that they can close the investigation into your parcel.
If the parcel does not arrive AFTER 15 WORKING DAYS please print out and return the enclosed form.This form is needed to complete the final stages of the Royal Mail investigation. On the return of the form we will happily send you replacements or a refund."

AND

"We have sent the goods and we can not clam for any missing post untill 15 working days from when the goods where sent. These forms have to be filled in by the customer but not until after the 15 working days. Which we still have a few more days. This goods should be with you soon. once the goods have left us the delvery process is out of our hands it is now with the Royal Mail."

Yes I did pay by paypal on 3rd November. Their auction says delivery is up to 5 working days. I'm moving house tomorrow and bought it thinking there would be plenty of time! I bought things after that from other sellers which have all arrived no problem.

You can have your mail forwarded to the new address so if it doesn turn up late that shouldn't be an issue.

However, I agree with the others. The vendor is RM's customer and not you. They should take it up with RM. I'd notify paypal and take it from there.......

Good luck....

Yes I'm on redirection so that shouldnt be a problem. I just cant understand why they want me filling in forms & printing stuff out :? (My printer is packed away *somewhere*!!)

Ignore what they've written and file item not received now as it's been more than 10 days. :hug:

I pointed out to seller they were the customer of royal mail not me and they want my signature on something, errrrr no! Identity theft r us lol!
Have filed a dispute :)

i havent received my floral gums i bought as a birthday present to myself i ordered from aquarterof.co.uk on 27 october!!! :shock:

i'v used this site SOOOOOOOOOOOOO many times and NEVER had a problem with them before. i am awaiting my second email response (my first email was replied next day with allow royal mail 15 working days to class an item as "lost" and it had only been about 11 working days :roll: ) i'm pretty pissed off! mainly coz i neeeeeeeeed those sweets right now! :lol:

i have reccently done a paypal dispute . i bought something never sent nevernreplied to emails,ther is an otion for not recieved

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Currish
Back