Itchy feet when pregnant?

skatty

Reaction score
The last few nights I have had the most itchy feet and also my palms to some extent. The midwife sent me for blood tests to rule out anything more serious with my liver and they were fine. I came back and went on the net and apparantley this effects 2 thirds of pregnant women :shock: I have read loads since my pregnancy and have never heard of it. Has anyone else had it? Does it wear off after a few days and does anyone have any tips to relieve the itching as it even wakes me up!

princess nic had itchy feet skatty. PM her and ask her about it. im sure she went to hospital about it too.

Nic did go to hopsital but she was fine, had bloods etc and had nothing wrong.
I had really itchy skin near the end with Damien, I think it was just me being alergic to pregnancy :lol:

Its not as bad now but still driving me mad :wall:

So happy for you Sami, I hope you have a great pregnancy, are you hoping fpor a little sis for Damien?

budge said:
and here you are doing it again :lol: :roll:

I know!! :rotfl:

Skatty, I don't mind really, but I have symptoms already which tie in with pregnancy, and I didn't get anything with Damien till I was 5 weeks. DF thinks a girl and the last week or so all I have dreamt about is having a girl so it could be. Find out in 16 weeks :cheer:

Hi

I take it from your post that the itch is worse at night but better in the day, if so It does sound abit like obstetric cholestasis (which I suspect is what your midwife tested you for).

If the itch persists please ask your midwife for another test (as it can sometimes take awhile to show up) in the mean time check out this sticky theres some more info and a few other girls (including me) that have had it too.

xSuzx

hi yeah i had itchy feet and hands they did all the blood tests on my liver and stuff but it came back all clear the mw said some pregnant people are just itchy ones lol.. it never woke me up tho! so if it is i would tell yuor midwife....
what i found that helps is e45 bath soak it stops the itchiness and aslo try not to start itching it cos then you won't stop. hope that helps

11 days til i'm due :dance: :dance: :dance:

Thank you xSuzx that info is really good but also really scary! I will keep an eye on it but it does sound like it could be serious. I am sitting here now and my feet are driving me mad!

I have taken an antihisatmine that is ok in pregnancy so I'll see if it helps.My midwife told me that I would be rung the same day (yesterday) if my bloods came back positive and they'd have me back in for tests on Monday but I didn't have a call. I am a bit worried because it only started the night before I saw her so maybe it hasn't shown up yet.

Princess Nic, how long did your itchiness last?

xsuzx Sorry I just read through the thread again and saw that when you were pregnant with Lily theyn tested you and the blood was within the normal range because you were not itching at that point. I also wssn't itching so much at the point of the test, do you think it could cause an inaccurate negative?

xsuzx Sorry I just read through the thread again and saw that when you were pregnant with Lily theyn tested you and the blood was within the normal range because you were not itching at that point. I also wssn't itching so much at the point of the test, do you think it could cause an inaccurate negative?

I'm not a medical expert but I know that bile acid levels(what they test for) can fluctuate in your body normally, and since they are what causes the itching (when they get too high) I suspect they'd be lower if you weren't itching then if you you were, if that makes sense.

But try not to worry too much as since your itching so early in your 3rd trimester if it is OC then it will show up before it becomes a real concern for the baby( even then there is medication that will help)

If I were you I'd try not to take the antihistamine (sounds cruel I know) but the antihistamine only stops the itching and not the cause. so it'd be hard to judge if it was getting worse or better which is crusual (sp) if you think you could possibly have OC.

Also when your midwife tested you do you know if they were tests for your Bile Acids or just LFT's (Liver function tests)

Really try not to worry I don't mean to scare you, just want you to have the infomation you need.
If you want to chat or ask anything you can PM me anytime.

xSuzx

I've had another awful night! The itching is intense and is starting to spread to my hands, I'm starting to worry :(

It starts wearing off in the day too, I am still a bit itchy but nothing like last night.

They took two vials of my blood so I am presuming hat they did both tests.

Thanks for your help xSuzx, you are not scaring me but informing me which is just what I need. I didn't realise about this OC and the onkly reason I mentioned it to the midwife is that I just happened to have an appointment with her Friday morning. My blood and urine were fine, do you know if they'd have been effected?

Thanks for you support :hug:

skatty phone the hospital. i think you need to get checked over. Sometimes these things become worse when you're worrying about it. Maybe if you're checked out and given all clear you will feel better and stop itching a little. If that makes sense. :hug: :hug:

Thanks Budge :hug:

My DH is at work and I told him I'll see how things are tonight and then if its bad I want to see the doc or go to the hospital tomorrow. I have been reading more about the OC and it says it can take a while before the blood tests show any results so as long as I itch for I will insist on having blood tests!

I have felt so well in my pregnancy up until now (excludng the first tri) and have even been getting 9 hours sleep every night, I might of known this wouldn't last :lol:

you haven't changed your washing powder or washing up liquid or anything have you?

just a thought

No I haven't changed a thing and I only use fragrance free products. I haven't worn socks all summer and wear sandals and flip flops. Its really wierd because they are not too bad again now! I just dread tonight :(

hi sorry for the late reply, i still itch now but not as much, i don't think i'm as itchy at you. have you been checked out?

10 days to go :dance: :dance: :dance:

Hi Nic, I had tests on Friday and am presuming they are ok because I haven't been rung but xsuzx was saying that the bile in the blood can take a while to show up. I have spent the afternoon with my feet in a bowl of cold water as they have stayed itchy all day but they tend to be worst at night and my hands are playing up too now. Last night was awful. I will call the midwife tomorrow and tell her its got worst. I'm glad you are ok and how exciting you will have your baby soon :D

see that's where i think we are different i had itchy feet and hands but it was more like ezcema than anything else

Is the itching on your palms off your hands or the backs?
mine were the backs but the midwife said to me the palms could mean something wrong with your liver?

i would just ring your midwife tomorrow cos it sounds completley different from my itching lol

i know 10 days left now i can't wait :dance: :dance: :dance:
you haven't got that long left really either :hug: :hug: :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back