isit true?

confuzed 88

Reaction score
My mother in law is freaking mean, me and sil were having a convo about what would happen if my baby comes early like in next 2-3weeks, mil decides to tell me that 8month baby cannot survive being born but a 7month fetus can...that upset me and got me thinking as usual...isit true?? i hope it isnt

I thought that the more time that went on the better the chances of survival are. I don't think that a 7 month fetus would survive but an 8 month old one wouldn't. Ask your midwife if you need reassurance but I think your mil has got it wrong. Try not to worry please hon.

All babies have a good chance of surviving if born past 28 weeks (and some as early as 24 weeks) and their chances get better the further along you are. Ella was born at just before 36 weeks (8 months) and is perfectly healthy xx

Found this online, hope it helps:

well since i been doing research on fetuses, my girlfriend is pregnant i believe that a 7 month old fetus can survive preterm birth because of development, so does the 8 month old fetus, but i believe the 8 month old fetus can't survive because it was almost born, i guess.
Personally, I haven't heard of this, and can't find it in any of the medical textbooks I have.

An 8 month fetus has more chance of survival than a 7 month old fetus because it is more developed. The weeks just before full term birth, the baby is working on lung development. Neither than 7 month old nor the 8 month old has full lung capacity development... and actually the 7 month old hasn't even started much on this one.

It really depends on any other complications that arise. If the 8 month fetus has more complications, say because of genetics or trauma besides the pre-term delivery, it would have a lesser chance of survival compared to a 7 month fetus that has little or no complications, either genetics or trauma. Both fetus are at risk for pre-mature illnesses and the normal complications that stem from being delivered early.

In either case, medical technology has advanced quite far in these times. Both fetus have a chance for survival with various treatments, medications, machines, and procedures, depending on the needs of the preemie and the stage of development, as well as post-partum circumstances that arise. It is still true, however, that the further along you can carry the baby, the better chance of survival it has because it has been able to be more developed. This is why, if you are too early, and you have true labor pains, the doctor will give you medication to stop the labor and thus give the baby more time to develop in utero.

Personally, I think it's a case of your MIL spouting the "fact" without actually bothering to check they're correct. Ignore her I say :)

Your mil is talking poo

Haha couldn't put it better my self ha,

Take no notice, every week ur baby is inside it gets stronger n stronger at 37 weeks ur baby is classed as full term n perfectly healthy, x

What a bitch!

Absolute rubbish hun! Xx

Brooke wasa born at 33wk + 4 days and she was born very healthy!! :)

i know its such a wind up, me n sil cant have a convo without her putting her 2pence worth of nonsense in, arghhh why are they so relentless at winding their DIL up erghhhh

Utter rubbish! She's talking out of her arse. Older is obviously not wiser this time eh?
Just ignore her. The closer a baby is to full term, the better their chance if survival.

Sunnyb xxx

Iv got 2 friends that gave birth to perfectly healthy babies at 36 weeks your mother in law for some strange reason is trying to scare you and talking nonsense!! why anyone would say such a thing to a pregnant woman is beyond me but I suppose some ppl just like to be cruel. Dont worry hun x

oh they do... she thinks she knows best..its so irritating! i thought the same that closer to term theyre born the better chance of being healthy etc...i mean she even says being active has no benefit to the pregnancy and labour :S
and shes had 4kids!! honestly i just sat there in amazement at the rubbish i was hearing! i always heard being active was good during pregnancy, and it defo has benefited me in terms of moving around and the amount of weight ive put on etc

I was born at 28 weeks and this was in 1983 so I'm guessing with technology advancing these days u got a bloody good chance being born from 7 + months xx

My MIL said something like that to me when i was your stage too. She said the baby would have more chance being born at 35 week than 36... i think its a load of crap. The midwife said to me after 30 weeks the baby has a massive chance of surviving. Look at them twins born at 21 week was it? they survived. xxx

next time she does something like this pass her a nappy and say stick that under your chin and when she asks why tell her its to catch the verbal diarrhea that keeps coming out of her mouth

next time she does something like this pass her a nappy and say stick that under your chin and when she asks why tell her its to catch the verbal diarrhea that keeps coming out of her mouth

Hahaha lol stupid mil! Hehe

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back