Is this within my rights?

I don't think Joanne is just looking for the answer she wants to hear, I think she is looking for honest support. You are of course entitled to your opinion but the important part of this forum is support.

It's really not supportive to give bad advice leesey. you definitely need to get out more

I have to add that i was within my rights to refuse personal care to a service user with Hep B, so i'm assuming that if Joanne's service user was not left alone and supported by a member of radiography staff then Joanne had it covered, and you are well within your rights within all reason to put your own safety first, regardless of a service user, ie if there was a fire and a service user cannt be moved you leave them.

You shouldn't have been threatened with disciplinary action , but in defense of an employer , do they know your status ie ttc , poss PG?? If not then it's your responsibility to keep them informed or if the do then in your defence they should have assigned someone else to assist ,

Try not to worry about it now though hunny , you did what was right for you x x x x

Really.. If you are pregnant it is just a ball of cells if you are less than 4 weeks. Have you ever heard of anyone saying that their baby was affected by an xray they had when it was too early to test for pregnancy? If it was dangerous and you work in an environment with healthcase professionals, there is no way they would let you go near an xray machine if you've mentioned you suspect you are pregnant. And if you do suspect then test and then you know either way. If it is too early to test then you should just do your job as you have a responsibility to your patient.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with what you said, I've been in this industry fir 10years and think I am a very good worker and have been told on many occasions that I go above and beyond for my service users. But I don't think it's worth the risk at all. I remember last year I wAs stabbed at work and was tOld to always put my health first because my job is exactly that and even though my client was not consious at the time I know she would have not wanted me to go in if it were to risk. I believe a life Is a life and if I am pregnant I would quite like to keep it that way. I sold never exPect anyone to go in with me if they thought they were pregnant - I
couldn't live with myself

I'm just saying that you should talk to work in advance rather than just refusing and then saying that they they are in the wrong for threatening to discipline you for not doing your job. You asked if you are within your rights and I don't think you are within your rights to just refuse without meeting with your employer first. Perhaps I should have just said you are as that is obviously what you want to hear, but you asked a question and I simply gave you my opinion. I think you are being unfair on your employer and your patient to if you are refusing to do your job without a discussion first.

It's not fair to have to explain to your management that you are TTC though, surely? You could be trying for ages, or it could change their view of you and cause all sorts of complications.
Being exposed to radiation, pregnant or not, is a personal choice. If the hospital had support staff willing to help the patient then no-one is losing out and so imo it really doesn't matter.

oooo yes i agree there sorry , yes you dont lawfully have to tell them about ttc or PG do you ? so Joanne was right and totally within her rights , some employers do get funny and change opinion, promotions etc if they know this stuff , i retract what i said about the employer x x

It's really not supportive to give bad advice leesey. you definitely need to get out more

I'm sorry but this is not a fair comment, and this kind of negativity is against forum rules.

Im sorry. Didn't Jean to open this can of worms :(

I do believe u was right though and well within my personal choice. The hospital staff were very helpful and didn't mind sink dOnt see why the management should have. I'm going to stand my ground.

I think you are 100% correct to avoid radiation if you suspect you are pregnant. A job is just a job at the end of the day x

I have to add that i was within my rights to refuse personal care to a service user with Hep B, so i'm assuming that if Joanne's service user was not left alone and supported by a member of radiography staff then Joanne had it covered, and you are well within your rights within all reason to put your own safety first, regardless of a service user, ie if there was a fire and a service user cannt be moved you leave them.

You shouldn't have been threatened with disciplinary action , but in defense of an employer , do they know your status ie ttc , poss PG?? If not then it's your responsibility to keep them informed or if the do then in your defence they should have assigned someone else to assist ,

Try not to worry about it now though hunny , you did what was right for you x x x x

Because I deal With physically abusive service users I told them straight away and they knew my situation.

Hun if they know your situation in your line of work they should have something in their health and safety policy. As this situation is female related (meaning men can't refuse to do something for fear of being pregnant) it may also be classed as sexual discrimination - no I am not kidding! when you are pregnant they cannot use anything pregnancy related against you as it is sexual discrimination so I can't see this being any different as they know your situation. Seriously phone acas and see where you stand should your company try to take this any further.

Also take no notice of Emily - this forum is not about making people feel bad or playing devils advocate, if she wants to make people feel bad or put them down she can bugger of to another forum x

Try to keep things pleasant girls, there should be no reason to turn things nasty x

I do think you are well within your rights hun and I wish you luck :)

i put in a formal complaint. the head of the company is a retired nurse and was appalled when i told her, but i made a formal complaint and said i dont expect it to be overlooked. i think it was unfair. (especially the - if you lost it you wouldn't know anyway and its not like you can miss what you never had - comment)
i refuse to be made to feel like i'm a bad person/selfish person. its just a job and i dont see why i should possibly put a life at risk for the sake of holding someone's hand while they're not conscious anyway.

Hi hun I dont blame you for refusing to go in.
a good few years ago i had to have an xray for problems with my hips...they asked me about my menstrual cycle and I was yet to have my AF and they were actually refusing to give me the xray incase i was pregnant....it was only when I said "but surely i have to have had sex to be pregnant" they let me have it lol but it took alot of persuasion so they are really strict on it! so I dont blame them for saying you couldnt go in. technically they made the decision for you, so the onus is off you.

I would definately not go in an xray if i had even a 1% chance of being pregnant! I mean you see the xray technicians stood behind what can only be described as bullet proof glass, so they know what exposure to radiation can do..imagine the impact it can have on a baby!!

So in conclusion (coz iv written an essay i think)....i totally agree with your choice...you and your babies health is far more important than a patient having an xray, who can very easily hold someone elses hand

Good for you hun!!! xxxxx

TTCing, preggers, or not, no one should need to put up with x-ray(!) as part of their work. There are plently of evidence that x-ray may cause cancer (chromosomal damage). I'm stunned!

Professionals are never around the x-ray unless well protected.

Last edited:
I agree Sandy...hense why xray technicians stand behind the bullet proof glass lol theyr not risking their health are they so why should anyone else be expected to do it whatever their job xx

Really.. If you are pregnant it is just a ball of cells if you are less than 4 weeks. Have you ever heard of anyone saying that their baby was affected by an xray they had when it was too early to test for pregnancy? If it was dangerous and you work in an environment with healthcase professionals, there is no way they would let you go near an xray machine if you've mentioned you suspect you are pregnant. And if you do suspect then test and then you know either way. If it is too early to test then you should just do your job as you have a responsibility to your patient.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with what you said, I've been in this industry fir 10years and think I am a very good worker and have been told on many occasions that I go above and beyond for my service users. But I don't think it's worth the risk at all. I remember last year I wAs stabbed at work and was tOld to always put my health first because my job is exactly that and even though my client was not consious at the time I know she would have not wanted me to go in if it were to risk. I believe a life Is a life and if I am pregnant I would quite like to keep it that way. I sold never exPect anyone to go in with me if they thought they were pregnant - I couldn't live with myself

I believe you were well within your rights to refuse. And as 'staff' myself would have done the same if I was in your position.
The hospital staff asked and informed you they wouldn't let you in as there was a possible chance. Yes, you do have a duty of care to your service user's but you have to look after yourself FIRST. Your company are in the wrong. Its not about 'escaping/skiving' on the job.
Stand your ground hun, your well within your rights to protect yourself and your health. x

TTCing, preggers, or not, no one should need to put up with x-ray(!) as part of their work. There are plently of evidence that x-ray may cause cancer (chromosomal damage). I'm stunned!

Professionals are never around the x-ray unless well protected.

people have done it with this lady before because she can get VERY distressed, but tbh she wasnt even conscious enough to know if anyone was there and was fine on her own

tbh hun i wouldnt let it spoil your weekend....i dont see that your employers have a leg to stand on really as anyone in their right mind would put their own health and safety before someone elses.

Im really keeping my FX for you hun that you get your BFP hun xxxx

fact...they wont let you have x rays on your stomach or be exposed to prolonged radiation if you suspect you might be preg.
they say dental x rays are ok cos its a v small amount and only on your teeth.

im a support worker and i agree that you did the right thing, if they had asked you before hand then they could have sent another worker who was able to do that and as you said the hospital have staff to do that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back