Is this normal after giving birth

Emma58

Reaction score
I only gave birth 2 days ago but today i have passed a couple of clots on my sanitary towel :oops: I keep reading about contacting your midwife if this happens but i'm not sure if it is normal to experience clots or not.

They weren't massive (about the size of a grape I would think) and I have read my hospital notes and they have put the placenta appeared to be in tact after labour.

My Midwife is calling tomorrow should I call her before or just wait for her to visit? Am I panicking over nothing?

Thanks in advance

I think if they are any bigger than a 50p you need to contact your midwife, probably nothing to worry over although if it is concerning you call them, even if its late call labour ward and ask, sure they will put your mind at rest :hug:

Hi Emma,

I stayed in hospital for 3-4 days after the birth of my son. I had problems after the birth in that they couldn't stop me bleeding profusely for about 12 hours. It finally settled down and then I was losing the normal amount post birth each day.

Some clots are normal. I think they say if they're bigger than your fist you need to see someone.

About a day and a half after giving birth I went to the loo in hospital and loads of big clots came out. It was really scary and I pulled the emergency cord. The midwives came to check me.

They were slightly worried but said that it was probably becasue I'd been lying down for so long and had just got up to go, so they had collected and just came out cause of gravity.

Anyway, I'm waffling! I was fine in the end. Didn't lose any more large clots. What you've described sounds perfectly normal. And if they were about the size of a grape then again, that doesn't sounds like anything to worry about.

I was left with the number of the maternity ward in case I had any post labour problems.

If I were you I'd just give them a ring to put your mind at rest. I'm not a health professional so can't say for sure.

Hope all turns out well :hug:

K.xx

Ignore my 'fist' clot sizing guide. Sweetcheeks is right, an bigger than a 50p is what I should have said!!

K.xx

My midwife told me that if I passed any clots to keep them in a bit of tissue and show them to her the next day, you might find this a bit :puke: , but it'll put your mind at rest to get them checked.

:hug:

xxx

Thanks for all your replies

I'll maybe show her the pad :oops: tomorrow when she comes.
The first time I had a wee after giving birth a huge clot came out and I showed it to a Midwife and she said it had probably just collected inside me and flushed it away! And that was pretty big these have been nothing in comparison.

I had a few clots after having Dan, but soon it became a lot lighter and now it's just a watery pink, which I'm still getting nearly three weeks after.

Don't worry. My first clot after having Luke was the size of a golf ball and really solid! It scared the crap out of me. I then had another which was around the size of a 50p piece and told the MW on the ward again who said that it's fine but if they are bigger than a 50p coin, to let them know.

i had a couple of big lumps too :puke: on the web one site said contact if bigger than a 50p (which they were) and another said contact if bigger than a golfball...(which they werent) so i left it and figured if it got worse i'd mention it...i didnt get any that big again though so i guess it was ok :lol:

i just knew something was wrong with me as i kept fainting when i stood up and bleed tones. but if worried don't wait, call your MW as its so dangerous to have retained plancenta xx

Thanks every one.
I never showed her the pad I just told her when she visited on Sunday she didn't seem too concerned and checked my notes and it did say placenta appeared in tact. She did say it is normal for this to happen and there could just be membranes that have worked their way loose.I feel fine in myself and no stomach pains.
Not had any more since just a few tiny little blob type things.

Thanks for the advise everyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back