Is my little bean gone?

raxx

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just came back from a private ultrasound and i am totally confused.

My LMP was 8 June 2011 and I am supposedly 8+6 weeks, so I was really looking forward to seeing the bean and the heartbeat.

Unfortunately, only the sac could be seen on the ultrasound, so we did an internal scan. The internal scan did show the sac and the yolk and a fetal pole, but still no heartbeat. The sonographer said that the fetus measured only 4.3mm, and fetuses don't normally have a heartbeat until they are 6mm so there is hope.

However, how is it possible for the fetus to only be 4.3mm if I am 9 weeks tomorrow??? According to the sonographer, the size of the fetus indicates 5-6 weeks, so there is a chance that everything is fine, and I just have my dates wrong.

I have not had many symptoms to start with. In the beginning, I experienced sore boobs, extreme fatigue and headaches. However, in the past one week, I no longer have these symptoms, except for frequent heart palpitations.

We conceived in the first month after coming off the pill, so it could well be possible that my dates are wrong. But I am preparing myself for the worst, that it may be over.

I am scheduled to go back for another scan in 2 weeks to see if there is any fetal development. In the mean time, my booking-in appointment with the mid-wife is on Friday.

I want to remain positive, but I am also steeling myself for the worst.

I am glad we have not told anyone the news thus far, but I'm also struggling with not having people I can talk to about it.

Thanks for listening, ladies.

Oh by the way, does anyone know until when a home pregnancy test is accurate? I know they are accurate in the early stages, but how about at almost 9 weeks? I am tempted to take a test to see if hcg levels are still present but I'm too scared.

I really don't know :hug:

When did you first test? Is there any chance you could have conceived later?

Or is there a chance that that first one didn't develop and you got preg the month after (ie had a chemical then now another?)

I think whatever is going on, you would test pos at the moment xx

Hope it all works out xx

Hi hun,

Hope you're ok. I just wondered if you had a true period (not a pill one) after coming off of the pill or started ttc before you had a period. Your cycle might have been longer than you thought if not.

I can't really offer any advice but everyone is here for you. It sounds like the sonographer was positive, so fx for good news at your next scan.

xx

I can't be of any help sweetie but I hope your LO is well :)
Take care of yourself xxx

I'm sorry you have to go through this hun, I hope they have good news for you at your next scan x

Thanks ladies. I would also like to believe that my dates are wrong, since I did not have a "real" period after coming off the pill. I'd been on the pill for almost 12 years!!

However, I got my BFP on 18th July and it showed 3+ on the digi, which would have made me already 5 weeks by then :-(

I like amyjayne77's suggestion though :)

The conception indicator isn't an accurate tool. I would say ur dates were wrong fx

It sounds quite positive from scan and you just have you dates wrong with coming off the pill. I wouldn't do anymore pregnancy tests though as I did and they got lighter so I got a bit paranoid, apparently each test can be different and each wee you do, so how dark the line is bears no indication of Hcg levels, a line is a line though. Don't worry too much about lack of symptoms, they come and go a lot, any bleeding or cramps are the main thing to worry about. Good luck, fx for you x

Didnt want to just read and run - hope everythings ok.
xxx

I too conceived straight away after coming of the pill. My last lmp was 26/12/2009 so when I did a test on the 14/03/2010 I would have been around ten weeks. I didn't get a scan until 29/03 and I was actually 9 weeks. So it is possible that you ovulated alot later.

Fingers crossed xx

Raxx
I had a scan last week (at 6wk3days) and baby measured 2.9mm which they told me was measurement for 5wk3days. But that's different to what you've been told by sounds of things? I am back next week for another scan as heartbeat was present but very faint due to size of baby. They told me before the scan that the heartbeat isnt usually visible until 7-8 weeks but can sometimes be seen earlier. Have you been asked to go back?

I am sure everything is fine & perhaps you're earlier on than you first thought? Try not to worry (easier said than done!) With my son we didn't see a heartbeat on the first scan, but 10 days later, it was there, twinkling. I'm sure everything is fine & dandy with your little bean xxx

Thank you all so much! I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a problem with the dates but it's hard to push the doubts away.

We are going on holiday for a week on Friday - i hope that I will be able to think happy thoughts all the way through.

I really hope u have ur dates wrong ur lil bean is ok! Were u doing ov tests? As my cycle I always Ov day 14-15 and the month I conceived It was day 20-22!! xx

Hope everything works out for you! fingers crossed :hugs: xxx

i cant believe they r making u wait two weeks!! they should have done ur hcg 2 days apart, but anyways from what ive read it seems quite possible ur dates r wrong hun and bean it still sticky!! fingers crossed for you and enjoy ur hol xxx

I had my first scan 6 weeks after my LMP and measured at 4-5 weeks, the second scan was 8+2 weeks after my LMP and I measured just 7 weeks and my final scan was 10+5weeks after LMP and I measured 11 weeks!! The sonographer and consultant said it all depends on when you ovulate in your cycle and that until 11/12 weeks its very difficult to be accurate.

Hope this gives you some reassurance! My next scan I should be 13+3, so fingers crossed i'm somewhere close to that in measurements!!

Thanks for all your support. I really appreciate it.

I'd planned to go to the Early Pregnancy Unit today to have a chat and maybe another scan, but I couldn't get the time off work. I might try to leave early and go and chat with someone. They won't be able to do any scans since that department closes at 4.30, but maybe they can schedule something for me for tomorrow if necessary.

Piglet10, it's not that they are making me wait.... we are going on holiday for 10 days, so we are booked in for the first day when we get back.

In the meantime, I did some googling this morning and found some really positive stories. I read about how having a tilted or retroverted uterus could drastically the scans in early pregnancy. I once had an internal exam with an OBGYN who told me that I had my womb was "upside-down". I am going on the hope and notion that this is the reason why the scan has shown up inconsistent results.

However, I am sure the sonographer would have seen this in the scan so I wonder why she did not mention it?

Good luck hun, i hate waiting, but there again im just inpatient! Hope all is well xx

hope everything works out for you xx keep thinking positive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back