I'm Anaemic

FebMum2Be

Reaction score
Got my bloods done at my last scan.. Received letter today telling me I have anaemia.. Been put on a double dose of iron and been told to go back in 3 weeks for more tests, explains the dizzy spells and tiredness I guess, they mentioned that if I couldn't take tablets (am rubbish at swallowing them, always have been.. tense my throat up unintentionally and end up choking myself:lol:) I should give them a ring as there are other options.. I think they may mean the iron injection? Anyone else had iron deficency before baby was born?

i had it with both my boths got the tablets to take near the end

I'm borderline anaemic when I'm not pregnant. I am taking Spatone which is a liquid iron supplement - I think it's really good. All natural and easy to take - you just add it to orange juice. :)

hey mrs. iv had low blood since prev. m/c because i haemorrhaged and lost 5 litres of blood. got transfusion but blood never went up right. my blood is now 7 and im seeing consultant today for another transfusion!! i have been on iron 2 strong tabs a day and iron just keeps getting lower. i was in hosp and it took them two hours to get blood so they panicked i think thinking what if?! but hopf get sorted today!! :D do you know what your iron level is?? xx

I had it with my wee man, had to take 2 iron tablets a day :puke:

I'm borderline anaemic when I'm not pregnant. I am taking Spatone which is a liquid iron supplement - I think it's really good. All natural and easy to take - you just add it to orange juice. :)

I was told to ask for this by my midwife at hosp app.. So made an appointment with my doc and asked for it but was told it wasn't being prescribed anymore :shakehead: I definitly think I will try to buy it though, how did you go about getting it Mervs Mum? I am like a big child not being able to swallow tablets without a fuss :oops:

u can get spatone in chemists but if u hav a tesco they do it slightly cheaper!!! there are lots of varieties so try get highest iron one :D

hey mrs. iv had low blood since prev. m/c because i haemorrhaged and lost 5 litres of blood. got transfusion but blood never went up right. my blood is now 7 and im seeing consultant today for another transfusion!! i have been on iron 2 strong tabs a day and iron just keeps getting lower. i was in hosp and it took them two hours to get blood so they panicked i think thinking what if?! but hopf get sorted today!! :D do you know what your iron level is?? xx

I'm sorry to hear :hug: I hope you get it sorted too, I will keep my fingers crossed for your app today :flower: I'm not sure what way the levels work, but on the letter it says HB: 10-9

aww thanks mrs !! emm doc told me 12 is ok when ur preg over 10 is safe but they dont like it really being much below 10. 12 is much better. i think its more that if u lose a lot of blood during labour if anything ... im just a croc but if this sprout makes its was healthy and pref. cute :D ill b happy xx

oh and hb just means haemoglobin :D they confused me at the start calin it 6 diff names but they all mean the same xx

I will keep everything crossed for you :hug: Thanks for the info, they didn't say much on the letter.. Makes sense :lol: I am useless with all of the abbrieviations! xx

Yeah you can get it in the chemists. The MWs here recommend it too. I bought it because I couldnt be arsed to go to the GPs surgery full of skanky bods coughing and sneezing on me!

Last edited:
Get eating those greens and some fortified cereals as well :) My blood count with Katie was over 14 last time :) Having cravings for cereal might have helped :rofl:

I will find out the results of my bloods at my 31+1 appointment but it wouldn't surprise me if I get put on iron. Problem is it makes me even more sick than I am already so I know it won't stay down xx

Oh Katy I hope your iron levels are ok, last thing you need is something else to take in and make you feel even sicker :hug: iron has started making me feel a bit iffy :puke:

Mamafy been having 2-3 bowls of weetos the past few days all of a sudden and just realised it said on the packet it contained vitimins and iron, and the next day my letter came, ironic eh? I will eat lots of it.. They said scrambled eggs were good too.. And of course plenty of red meat

:lol: Mervs Mum I know what you mean, I do hate my GP surgery but I do shared care so unfortunatly can't avoid it as much as I would like :lol:

Funny how sometimes we crave what we need :lol:

Bleh.. Got re-tested and am even lower than before.. I am boggled! Gonna ring doctors on Monday to see if they will prescribe me maybe a stronger supplement.. In the meantime, no tea and lots of iron rich foods washed down with some orange juice!

:( sometimes they don't pick up until after baby. Mine was really high last time but as soon as Katie was born it dipped down and I was on iron for 8 weeks after she was born :eh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back