I need a good book...

clarey

Reaction score
Hi girls can anyone recommend a good book on pregnancy? all the ones I have looked at seem to be full of cheesy photos of smug looking parents-to-be, and scary birth pics, and I just want some nice clear week by week details and diagrams, what not to eat and do etc
Also I dont want some huge hardback thing I cant carry about with me or read in bed...so not asking for much :D

Any suggestions?
Thanks xx

I know a fab one, I have it and it made me chuckle like mad...

EDIT - it's not about pregnancy though, it's about babies. Damn

Hi i have a great one "what to expect when you're expecting" by by Arlene Eisenberg (Author), Heidi E. Murkoff (Author), Sandee E. Hathaway (Author)

It's really fantastic and informative and not cheesy at all and it answers ALL your questions.

I also have the "what to expect when your expecting" book, it's great. I've also got conception, pregnancy and birth by mirriam stoppard - another good one. I've about half a dozen to be honest but I'm moving house and they are packed away in a box and I can't remember the titles to tell you them. Those are the best two that I have though.

'The Best Friend's Guide to Pregnancy' (by Vicki someone, can't remember her surname but I know it begins with 'I') is quite good fun, but is mostly anecdotal and is basically just good for a laugh.

I know you've stipulated no hardback, but really I can't emphasize enough how helpful and wonderful I've found 'The New Pregnancy & Childbirth: Choices and Challenges" by Sheila Kitzinger. I find I can read it in bed spread across the pillows or on my lap. But, of course, it's your call.

Thinking back to your criteria, you're probably best off with Pregnancy & Birth by Miriam Stoppard. I picked up a copy in my local cheap bookshop for £4, if I remember correctly.

The other option is to browse the appropriate section in your local library and then buy a copy of whichever one you find most helpful!

Great, thanks guys,
I will take myself off to Borders and spend some money! I was a bit overwhelmed by the vast numbers of books in there, but I do remember spotting some of the ones you have mentioned. Maybe I will sit in one of their comfy armchairs and look at a few before I buy one....or 2 or 3 - am a bit of a book addict :roll:

Thank you!!

if u fancy great bed time reading, buy the books aimed at dads, there soo amusing, i used to buy my partner them but ended up reading them myself

i also think that book what to expect when your expecting is great.

What did you buy in the end, clarey? And what are your initial thoughts on them from your browsing?

(I've been looking at all sorts of things on Amazon (mainly for later on - there's a lot of interesting books on active birth, hypnobirthing & breastfeeding). If I get them all, it'll probably set me back well over £50! I'm terrible with book buying.)

I've got 'The Pregnancy Bible', 'Conception, Pregnancy & Birth' and What to Expect when your Expecting. I think The Pregnancy Bible and Con, Preg & Birth are both brilliant very imformative and very few smug parents-to-be pictures. I wasn't so kean on the What to Expect one but that's my personal feeling.

Hi

I also have expect the unexpected, its a great book, id certainly recommend it :D

Tiggy xx

Have you tried the library? I have had a few books out from there.
Also when you see the midwife she will give you loads of books, magazines, leaflets to read you get bored by them in the end.
I find the internet good, i google how many weeks i am and look at the pics and whats going on inside you.

The best book I read when I was pregnant was 'The Rough Guide to Pregnancy & Birth' by Kaz Cooke. It's got a ruler at the beginning of each week to show how big your baby is, & is written as a diary. I really enjoyed it. Have a look on ebay too, you can usually get a bargain.

This is great thanks!

I havent had time to go shopping yet, I'm so knackered by the time I get from work and trying to be good and rest when I get home - good excuse for OH to cook tea and be housewifely anyway! :lol:

Will go armed with a list on Thursday and try and limit my spending!!

Cheers girlies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back