I have some cloth nappy questions!

No probs, just thought its worth a tenner to try all those brands and you can just keep the ones you like (or none at all) and get refunded. I might try a Grovia one too. :)

I just bought a 'Little bloom' cheapie off Amazon too for £6 including 2 bamboo inserts.

yeh that looks good :) Like the idea of that Eco Egg on that site too... 720 washes for £20!

I've never tried the eco egg, heard totally mixed responses from friends about them. I've heard they can split and all the beans end up in your machine, others swear by them though. not sure Id use it for clothes as I like fabric conditioner smells!

Really great thread, thanks for all the info ladies, I plan to use cloth/reusable nappies, but as a FTM my plan is probably to use sposies for the first fortnight while I'll probably be too overwhelmed by poo and tired lol. Then when im starting to get the hang of changing a bum anyway, start introducing reusables! xxx

yeh that's my plan too climbingrose :)

Glad im not alone! It only occured to me the other day to do this, I was feeling really overwhelmed by my moral obligation to use cloth from the word go, but kept thinking I just dont want to have to on a newborn, then suddenly it hit me! I can just use disposables for a bit, then go on to resuables when im ready. compromise is a beautiful thing :)

I did that, although the planned 2 weeks became 10. Still only a tiny part of the time they spend in nappies and one less thing to learn

yeah im thinking 2 weeks is quite optimistic, guess I'll find out when I get there :D

I used sposies the first few weeks, theres enough to think about to start with, Ill use them straight away this time but they are second nature to me now and washing them every other day comes naturally although ds has just potty learned so not had to wash any nappys for a few weeks now!

I too got into the routine of washing nappies quite quickly, you don't even think about it after a bit you just do it. Lots of friends have used disposables to start with, specially if in hospital then move onto cloth. I am planning on starting straight away this time, but will buy disposables just in case or maybe alternate if I feel I need to.

I haven't used the egg as not heard great things about it, but maybe worth a try and if does work than I think it's a good deal :) I can't wait to buy my new nappies, there was nothing more satisfying than watching the them drying on the line in the garden.

X

Last edited:
:) I think I'm going to try the odd one or 2 cloth ones from the start while mainly using biodegradable disposables to ease myself into it. Ordered a cheapie one and going to order the trial pack when little one arrives. But not jump straight into full time straight away until I get the hang of it and see which ones are working for me x

that's wise, its an expensive initial layout esp if you or baby don't get on with the ones you buy, I've found trying lots of different ones is a good start to see what you like then build the stash from there. I like itties best, shame they are hard to get hold of now esp new.

I just got my first cloth nappy delivered in the post this morning, so excited, how cute is this!! Only £6 including 2 bamboo inserts and delivery :)

muvy3y9e.jpg

Ok I have a question. With the cloth nappies how well do they go under clothes, like vest with poppers and lil jeans and the like?

Some of these look so pretty, it seems a shame to hide them away.

Ok I have a question. With the cloth nappies how well do they go under clothes, like vest with poppers and lil jeans and the like?

Some of these look so pretty, it seems a shame to hide them away.

ah this is where some people get addicted! esp with girls as you can buy gorgeous dresses that have little spilt up the back to show off the pretty nappy! you can even buy matching clothes with the nappy or pretty ruffled nappys! some people use baby legs which are like long leg warmers instead of tights so their legs stay warm and nappy is seen. some put boys in these too, I've had a few beautiful nappys with things like Thomas embroidery on so seems a shame to hide! I've not really had a problem with clothes going over the top, its surprising how slim some nappys are, sometimes you might need bigger vests sooner though to do the poppers up as if things are too tight you can get wicking or compression leaks. my ds was chubby til he started moving so a lot of clothes were tight round his legs so I had to make sure I got looser fitting clothes anyway to accommodate his thighs! What I've found since he potty learned though is now his trousers all fall down as he's a skinny 2 year old, his nappy helped hold his trousers up before lol!

On numbers I have 8 bamboo (like them more but they're slow to dry), 4 cotton (dry overnight) and 5 bamboo in a larger size for nights. I put them through the machine on a rinse wash every morning (20 minute cold rinse) and wash every third day.

The ones I use for night will become day nappies once he's bigger.

All mine are second hand or factory seconds and have come in at £2-5 a nappy

Scotch egg, how do you get factory seconds if you don't mind me asking?
I have used cotton but much prefer bamboo and ended up using bamboo only with my last one... Fair enough they take longer to dry but I thing the brilliant absorption is worth the longer drying times. If the weather is good I get them almost dry in the line and then tumble dry for the last 20 minutes, if not, air dry inside overnight and tumble dry for the 20 minutes in the morning.

I had 20 nappies in total and buying 20 again for this one.

X

Mummy midwife, with having 20, does that mean you are washing a day's load every day to rotate, as I heard you might use about 10 a day? So you need 10 drying while you're using the next 10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back