I have some cloth nappy questions!

babyphoenix

Reaction score
So I've just found out I'm pregnant and I already knew I wanted to use cloth nappies but now I'm expecting I'm allowed to serious think about it haha.

Someone explain the whole thing to me?

Are all of the nappies just basically covers with linings in?

Or are there nappies that aren't just waterproof covers?

Basically I know nothing, so anyone who could tell me more, and who could direct me to some good ones online (amazon/ebay or something) that would be great because I wanna start buying them ASAP! :)

Jodi x

I'm stalking this as I want to use reusable ones too and don't have a clue either.

There are some gnappies on sale on ocado at the mo which I might just get one to try. I'm trying to arrange a free demo with local nappy lady too. Try your local council as some offer free or discounted nappies to discourage waste of disposables.

Sorry can't help with advice on how they actually work though yet x

Last edited:
I joined my local cloth nappy library where I am getting a newborn loan for 40 euros for one month. Lots of different nappies to try out for a month so then I will (hopefully) know which ones I prefer/ suit and then go and buy some. It's worth joining a Facebook cloth nappy chat group as you will see all sorts of questions being answered on there :)

I'd agree. Try to find somewhere local you can hire a selection. Different babies and mummies suit different nappies. Some councils even hire out kits to try. We started at about 6 weeks and as a ftm I'm glad we did as there were lots of leaks while we adjusted and that would have been a lot to cope with in the early days. Also a lot of the nappies don't fit great on tiny babies and are better from about 10lb from what I've read.

Why not join the cloth bum mums group on Facebook
I use tots bots easy fits they are all in ones so easy to use highly recommend them!

Also stalking as feel exactly the same as babyphoenix - finally have my bfp (very early days) but allowing myself to think about these things and I really want to use real nappies. The local 'nappy guru' no longer available but there are places in Nottingham that will hire nappies apparently. So later (quite a lot of months) I will investigate more.

Another vote for Cloth Bum Mums here too. Lots of knowledgeable ladies on there :)

I used cloth for ds and Will do with this one too. It is confusing at the start as there are so many choices out there. Are you on Facebook? Theres a main cbm group but I prefer the smaller one that's in Scotland. We have local meets once a month to talk nappys which is really helpful for pregnant ladies who plan to use cloth for the first time. A lot of councils also have nappy schemes, I got a starter pack when I had ds with a range of nappys to try out. Real nappy week is in April so there will be some great offers available that week.
I have a mixture of nappys some are 2 parts so have the water proof layer that goes over the top, these are best at night I find because they are bulkier and tend to last longer. In the day I used either pockets or all in ones, the all in ones are sized so you need to buy more as baby gets older the pockets I used were birth to potty which fitted from about 4 months until he potty learned at 27 months.

I used cloth with both my babies , although by the time I decided to switch from disposable to cloth my eldest was a toddler. I spent ages looking into what was what as it can be such a minefield with all different types of nappies out there :/ so I can really understand where you are at. I agree with the posts above, the nappy lady is where I started my journey with cloth nappies, enjoy :) xxx

We use Bumgenius freetimes birth to potty. Basically put on like a disposable with no inserts/covers etc. Love them x

I went to see a nappy guru yesterday for an intro, still overwhelmed until I try thm I guess but it was really useful.

Found out about this site which you may find useful...

http://www.fill-your-pants.com/

Last edited:
don't be overwhelmed they r just like sposies
but u have to wash them I treat them exactly the same!
I have tots bots and bumdeals but they are just personal preference!

there is a lot of options out there but best way to start is with some simple ones like tots bots or little lambs as they are just as easy as a sposie for putting on, you can then look at other options once your into it and need bigger sizes x

:) Yeh I think it's more the different brands and not knowing which to try first! :lol: Not letting it get in the way though, am determined to do it x

We've all been there, it is a bit mind blowing with all the options available but try a few and see how you get on :) you'll find The one xxxx

There are quite a few different type of cloth nappys and it really depends on the individual and the baby as to what would work best. There are so many different brands as well. There are pocket nappys which you boost with inserts and they just go on as a disposable does, there are all in ones that can just be used as they are without adding inserts ect, although for heavy wetters boosting is recommended. There are 2 part nappies where you put a wrap over the top of the nappy, there are prefolds which you put a wrap over. I would recommend trying a few different types I wasted lots of money buying all the same only to sell them all (losing lots of money) I now use bumgenius and tots bots easy fit.
There are also sized nappies that go from and to a certain weight (like disposables) there are also one size nappies (aka btp - birth to potty) they can be adjusted with the poppers on the feeing of the nappy so they can be made smaller. I hope that helps a bit. It all seems overwhelming to begin with but it's all easy when you get the hang of it x

We've decided to go with Grovia Hybrids and see how that works out! We bought our first last week and it's so cute!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back