I don't seem to be eligible for anything!

moss

Reaction score
Hello! I am new here. I just found out I am pregnant, and it is very good news as my husband and I weren't sure it would be possible. The one problem is that we are both uni students (we went back at the same time to try to make things easier in the long-term), and we are just starting new jobs after moving to a new city, and because of this and our student status, we don't think we are eligible for anything. We could really use the Healthy Start (?) and the £500 payment since I don't think I will be eligible for maternity pay. I doubt I will be because it is a good, but uni job, and doesn't start for another two weeks, at which time I think I will be pregnant for about ten weeks or more (I still don't have my scan date).

Most of the payments and benefits seem only to be eligible for people already on benefits, but we could really use it because we are starving students! Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance!

I'd go talk to someone at your local job centre and see what advice they can offer. You may well be entitled to something.

Re maternity pay, its a tricky one as you need to have been in work for x amount of weeks in x amount to be eligible. I can't remeber the exact amount of weeks, but say its something like 22 weeks of employment, then you may well find you are eligible for maternity pay when times comes to take your maternity leave. And I am not sure if there is a set time you need to have been working for said employer either. Again, something local services or the DTI Gov site. Again your Job centre can help. That's only me guessing how many weeks, and assuming you then work till past 32 weeks etc. Of course, it may be Maternity allowance you claim and it'll come via the Job Centre not your employer.

If not, I think there are benefits available to you, but if your OH is working maybe not as much.

I found it easiest to give my local job centre a call. They were lovely and answered all my questions.

hi

with my first baby i was a uni student at the time and i wasnt entitled to any thing, so i had to suspend off the course temp and be "unemployed" and got income support, which you can then get the sure start grant.

they made it soo difficult for me. just keep phoning job centre and asking to speak to people, it tooks me loads of phone calls to find some one that could actually help me.

are u going a course where u get a bursary or grant?

I'm getting the general Scottish amount, which I will have to pay some back. I was afraid I might have to stop my course for a year. I really don't want to... It's my last resort!

Don't forget you will definitely get Child benefit, which isn't loads but it will be a help.

Also depending on pay you should be able to get child tax credit.

If you look into Maternity Allowance the rules are different than for SMP so you may be entitled to something.

Maternity Allowance helpline: 0845 608 8526

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back