i cant cope with colic

Bunnykins

Reaction score
Is anyone else having to cope with colic? My little man is 6 weeks and has it pretty bad and it seems to be peaking at the moment as its the worst its ever been :( I'm finding it really hard, he's so upset all the time that I dread him being awake, I do everything to make him stay asleep so I don't have to hear him scream. We get no nice bonding time with him as all he does is scream hysterically when he's awake and therefore he's not interested in his jungle gym, toys or us and I'm worried at this rate he will never smile or his development will suffer. He doesn't even recognise his dad yet as he's too hysterical to look at him, my oh only gets cuddles when Lo is asleep. We can't go out as he screams so much or want feeding it makes it impossible to spend too much time in public.
It's at the point where he is such hard work and he is draining me with his screaming and cluster feeding that i am just not enjoying him at all and dread waking up having to face another day of it, I love him more than anything don't get me wrong and I know its not his fault poor little thing and I hate colic for what its turned my little boy into, I can't even get a break from it as I'm breastfeeding and he cluster feeds so bad I can't leave him with anyone not even my hubby as he just wants my boob all the time. It's affecting my marriage as we are so stressed with it and I am so tired, I feel like I'm missing out on this stage of his life and that I've been robbed of this special time getting to know my newborn.

Would love to know I'm not alone or any advice anyone has that might help.

Hun, you're definitely not alone. My LO was colicky up until a couple of weeks ago when we started weaning (it's unusual to go on that long though) and I totally understand how you're feeling. Until recently I've been virtually unable to put my LO down, she's needed to be held almost constantly, and like you, I was always worried going out the house in case she kicked off somewhere. A few things though - if it's all day long rather than worse on an evening it could be something other than just colic like silent reflux or lactose intolerance; we've seen two different paediatricians and different doctors - don't be afraid to keep going if you suspect it's not 'just' colic. With my LO she was at her 'best' on a morning and got worse as the day went on, until she finally went to sleep at 11pm, with 6pm onwards being a constant feed, walk around, change hold, move here, move there, feed... cycle but if it's all day long right from getting up it may indicate something else.

What have you tried to ease the colic so far? We tried baby massage, colic holds, warm baths, gripe water, infacol, dentinox, colief... the best for us seemed to be infacol but different things work for different babies. Also, does being in the car or a walk in the pram help? Sometimes when nothing else would work, a drive in the car would kind of snap her out of the crying for a bit.

We're also breastfeeding - I found it really super when she was really kicking off on an evening to be able to feed her, the longer the better, I would have happily fed her all evening long if it comforted her and stopped her crying. OK, it's not so good for leaving them with someone - will your LO take a bottle? I don't really have anyone I'd be happy to have left her with when she was like that but it was nice to be able to give her to my hubby on occasion with a bottle and have a few hours away from the crying.

My LO wasn't interested in any toys or her playmat until about 5 months, and I was starting to worry that she was a miserable baby as she wasn't much of a smiler and just always seemed unhappy, but recently she's been an absolute dream and is full of smiles, so just keep in mind that as soon as this pain passes he'll be able to interact with you and his dad a lot more.

I got told colic is usually gone by 3 months, even though that wasn't true in our case, it's a date to keep in mind when things seem too much - it's not forever and it WILL pass. :hugs:

Last edited:
My little man had colic up until 13 weeks, nothing really worked for him but I remember just constantly walking with him in my arms.. At nighttime I used to swaddle him and put a blanket under his mattress to raise it up so he wasn't lying flat..

It's hard, but you are not alone and this phase does pass, my doctor told me to sit odhran on my knee and while winding him move him in gentle circles, that always used to comfort him, also lying him tummy down across my knees

I hope it goes soon hun x

You poor things, it must be hell. Have you been to the doctor like Cantstop said it could be more to it? I'm guessing you have tried eliminating things from your diet such as caffeine, dairy and spicy things? Do you have your mum or someone near by who can let you get a couple of hours sleep?

Ryan's colic is much better at 9 weeks now but it started around 3 weeks and was a big nightmare. Like you i thought he was never happy and it made me so upset. I have nothing to add to what the others say, infacol is working for us, but every baby is different. I just wanted to send you a massive hug as it's awful, isn't it. I hope it resolves itself soon. xx

You poor thing, I feel for you. A has reflux and needs to be held/on the boob all the time. Meds are not working so next step is exclude dairy.
It might be more than colic though,I thought colic was mainly in the evening? Does he bring up stuff after every feed?

i really feel for you. i have no experience of colic but know that emma is best fed as upright as possible, it helps keep her milk down. it might not work for you but if you have a baby bjorn you can feed in them, means that they feed totally upright, they are upright for a good while afterwards and you can walk around and do things. being held close for long time during the day can also help them sleep at night. not for everyone but have seen it work really well for a couple of constantly feeding babies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back