hsg test what to expect?

vegas

Reaction score
Hi girls. Booking hsg test when next period arrives. Girls who've had it done what should I expect and would like to here any success stories. Thanks

Hi Vegas, I've had this done and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting! It was uncomfortable but wasn't painful. They didn't find anything on mine, so not sure if this would have affected the pain level. There was a little bit of waiting around. I was called through and put in a cubicle where the nurse went through everything with me, gave me my antibiotics and got me into my gown. Then when they were ready for me we walked to the treatment room. They were really nice and put you at ease. The actual proceedure didn't last long and then you were free to go.

Good luck with it! x

I personally found it pretty painful - I think everyone is different in this respect. Having now given birth I would say my experience was similar to an early contraction. I would take some painkillers beforehand just in case. The pain doesn't last after though and it's over quite quickly. Good luck xx

I had a hsg earlier this year. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The worse bit for me was when they put the clamp on and that pinched fairly hard. The dye going in was ok, felt a bit strange. I've not had my full results from it yet as I have to wait for my consultant app in Feb but didn't want to wait this long so I called the fertility team they said it was fine. I went back to work afterwards. Felt a bit rough in the evening but was fine the next day.

I found it fine, I didn't have any blockages and was pain free, a little cramping a while after though but nothing major.
I did fall pregnant just after the HSG but miscarried, I am sure there was no relation but they said sometimes it just blows the cobwebs away xx

thanks girls, I dunno what results I want really. sometimes I think I want it to be clear so then there's no problem but on the other hand I want it to be blocked so there is a reason why I haven't fallen pregnant yet. mixed emotions at the min :(

Mine was totally painless (apart from the slight speculum discomfort at the start like having a smear) much to the surprise of everyone as I did have a blockage...quite crampy got a day or two afterwards but nothing major. Good luck xx

I'm convinced I've got a blockage, dunno why just do. What do they do to unblock it?

It depends, some say the dye being forced though can unblock... I went on to have a lap so try and see what was causing my blockage and if it could be repaired. It was to an extent, I have endo and scar tissue from an infection. My tube was freed up and opened bit it's still not in great shape. I hope it's good news for you xx

I found the test fine. Slightly uncomfortable when inserting the catheter but no pain at all. Just a weird feeling :)

Good luck xxx

I found mine uncomfortable, like heavy AF pain. Both my tubes were blocked, that might explain it

Xx

I just wish the appointments weren't so far apart. Every time I'm going I have to wait around another 8 weeks until the next one. My first appointment was in July and haven't got much further forward really, just bloods. Anyone else finding time between appointments long?

Yep same here. Our first app was last November and we aren't going back now until Feb. So in 15 months I'll have had ultrasounds, hsg and bloods. Not only that every time they send me an appointment they then rearrange it about 4 times afterwards!

The longest wait I had was for my lap and dye surgery. I had my HSG in March, a follow up appointment with my consultant in April, then my surgery should have been august ( which was cancelled). I had it early this month. My next appointment with my consultant is not until November. I need to fit in another HSG before then

Xx

I've been given an appointment 18th November which will discuss results from hsg which I'm going for soon. If clear I'll go for lap and dye next. What's the difference between hsg and lap and dye? I thought hsg was the dye?

I had my hsg in July and don't get my app to discuss results until Feb! Sucks!

I think lap and dye is done under ga, they actually do an incision in your belly and work through that rather than the hsg which is all done up your foof. Why will they do a lap if your hsg is clear? I thought they only did them if your hsg isn't clear? Don't know though as not had one.

Yes a laparoscopy is an operation done under GA. They put a teeny camera through your belly button and I had three incisions in my abdomen where work was carried out on my tubes and endo. I has mine as my hsg showed some problems, not sure why they'd do it otherwise unless you have very painful periods or a history of endo or similar? Xx

I'm not too sure why you would have a lap and dye if your tubes are clear. The lap maybe an investigation to see if there is anything else from preventing you getting pregnant eg endo or cysts maybe? I'm going for my second HSG on Monday :( not looking forward to it xx

I'm waiting for a HSG too. Our waiting list is ridiculous, wish I could just get it over and done with! x

I think they do laparoscopy even if HSG clear as part of the investigation process as they can have a real good look around. The HSG can't show everything, I am not 100% sure but that's what I have gathered from what I have read xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back