HSG next week

tract0rgirl

Reaction score
Hi, girlies - hope you're all well. Haven't been on here much due go holidays and my mum is quite ill, but I've got my last test next Wednesday (20 June) - the HSG. I can't fault my local NHS for how quickly we've raced through tests, etc. They've been really quick.

Anyhoo - who in here has had an HSG? I'm sure I read that one of you recommended taking some neurofen about an hour before the test to ease the pain a bit, or maybe that was for something else. Do you get to see what's happening on a screen and do they explain there and then what they're seeing and if anything's wrong? Answers on a postcard, please xxx

Sorry I cant offer any advice on this hun as I have not had it done, but if the clomid doesnt work then that is next on my list.

I have heard some ladies say it gives you bad cramps and others say its fine, I think it boils down to each person x

I had some treatment on my cervix and to be honest it really hurt, make sure you max out on painkillers and relax too.

Good luck!

xx

I've not had one personally but an injection into your cervical region can't be pleasant :oooo:

I have heard of people having painkillers but maybe keep aspirin to a minimum to reduce bleeding.

I'm sorry about your mum :hug:

I've had it and it's more uncomfortable thank painful. I was told to take the maximum dose of pain killers an hour before to help ease the cramping you get after it. I'm sure you'll be fine, good luck!

Thanks for your comments - better get stocked up on painkillers next week. Not looking forward to it, but at least it'll be over quickly and I'll know if anything's wrong xx

Not had one tract0rgirl but i hear it can be a bit unconfortable, as the others say top up on pain killers, hope it goes ok, glad tests are moving very fast for you. xx

hi hope you dont mind me butting into your forum - had one and can't lie it did hurt but only for a few seconds - honestly - it was over really quicky and the doctor who did it showed me the picture on the screen afterwards and explained what I was looking at.
I didn't take any pain killers beforehand though and have got a really low pain threshold so if you take some it'll probably be fine. Didn'thave any discomfort afterwards either.
Good luck hope it goes ok and remember some people say it can have a positive effect of flushing your tubes out! :thumbup:

Thanks. Hopefully there won't be too much discomfort afterwards. I will be at peak fertility a few days later so want to make the most of it if they clear my tubes!!

Hi, also butting in, I haven't had one but am part of the team that performs them (radiographer) they're not pleasant but shouldn't be painful more uncomfortable really. They insert a speculum, clean your cervix with a swab and a very mild solution. They then insert a very tiny catheter in through the mouth of the womb and inflate a tiny balloon to hold it in place. Again this shouldn't hurt but may give you menstrual type cramps. Then the doc will remove the speculum and inject a little bit of x-ray dye which again may induce a little cramping. They will then see how well the tubes 'spill' and wherther both are patent and whether there are any abnormalities with the uterus. Normally the Dr will let you know a bit about the results - whether there's a blockage etc and as someone mentioned the dye and process can be enough in some cases to clear one. However we strongly advise our patients to not try for this cycle I'm afraid as if there's any dye remaning in your tubes at the time of implantation it can cause the tube to block and result in an ectopic pregnancy which is obviously not a good idea. You're given a sanitary pad as the dye makes its way back out after and a little spotting is common. Take any painkillers you normally would and things you would for mentrual cramps, hot water bottle etc. People generally find they are never as bad as they were expecting. Hope this is helpful and not over the top. Best of luck. p.s. I was thrilled to follow a lady out of maternity the other week who we had previosuly had a HSG on 6 months previously :eek:)

I made sure I had 2 anadin extras 2 hour before but it really hurt. It was difficult for me because it hurt that much that I held my breathe (obviously you aren't allowed to move) and she told me to relax - I started shaking and went into a bit of a panic attack!!! I Cried :(

But, on the bright side, I know others that have had it done and they didn't get any pain at all - for me the pain might've had something to do with the endo

xx

awww good luck with this :hugs:and extra luck in your fertile peak after x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back