• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How much time is your DH/OH taking off?

tipper

Reaction score
I'm just curious to see how much time everyone's SO is taking off once you have your baby.

As of now, my DH is talking about a week off. Unfortunately, summer is the busiest time of year at his work, and they typically don't allow anyone to take vacation during those months. Even knowing this, I was expecting him to take more time off. Now on the flip side, the MIL was shocked when she found out he was taking a week (she also works at this company). At first I thought it was because she also felt he should be taking more time, but it was the opposite. She thought he was taking too much time off. :eh:

Gotta say, I'm kinda panicking over the thought of being alone with the baby and cats all day by myself during the early weeks.

My DH is having two weeks paternity then my in laws plan to come down for two weeks (hopefully that will be helpful rather than stressful!) then depending on exactly when baby arrives DH might be on half term for a week xx

My hubby is taking the two weeks paternity and then just over a week holiday. I'm going between being annoyed he's not taking longer off (he wasted holiday earlier in my pregnancy just to have some "him time" while I was away?!) and being pleased as we'll be able to get into a routine a bit earlier.

i doubt very much my oh will be able to take anything, he runs his dads motorbike company so if he is off then the shop is shut. summer is there busiest time.

annoyed in away but also kinda understand that the business could go under if they loose to much money(struggling abit at the mo),

hopefully he will be able to have something. xxx

My other half is taking two weeks annual leave and two weeks paternity altogether, We are very lucky to be spending a whole month off together! Hope we don't get on each others nerves lol x

mine will be lucky to have a week off his company dnt do paternity leave aparently!! :mad:

I'll be lucky if I get a full day from mine, he has his own business n if he's not there he dint av money, n even when he's not there his phones always going, but that just part of him n what he's about x

Isn't it by law that ur oh can have 2 weeks paternity leave I know it's hard for some that are self employed my oh work screwed him over when Amy was born he was only told off the current manager that by law he could of had 7 weeks paid leave as Amy was in hospital as all her probs plus his 2 weeks paternity but no he worked up till I went into hospital on the Sunday came with me had a week off then worked for a month then give him his other week paternity leave the week Amy came out unfortunately Amy came out on his last day of his holiday and he was bac the next day.

He gets confused wen he can take it he wants to wait till I go into labour then all being well and she's no problem he wants to say to work that he's taking 2 weeks paternity leave to bond with baby as he didn't get the chance with Amy, but weather he has to book it off or what he doesn't know also if they say I'm going to be induced it's a different storey as that could happen in about 2-3 weeks but he will tell them after my scan coz well no more then

Last edited:
My OH is taking 2 weeks off but i know hes reluctant to take a full 2 weeks because the 2nd week wont be fully paid. We are lucky enough that he can kind of play it by ear - he is a social worker and he makes his own appointments etc so if he needs longer or doesnt need as long he can work it around us at the time x

My OH is self employed so will be taking at alteast 2 weeks off maybe more if he can get enough jobs before baby arrives so we have back up money! x

My OH works from home and is home about 5 days out of 7 so he can carry on working but help me with the baby at the same time. Having said that during the summer he does get busier so may only be home 3 days out of 7. My dad also works from home and OH's parents are both retired so will have plenty of help.

loulou - its law for men to have two weeks paternity leave and there's something now about 13 weeks more, up til they are 5, but you can only have 4 weeks of those per year. So his company are breaking the law if they deny him the two weeks leave.

emmaandamyleigh, he has to book it off - its a requirement (stupid, I know, when you don't know exactly when baby will be born) but I think they can sometimes jiggle it to fit in with when the baby actually comes.

Roo3 - that sounds fantastic!

In reply to the first post, my bloke has two weeks booked but he's considering a 6 month career break (its unpaid) - I'm extremely keen for this, and we both have a lot we want to or need to do and I want him to have proper time with Daisy when she's born. But if he only had the two weeks, I know I'd be ok - my ex took a little holiday for a week or so on top of the leave, when we had Kaya. But I've a decent house this time (ok, it's full of three houses worth of furniture because we're still clearing oh's late mum's house) and I've got Cherelle on the other side of Cardiff, and stuff. And I've a lot of good things to look forward to in the summer.

The important thing is, if your oh can't have any or enough time off, make sure you have a support network - family and/or friends, neighbours even. I met an across the road neighbour on thurs, they were lovely. I just need to find a way to get to know them better. They're probably my parent's age.

Mine is having a week paternity as his company do it at full pay and a weeks holiday. If baby comes when he's meant to with all the bank holidays we'll get closer to 3/4 consecutive weeks at home x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clark Gracen
Back