how many ...

Magic Monkey

Reaction score
How many maternity towels do you need to buy/pack in hospital bag. I don't want to run out, but equally don't wnat to fill my bag with them unnecessarily.

Thank you xxxx

It really depends how long you plan to stay in for. If you want to be in and out then I'd say one pack might last you a couple of days, but any longer and more like 2-3 packs. Obviously you will bleed a lot for the first few days especially and you will want to keep yourself as clean as possible so changing your pads quite often is a priority, particularly if you've been stitched. I was in for 3 days with my first baby and went through almost 3 packs of pads, although I'd been stitched so was paranoid about keeping the area clean to help the healing. One other word of advice - go for red or dark pyjamas/nightwear, then if you do leak a little it's not so obvious. I totally didn't think about this with mine and went in my best cream pj's which got ruined cos I got caught up in feeding my baby and didn't change my pad as soon as I should have - not nice!!

I took one pack of maternity towels in my bag but had two more packs at home for people to bring in for me if i needed them.. but i was discharged the morning after i had her so i didn't need the ones from home :)

hospitals do keep them in, so if u do run out its not big problem. our hospital had a box of them by the sink on the ward so i used them when i could and saved mine until i got home :rotfl:

lisa282 said:
One other word of advice - go for red or dark pyjamas/nightwear, then if you do leak a little it's not so obvious. I totally didn't think about this with mine and went in my best cream pj's which got ruined cos I got caught up in feeding my baby and didn't change my pad as soon as I should have - not nice!!

I'll second that :puke: lol

paradysso said:
hospitals do keep them in, so if u do run out its not big problem. our hospital had a box of them by the sink on the ward so i used them when i could and saved mine until i got home :rotfl:

I did that the first day i think!! :D

i went thru like a pack a day (10) but i like to feel really fresh and clean and would change the pad every time i did a wee! i hated them i always used tampons for periods i hated sitting in blood :puke:

I took one pack which would have been enough for a short stay but I had to stay in for six days so my Mum had to get me some more. I would recommend taking two packs and then if you need more you can get someone to bring them in for you.

I took one pack with me there was some in the hospital toilet if i had of run out

Thank you everyone, I will get loads and just pack enough for a couple of days i think. (I hope to be home as soon as possible anyway!)

Can I ask how many packs might be needed for the first few weeks? I'd rather buy now than have to send someone for them later.
Also, I've noticed that there are padded and unpadded ones. Which would be best?

i found the padded ones far nicer, and if ur having a vaginal birth will provide a bit of a cushion.

Check with your hospital to see if they provide them - if they do then use them and keep the ones u have bought for when u are at home.

Take two packs with you. I went through tons of them and had to send oh off to the shop to get me some more and the midwives only gave me a couple because they said they are not supposed to provide them.

i went through 4packs at the hospital in a 24hour stay!!xx

mothercare ones are great they have wings and i didnt / havent leaked out of them ! the tesco ones were ok but did leak/ move

i took 2 packs with me , needed a 3rd bringing in but i was in for 6 days post birth ,

on the pack it says 24 needed for first 48 hours

i took alot, i was changing every half an hour.. i hated that.

but you never know i say you need pads more then breasts pads... they where a waste of space in my hospital bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back