maternity towels question?

chelsea

Reaction score
do they have to be maternity towels or can you use the night time extra absorbancy pads? im writing what i have left to buy for the hospital bag and some lists says maternity towels, some say night pads? is there a difference?

and if its maternity pads, do you have to use them for all the time you are bleeding or can you use night pads when you come home?

i like the always night time towels as they are thinner than the horrible maternity pads but i have got both as maternity are alot cheaper :D

thanks, will grab a couple of both :D dont think OH would be rushing to tescos to go and buy night time sanitary towels :lol:

I bought Tescos own cheapo towels for the first few days! Then bought bulk packs of Always as they were on offer at the time.

so i can just get some night ones, that seems like it will be easier, i can just grab loads in wilkinsons when i get the other stuff from there

That's all i did when i came out of hospital. I'm pleased i bought Tesco 26p packs as i wore 4 at a time the 1st 3 days. Then night ones did the trick after that.

They advise that you use maternity towels as normal sanitary towels can mask signs of infection, but it is personal choice really. I used maternity towels as I had stitches and found that as they were so thick they made everything more comfortable! Plus, I found that the top layer of Always irritated the stitches.

okies, thanks for the replies, i will make a spur of the moment decision tomorrow amongst the bustle of xmas shoppers me thinks!! :lol:

Yes, my midwife also said they prefer maternity towels as it is easier for them to inspect! :puke:

Tesco do packs of 10 maternity towels for under a pound - I've bought a couple of those and my mum had some leftover super absorbant Mothercare ones (having a 9 month old brother has its uses! :rotfl: ) and hopefully by the time they run out I can use Always. Maternity towels look so huge I'm thinking I might need bigger knickers!!! :oops:

the hospital provided maternity towels for me, they were really thick; like wearing a nappy!

:D I couldnt believe it when the hospital showed me the maternity pads lol the size of them! I just used night time pads.

Tesco maternity towels and tesco nightime sanitary towels are identical. so, personally i think you can just use whatever is most comfortable.

Right, for the first few days after birth and whilst in labour/ water breaking you really should use maternity pads so the midwives can inspect as someone said earlier, rank I know but TBH you just don't care.

After that you can just use regular pads. But, the maternity pads are much comfier for the first week after birth as the cushion everything really well and stop any friction etc.

I got 4 pacs of 10 mat pads as they tell you to double up for the first few days after birth. After that I think I used one pack of night time/ super pads (always etc) and then down to normal pads for another week or so and finally ending with some panty liners till all bleeding/ lochia stopped.

Hope that helps.

xxx

maternity pads are softer and less irritable on your skin if u have stitches- normal sanitary pads have a layer on top which can stick to wounds n stitches- ouch! i used maternity pads for the first 2 weeks but i'd healed by the end of the first week and i think after 2 weeks i just used normal pads. x

The hospital provided me with a pack of pads but they were just normal big ass sanitary towels, not maternity. They were rubbish though and got all scrunched up and stuff. I got some boots ones and some mothercare ones and the boots ones were brilliant, they're really thick but so much more comfy than the others.

I agree with everyone about maternity towels being better because of infection and for padding. I had stitches and the thickness of maternity towels helped with the pain. I only bled for a couple of days but kept using the pads for comfort. I tried switching to normal, thinner ones, but the lack of cushioning along with the fact that those are designed to draw away moisture using chemicals REALLY hurt me. The way they are plastic feeling (no matter what the say) also hurt.

When I was in hospital I saved my own ones and used the hospital ones. They just used el-cheapo nighttime ones which were fine. However when I was at home after my waters had gone I used the Boots slim maternity towels and they were fantastic. The regular maternity towels just didn't cut it at that point. They were absorbent without the chemicals and rough topsheet that normal slim towels have.

I also used them when I got home and thought they were great - I suppose they weren't quite as absorbent as the "normal" towels but seeing as I was changing them all the time it didn't matter anyway. They were extremely comfortable too without the bulk - I had a 2nd degree tear and quite a lot of stitches. These ones - http://www.boots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ogId=11051

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back