how long do bottles stay sterilised for?

nds

Reaction score
i use the tommee tippee electric steriliser to do my bottles and if i recall correctly, the leaflets says bottles stay sterilised for 24 hours if lid is unopened - but says nothing about how long they are sterile for if i do open the lid?

so far i've just put the used bottle in there and set a cycle to sterilise them, and left it unopened until the next feed - is that what i have to do everytime? or are they still sterile for a period of time after i've opened the lid?

it seems a bit useless having six bottles in there and only being able to use one before having to put another cycle on?

sorry, i'm a total newbie and worrying i'm not doing it right
x

I can't remember exactly hun but I know I used to wash and sterilise all the bottles and then make them all up for that day (cooled boiled water in the bottles, formular in the lil pots) Seemed to work fine and meant they wern't sat around to air dry for hours on end :) x

i've tried to do some googling - few people saying theyve sterilised then fitted all the bottles together and left on side? i presume that's more sterile than leaving them in their pieces and fitting together once you come to use it after opening the lid?

just wasting electricity doing one bottle at a time :lol:

we use our perfect prep machine so don't need to make up.
x

I always used bottles within 24hrs even after taking them out.
I used to out cooled boiled water in them and leave them on the side with lid on until i neededto use one and topped with boiling water & then formula as an when needed.
By the evening i have te bottles sterlised readyfor the next day then xx

We've just sterilised once a day using the Tommee tippee and taken them out as we need them. As long as you put the lid back on in between, should be ok. We've not had any probs.

We've just sterilised once a day using the Tommee tippee and taken them out as we need them. As long as you put the lid back on in between, should be ok. We've not had any probs.

that sounds reasonable, wasn't sure if that was an option but that's good, at least i can wait and do it after a few feeds rather than one, if so!
x

We sterilise, put all the lids on and they go in the cupboard and used one by one. We have perfect prep machine so don't make up bottles in advance. Baby is gone four months now and no problems at all doing it this way. Hope you find a way that works for you x

I have a microwave sterilizer and once it's finished I take them all out, put them together and leave them on the side till I need them

Once a day and just use them as I did them from steam steriliser :)

okay.
i'm torn between doing them all, leaving them in the steriliser putting together when needed or removing them all once the cycle is complete and fixing together ready to use then?

x

okay.
i'm torn between doing them all, leaving them in the steriliser putting together when needed or removing them all once the cycle is complete and fixing together ready to use then?

x

Either is fine hun x

I have the TT electric steriliser and I just sterilise them all and take out a bottle when I need it. Then when I've used them all wash and sterilise all together again.

I had tt bottles and steriliser I used to sterilise each day and then put the tops on all the bottles. I then would use all the bottles within 24 hrs and then re sterilise again. Worked fine for my little one

I'm another who sterilises them then put the teets and lids on and use in 24 hours x x

wonderful, thank you. i have done that today, as surely you cant be expected to sterilise right before a feed else how would you go out? so this morning all bottles were sterilised and i have fixed them all together.
thank you!
x

Perfect, they will be absolutely fine like that and I'm proper OCD when it comes to bottles and sterilising! x

.....I've been sterilising all the time! I have the microwave TT and use Dr.Browns and TT bottles (Use the TT bottle to make the feed and transfer it into the Dr.Brown)
Once I've made the feed, I take a clean bottle one of each and the bits for the Dr.Brown bottle (There's about 5 pieces) and then put the microwave on to sterilise! 6 times plus a day....I'm really paranoid that once the lid has been opened they are unsterilised!
So if I sterilise all the bottles in the morning put them together leave to one side they would stay sterilised?

from what i gather from the responses yes? i presume as long as they are used asap. so if you sterilise three, and feed every two, six hours doesn't seem a long time to be out? or even kept in the steriliser?

i mean, why would they make a steriliser for six bottles at any one time if they became unsterile as soon as you opened the lid? you can't use more than one bottle at once, lol. the question is how long are they sterile for but even tommee tippee don't have a straight answer for that?
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back